When did Romans stop reclining to eat? Was it a custom that went out the door after Christianity...

When did Romans stop reclining to eat? Was it a custom that went out the door after Christianity, or did it continue well into the Byzantine period?

That is something I didn't know about.
I can't answer your question but perhaps you can answer mine;
Why did they recline to eat? Surely it would give them stomach pains from the funny position?

Looks uncomfortable

When they stopped slicing the Achilles tendon of their women to immobilize them.

Absolutely true

It seems kinda stupid and unnatural.

I don't know exactly why, but I presume eating any other way was seen as barbaric. Remember how Cato protested against Caesar by sitting down to eat until he was removed from power.

>When they stopped slicing the Achilles tendon of their women to immobilize them.

Source on them doing that?

>I don't know exactly why, but I presume eating any other way was seen as barbaric.
Actually the vast majority of romans ate sitting at a table. Reclining was something for high class dinner parties. You wouldn't see a middle class roman eating while reclining. You wouldn't see any class of romans reclining at a formal dinner. Hell you wouldn't see a woman or a boy reclining in any occasion until the late republic.
Reclining was literally just a status symbol, likely of greek (although probably reaching Rome through the etruscans) origin. I'm unaware of when it stopped being a thing, tho.

>You wouldn't see any class of romans reclining at a formal dinner.
Fug, I meant at an informal meal.

I think the image is incorrect. You eat on your back reclined and is comfy.

>t.guy who eats in bed.

HOW DID THAT FORM OF EATING CAME TO BE? IT SEEMS BOTH, UNHYGIENIC, AND UNCOMFORTABLE.

Did any other culture adopt this custom? The egytians come to mind.

Greeks and etruscans both reclined too.

Why do you have a picture of supining romans when you are talking about reclining romans?

You mean prone.
Supine is laying on back.

seemed like it was a Greek custom, so naturally if feel out of favor when Greek culture did

that and it's hard to do that outside of the Mediterranean (kinda like how they adopted pants)

>it's hard to do that outside of the Mediterranean
Why even.

What's the comfiest way to eat your food?

>food falling on your neck and down your shirt hole
No thanks.

Do you not know how to sit at a table? If you're not a retard, the food lands on the table and not on your lap.

Sitting on a padded chair rigid enough to support your lower back while getting your food off a table coming up about rib-high. Room temperature between 19°C and 24°C, indirect lighting, no extraneous noise nor smells.
Other people and entertainment optional depending on taste.

a lot of things in roman culture stand out to me like that
like "hey get a load of how great we are we just completely lie down while eating because why not"

With your fingers.

I'm a simple man. I just want my leg rest.

So was a communal ass wipe cleaner but they did that too.

Nutrient enema

The Greeks believed it would not put a strain on the digestive system.
All classes were known to try to eat reclined at dinners and such, but standing was just as good. Sitting at the table for them seemed unnatural, as you would have to bent your body irregularly. As long as your legs and torso were relaxed and straight, that was the goal.