Recommend good historical films that don't get bogged down in reddit-tier character dramas? pic related...

recommend good historical films that don't get bogged down in reddit-tier character dramas? pic related. my favourites are this and Henry V. Watching Paisan for first time tonight. Opinions on Gallipoli? Mel Gibson one of course

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films#Most_expensive_films_.28adjusted_for_inflation.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzmannschaft_Battalion_118
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Try look in cinema of previous century. In our days Hollywood is garbage

>character drama is reddit and therefore bad

well the three films I mentioned were all 20th century but I take your point, I don't expect any post-2008 film to be good. Same with post 90's tv shows there's just never any good ones

Henry V is a character drama but there are common trends with reddit drama (usually it's very bad character drama written by a someone with an unwarranted massive ego).

If I tried to describe reddit drama I'd say it's where the character interactions don't service the plot. Obviously this can be good though if a good writer and director are behind the movie.

>if I don't like it that means its reddit

Tora Tora Tora! and Patton are two of the best Hollywood historical epics, the first especially is incredibly historically accurate, I really feel more like calling it a dramatic or theatric documentary than just a movie.

Waterloo is good too, but has a few cheesy moments (e.g. when one of the British soldiers runs out during the cavalry charge yelling "Why do we fight!? WHY DO WE DO IT!?), but otherwise is a pretty accurate account of the battle with good actors and very impressive action sequences.

>posts TNG
yeah so you're reeddit. Kindly wait for the next movie thread.

>Tora Tora Tora!
This movie was way ahead of its time, definitely underappreciated

This

Cinema is a money-making machine now. Hollywood doesn't care about making movies good

>one person has a reaction image of a show that describes how he feels when you're a fucking retard
>the reaction image comes from one of the most popular shows of all time that isn't disproportionately shown on reddit or associated with its culture
>therefore the person is reddit
Shut up faggot, and put a bullet in your head.

Checked.

It was always mostly about making money, but, in the old days, you could afford to take more risks with artsy movies and things like historical epics. The movies that really killed the historical epic as a genre were Waterloo and Alexander, I think; while they weren't bad movies (imo at least), they performed very poorly in the US market (even today, you can only find DVD or Blu Ray of Waterloo by importing it from Russia, despite the fact that the movie was a collaboration project in English). So, historical epics are a genre considered very risky largely because those two movies bombed as much as they did.

The big reason we're in a slump in terms of good movies is because movies cost more than ever, so if they bomb, then it means that you've lost some studio tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars. It's much less risky to make movies with an already established fan base (see the Marvel Cinematic Universe for this) than it is to either create an original story, adapt a relatively obscure piece, or do a historical event (or, at least, relatively obscure events).

This page kind of proves my point on the box office budgets: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films#Most_expensive_films_.28adjusted_for_inflation.29

>that isn't disproportionately shown on reddit or associated with its culture
holy kek

no. Just wait for the next thread senpai these suggestions aren't meant for someone with your taste. It's in the OP.

I don't even agree that much with the other guys, but a show that ended 11 years before reddit was founded isn't really associated with its culture. If they posted a picture from like Rick & Morty or Steven Galaxy or whatever it's called, then you'd have a point.

Character dramas are trash.

>Иди и cмoтpи
Come and see
A world war 2 film that hasn't fallen to romanticism. A boy joins the resistance when his village gets invaded by the Germans.

Russian stylistically grim. I would go as far as to call it a study of the devastation of war.

character drama has a new meaning now. Most of the films listed here are character dramas, now "character drama" just means pseudo-play-like character drama.

gonna sperg out drawing on really pretentious tv critique knowlege here, not claiming this is my own analysis or anything, but TNG and another show from that period revolutionised television in massive way. Look at the difference between TOS and TNG, it's the introduction of shit drawn-out stories in place of supposedly better character interactions. Gone from individual writers pitching story ideas and scripts in TOS centred around single concepts or just good fiction, to a writing staff committed to 22 episodes per year with no ideas so they have to change the format completely.

Also he honestly he couldn't have picked a better picture to represent 'nerd culture', nerd culture being the entre backbone of reddit culture. Not saying you couldn't trace Veeky Forums culture back to anime faggotry or something just as bad but TNG is classicly reddit and the two TNGfags I know irl just happen to be redditors. I'd imagine most people have this experience with TNG fans.

Soviet propaganda

Maybe some TNG fans, but TNG is an old enough show that, because it predates Reddit, it's still largely free of that; I grew up watching reruns of it in the 90's and early 2000's because my dad watched the show (he grew up watching TOS). I'd guess that most TNG fans are similar, in that they're either too old to use Reddit (like my dad) or just like the show. TNG is also such a pervasive show that it's basically permeated anywhere with a sizeable population of people who like sci-fi. There were TNG memes on Veeky Forums and other sites before Reddit was a thing (the Picard Song is from 2004, for example).

It definitely fit 1985 Russia in war - nationalism fuel. Interestingly these movies often project their own acts of horror as the enemies, as they were most familiar with this. Partially accurate, they mostly portrayed the German Death squads who volunteered to take on these roles. The crimes committed are real.

That said they overly portrayed the Germans as non-human psycho's and ofcourse most soldiers were the regular Joe's.

They used real bullets and explosives, portraying frightingly realistic scenes at times. The humanity side and reaction of the main character is written and executed exceedingly well. A study is acknowledging propaganda and inconsistencies and still be able to take the good source material.

The soldiers in question were not Germans, they were Ukrainians. The filmnaker just changed them to Germans because he didn't want to spark animosity between Belarusians and Ukrainians in the USSR.

Didn't know, I should get my head out of my ass. Thank you user.

I liked Lawrence of Arabia

I seen a thread a few days ago about come and see, I decided to take a look.

It destroyed my mood, but it was a good experience, It really captures the horror of war in an excelent way, and all that in the eyes of a young boy who gets absolutely destroyed during a small period of time since he decided to join the resistance. The only thing I didn't enjoy is how long some slow scenes were. I understand why the director chose to do that, but it could be a bit tiresome at some points.

You may see it as propaganda, but I believe you are wrong. It doesn't raise nationalistic pride but rather makes you feel digusted by the horror of war. Also, the soviets are not romanticized but are pictured as cold as they need to be in the situation they are in, grabing animals from villagers ect. If anything, this movie is anti-war propaganda, at best.

>Dirlewanger Brigade
>Ukrainians
t. Hans

It wasn't the Dirlewanger brigade but these guys: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzmannschaft_Battalion_118
That said, there were indeed Ukrainians in the Dirlewanger brigade too.

Nah senpai, these things lose money on paper. There's a whole legal industry of bullshit that makes film-making cost virtually nothing at the cinema level because of weird bankruptcy and subsidiary laws.

Jarhead? I think it's a good film about the Gulf War and American interventionism.

I liked Gallipoli, even if it has an Orientalism vibe to it.

>f-15s

muh fukin dik

Waterloo had like 15000 Soviet Army extras which was awesome

For someone who doesn't like character dramas, you seem to like movies where the main character is the main driver of the drama. Hell their movies are even named after them.

Please stop spreading lies.

I liked Generation kill better.

Almost half of Dirlewanger Brigade were Russians and Ukrainians, mostly former POWs. Brainlet.

Can any spanier recommend this, is it accurate?

> "Why do we fight!? WHY DO WE DO IT!?
Because they were Dutch mercenaries paid to do it by British aristocrats who didn't want France to compete with them in the overseas trading business?

Are the Brits actually that fucking vainglorious?

Did they actually kill the donkeys /tv/?

>Soviet

*Veeky Forums

>films that don't get bogged down in reddit-tier character dramas?
>Henry V

They came from the USSR, making them soviets

Tora Tora Tora! is amazing

Michael Bay can suck my dick