What is German-American culture?

What is German-American culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Prager
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

American.

These are the good Germans who fled the nutjobs.

God I love the based midwest.

>German-American
Such an idiotic term, Americans with German ancestry don't even speak the language and have no cultural connection to Germany

They have German genes.

Blond chicks with 5/10 faces boning black dudes

Which basically amounts to nothing on its own.

More like it amounts to 90% of who you are.

Ingesting corn syrup

Ok, let me put it that way, the Turks born in Germany are more German than the """""""""""""""""""German"""""""""""""""""""-Americans.

Nope.

German genes aren't particularly distinct from those of other Europeans, especially considering that they're very mixed in America

But they are distinct from Turks.

I'm not

"muh blood" doesnt matter if its your only link to a certain culture; they dont speak german, they arent culturally german, why would that make them Germans?

Basically just "generic American", they don't have a recognisable culture. They don't even speak German or have an accent.

>genes don't matter
>the things that define your looks, cognitive abilities and entire personality are irrelevant
Nigger detected

>German
>culture
Pick one.

Which isnt enough to make you German. Look, we all know you're an American with an euromutt ancestry wanting to feel special, but you are not, you are American, nothing else.

Tbqh German culture in the US was on the decline during ww1 and non existent after ww2.
This thread will be shitted up with race bullshit but honestly culturally speaking the US is effectively Liberal Anglo culture in terms of white people with Protestantism and a preference to free markets ect laid down by the constitution. Even catholic whites like the Irish and Italians are effectively the same as WASP's but with small cultural nuances like st Patrick's day and abortion stances.
Only recently has culture been less assimilating in the US with Hispanics moving to the US but not giving up their home countries identity.
Basically Nations who migrated in early US history such as Germans, Anglos, Irish, Italians, French culture is now basically American culture which is a blend of all of their shit.

>being this much of a genetic determinist

great, another idiot who thinks people historically ever really cared about physical traits when it came to nationalism and not just culture. I guess that's why so many of the western European countries got along so well and considered eachother equals...oh wait.

/thread.

yes, and no
mostly no, since they are the same race

and race matters?

>More People in America who have German Ancestry than Anglo ancestry
>They Embrace Anglo culture completely which amounts to name changes, complete loss of the German language and even considering themselves Anglo-saxon

How did this happen?

>Be Euro expat in America
>Talk to a guy in a restaurant
>"Where are you from, dude with strange accent?"
>"I'm from France"
>"Oh that's nice, I'm German"
>"Kennst du das Land wo die Zitronen blühn?"
>"Huh?"

Anglo cultures is superior

Dey sure is

burgers and shitty beer

destroying other countries

This.
My grandpappy would get slapped for speaking polish because there was a strong desire to assimilate. The only thing really polish about my family anymore is nasty food, alcoholism, and kids born before 95 getting the shit scared out of them with stories about war and the bubak.

the bulk of ethnic German settlers migrated to America after the country and it's culture was already established, also their cultural heritage was repressed because of WW1 & 2 (Mainly WW1) so they just assimilated. If you look up some towns in the Midwest there are some German names like Bismarck and Frankfurt, I think.

>hyphenated American

Unacceptable

There is a decidedly Midwestern culture that exists in the Midwest that does not typify the rest of the United States. It's the result of German, Czech, Polish, and some Irish and Nordic immigrants/descendants. We're hardworking, no-nonsense sort of people with a weird sense of politeness that is simultaneously self-serving and totally self-sacrificing, and we don't see the contradiction. We're very Protestant, and if you think Catholic guilt is a thing, you've never met a Lutheran from Minnesota or a Confessional Presbyterian from Ohio-Pennsylvania. We have potlucks and picnics, eat casseroles and giant pasta dishes and nobody will take the last slice/scoop of any of them. Beer is an art form and a lifestyle. Housing is cheap and we'd never accept the kind of shit Californians and New Yorkers put up with as far as renting goes. We don't understand why dumplings and sauerkraut aren't a traditional Thanksgiving dish in the rest of the country. We fought, bled, and died for both sides of the Civil War, and we don't think that forms our identity. We're the butt of most jokes in this country, but we're also the core of its culture and labor. We keep your machines going, farm your corn, soybeans, and cows, and we don't ask thanks. Also we don't pretend to be more social and outgoing than we actually are, like Southrons do. At the same time, we aren't as rude as Yankees and West Coast faggots. We are America at its best.

>le I fail sixth grade biology class face

Frankfort as a name hasn't anything to do with the Frankfurt in Germany.

alright, didn't know about that. Still there are some towns with clearly German names in the Midwest.

Frankly this. Midwesterners are more down to earth than East and West coasters and smarter than Southerners. Truly the best Americans

It took many generations to assimilate irish, italians and the other ethnicities (it was an an uneven process). Hispanics are no different and despite what youd argue mexicans actually have a liberal tradition despite having a parallele authoritarian one

You may be salt of the earth people but you are not the movers and shakers, the drivers of innovation that make our country excel. No one desires to move to the midwest because there are no long term prospects in their future. If you consider yourselves the heart of the country then the coasts are the brain, you pump along but have no agenda.

Most people considered "German-Americans" are mixes, such as myself. I have no connection to Germany other than my great-grandparents being from there.

mongrel and abomination

Silicon valley isn't the only thing on the coasts. Places like Los Angeles or Miami could be nuked tomorrow and nothing of value would be lost, honestly.

Both coasts drive innovation friend.

Its this fucking humble bragging that the midwest does that's sickening. That stupid smug self superiority is irritating. The rest of the country doesn't buy into the 'oh look I just can't help being so gosh darn superior and humble' act.

There are not more Krauts than Anglos. Back in the '80s, before they added the "American" category, English was the biggest group. We haven't seen a mass exodus of English-Americans, nor have we seen a wave of German immigrants.
Combining English, "American," Irish, and other British groups, you'd get over a third of our total population. And that's not even counting people who're mainly British, but call themselves German on censuses, because they had one German Grandma.

It just feels weird to mention "the coasts" so broadly, most places on the coasts are completely useless.

Illinois, Ohio, Michigan are all in the top 10 of the GDP chart.

Muh ancestry yanks is one of the most annoying characteristics of this subpar country.

>More people in America have Germany ancestry than Anglo ancestry
Proof?

From where in Germany did most German-Americans come from?

Despite making up a massive percentage of white America, German-American culture barely exists today outside of the Amish. The vast majority of German immigrants were simply grist for the Anglo-American mill, ground up and pressed into the WASP mold.

We don't mind it much.

Nonsense, we are a humble people. The most humble in fact. You will never find anyone as humble as we are.

anywhere really, but many came from the southern parts of Germany

not very humble of you to brag about how humble you are

>but many came from the southern parts of Germany

Hmm, I have a hunch that the reason why so many Germans assimilated so easily in America is because they came from parts of Germany with a tradition of decentralized political culture, like Bavaria, the Rhineland or former free imperial cities such as Frankfurt and Hamburg, instead of Prussia.

Bavaria was a kingdom since the middle ages.
I think it didn't really matter where the German immigrants came from, they mostly emigrated for the same reasons and chose America because they liked the oppertunities it offered.

Do you know who Garrison Keillor is by chance?

Pretty much but could you call them German still? They assimilated to the point that most don't even know how to speak German or have any German traditions, they're definitely more American than German in terms of culture. Also don't forget those who mixed with the natives in the Midwest and the Mestizos in the Southwest. Most German Americans I knew had some sort of Native or African in them, does anyone know just how common this is in most Americans?

Well we know that Mexicans/Latinos can assimilate into American culture but here in the Southwest(California) with all the illegal immigration going on, there's very little incentive to do so.

I bet you cant pronounce your own last name

Which aren't a thing since populations migrate and interbreed constantly. Even then most white Americans, including Germans are mongrels. They have zero cultural connection to Germany, and the average Turk or Syrian living in Germany understands what it means to be German more than the average German-American.

Oh fuck off with this cuck bullshit, the average Turk doesn't even have a high enough IQ to tie his own shoes, much less understand German culture.

Neither does the average "German"-American

Explain how these "dumb savages" are replacing your "superior" G*rm genes AND culture in your own "homeland"?
>G*rms 0
>T*rks 9001

Visit Gelsenkirchen and your delusions will vanish in minutes.

Drink shnaps, eat frankfurter

Historically... self-sufficiency, progressivism, skepticism.

Today... self-sufficiency, quiescence, piety.

German Americans were the driving force of American labor movements up until the 1950s, and completely dominated leftism everywhere except the Coasts. Over time they got richer and World War persecution forced them to abandon much of their cultural identity.

Today they're just suburban and rural churchgoers largely indistinguishable from Anglos.

Warum?

Basically the only time German-American culture is relevant is when Oktoberfest happens.

Blame Kaiser Willy II for making it uncool to be a German in America.

Go to Germany and you'll meet dozens of ethnic Turks who are just normal Germans with a tan

>Today they're just suburban and rural churchgoers largely indistinguishable from Anglos.

Isn't that the point of being assimilation in the US?

>tfw when great great grandfather was sent to america by his family to insulate him from serving in the prussian wars

"""""German"""""

>no elsass

"""""""""not German"""""""""

Because it feels like being teleported to the middle of Ankara and not like being in Germany.

I live in Germany and not falling for your Propaganda, Turk nigger.

Sure, but German Americans are invisible.

Except for some neighborhoods in Baltimore and NY and some nearly homogeneous towns in Texas and the Midwest, there is NO German American cultural consciousness. German culture, to Americans of German extraction or otherwise, exists only in caricature. The few German-themed bars and restaurants in this country are as authentic as Disneyland. By contrast, Irish, Italian, Mexican, and Chinese cultural establishments are essentially universal. While these spaces are also tailored toward Anglo-American mores, they represent a sincerity never extended to German culture.

This is due to a variety of social factors, most importantly the early 20th c persecution that figuratively forced the Germans underground.

People were hating on Germans long before ww1. Check out the know-nothing party, a major American political party that, summed up, was all about 'fuck immigrants, fuck Germans, fuck Chinese, and fuck Catholics'.

Its just that when ww1 started, people started getting lynched for speaking German in public.

have you a case of people get lynched for speaking german?

They gave us burgers, hot dogs, and a lot of our other foods.

the German's homeland helped in this respect to ensure their culture was abandoned or played down

you are wrong though in that there is fine german dining to be had in this country outside what you describe

regards, teutonic gourmand

>Baltimore
The fuck, Baltimore? Try Cincinnati.

Anglos truly are subhumans.

zimmerman telegram and find out fgt!

>subhumans killing other subhumans
more news at 11

>literal forgery

I heard it on a history program about the prohibition. How the anti-German sentiment at the time was a big contributor for passing anti-alcohol ordinances.

But a quick google search I found this instance of German lynching.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Prager

it was not a forgery you dunderhead

Ironically all the places you mentioned are coastal (Great Lakes). Illinois is about to default on $19 billion in owed debt ans is going to be the first state ever in the history of the US to be downgraded to junk bond status, Ohio's best days are long gone and it's sad to see such a once vital state get hit so hard by outsourcing and job loss. Upper midwest has a lot of industrial history that the great plains region/heartland is lacking and can be grouped as a different entity.

Most families whose ancestors came during that wave of immigration probably don't speak the language, regardless of origin.

Baltimore got a shitton of German immigrants after WW1, giving them a far more intimate connection to the German identity than anywhere else on the East Coast and much of the German American interior.

Cincinbati is the germanest city in America.

not necessarily true, there exists a fledgling community of pennsylvanian germans in the same area that the amish inhabit

Kill or be killed.

so many europeans are hung up on these types of maps. that in the best case is only a "snapshot" of american culture. showing where many settled, but only for a time.
america is far more diverse than this map suggest.
i live in a "gray" area on this map, but have at least four different lines of german-american ancestry, and in fact was born in germany.
i still would not consider myself a german-american...just american.

That wasn't true for the 19th and early 20th century. There were entire towns in the Midwest that spoke only german. The cultural shift only came about after WW1.

I got lucky it's Americanized and pretty much entirely matched up with Anglo pronunciation.

I live in Illinois and we couldn't even pass a budget so there are absolutely no construction workers on the roads

open a book