When exactly did America overtake Britain as the cultural capital of the world?

When exactly did America overtake Britain as the cultural capital of the world?

>
>
>
>

What's so special about 1974?

Music and hippies

Did it? In terms of movies sure but I think more people learning English as a second language learn British pronunciation and British pop music is just as popular globally.

>America
>culture
It's yet to produce anything of value.

neither were ever the cultural capital of the world

America overtook it in being the economic capital when America put their money in businesses while Britain put theirs in colonies

owning 1/3 of the Earth was good for the pride but they ran out of money very quickly

Rock and roll and 99% of decent movies.

If exporting music on the radio and movies counts as culture probably 1965

I would just like to note that for the British broadcast of Rome, since the BBC had distribution rights they edited out all the historical context driving scenes, leaving largely those with violence and sex.

1849: The death of Poe showed the impact of American writers on world literature.
1851: Publication of Moby Dick.

How would you respond to someone who says that the USA is the most murderous regime in history?

I would think they're retarded

> Britain
> the cultural capital

The Jazz Age. The mass production of recorded music and film is what really brought America to the world.

our values are esposed through our media, which everyone on earth consumes voraciously.

we are indoctrinating everyone into our way of thinking, and the best part is they all ask, nay DEMAND it!

Cultural center that it is, truly Paris is the sign of things to come.

They are right if you count by highest murders per second.

You ever see the episode of South Park where Cartman was shoving hamburgers up his ass and all the fast food companies were in awe of his success at combining their flavors? It's kind of like that, but instead of fast food and ass particles, it's culture. (Which can be one in the same). Then of course with the cultural melting pot we emerged as the leading superpower: culturally, economically, and militarically after World War II.

as an American I am offended whenever I see someone like yourself spouting garbage, your loudmouthed ignorance is a damned nuisance

>but I think more people learning English as a second language learn British pronunciation
Untrue. While some language learning services give you the option of one or the other, most only have American English. As such, most people currently learn American English and don't use words like lorry or lift, but instead truck and elevator respectively. There's currently a semi-large row going on as websites are switching their English tag from the British flag to the American one. British fans of Hearts of Iron IV had such a huge tissy over it to the point where the flag was split in two.

If they're krauts

>Dresden should've happened sooner

If they're Japs

>2 were not enough

This. The 20s

It's never been the cultural capital. It's just been the economic capital since 1945.

Bigger economy.

Keep believing that, but you'll find American music playing on radios across the world, American movies in their theaters, American food chains on their streets, etc. American economic and political culture has infected the world over. You don't need to like American music, clothes, movies, politics or food to realize it's a pervasive and powerful force with a lot of money and muscle behind it.

It's not 'high culture' but it's culture, and it's virtually everywhere. People who go 'America has no culture' always make the deluded mistake of thinking a culture must grow independently in a location in a vacuum from other cultures, and cannot integrate other cultures, which is laughably absurd. They also somehow delude themselves that cultures can't fall under a wider umbrella (like 'western culture'), and if a culture has features of another it must be 'a ripoff' or 'not count'. You can have American culture be distinct from yet still a part of 'European culture' for example, just like north and southern Germany might have distinct cultures, but I digress.

What is the cultural capital of the world, if it isn't America?

The language originated in Britain though, it should be represented with the union jack.

U faggots wouldn't recognize culture if it hula hooped in your faces. America is king

Has it been, though?

Britain was never the cultural capital of the world at any point in history.

He said, on an american website, speaking a primarily (ar this point) American language.

Ok so, seeing as how the advent of true mass media made america primate amongst the cultural influencers, what enabled it to do so in contrast to other cultural giants of that era, such as France, Italy and Germany?

Not losing WW2/getting occupied.

>The language originated in Britain though, it should be represented with the union jack.

That's a bunch of bullshit. No one cares about the British dialects anymore, they use the American dialect. And Americans are 2/3 of native English speakers.

Even now we got quite the influence in music

A lot of programs and websites use the Brazilian flag to represent Portuguese.

Never because they overtook France, not britain.