History of Ireland

I am an Australian born, whose father comes from Ireland. Neither he, nor my grandparents wish to speak about the past of it due to the difficulties of their lives. So I was wondering if the good people of this board would be able to give me some good starting points and websites to learn about Irelands past.

Other urls found in this thread:

celt.ucc.ie
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wikipedia

The UCC CELT Project is very good for primary sources

celt.ucc.ie

It contains digitised versions of all the major Irish historical works, in English, modern Irish, and the Irish of the period

Says the History of Ireland page on Wikipedia is a pretty okay brief overview, and you can look at the sources and citations on that page for books

*blocks your path*

When will the Irish finally pay restitution to the UK for managing Northern Ireland on their behalf? The Republic has been getting a free ride for too long.

We'll to start with you should learn a both the Four Invaders of Ireland
>Celts
>Vikings
>Normans
>British ( Under Henry)
Then ireland under british rule, up to the Anglo-Irish War and independance, ending with the troubles and today.
That's a very limited guidelines obviously they're just starting points. You might get what you want out of pic related, I haven't read it personally (it's been on the list for months) but it might be worth trying
t. irishman

You can keep the orange fuckers we don't want them.

>History of Ireland
To summarize:

early
>"WE WUZ CELTS N SHEIT, WE USED TO SHIT IN ME WOODS N DRANK EARLY GUINESS MADE OUTTA DEER PISS N ME MA'S BLOOD"
medieval
>"FUCKING VIKINGS, STOP RAIDING ME DA'S SHED"
19th century
>"WHERE ME LUCKY POTATOES"
colonial
>Ginger was a anagram for N_gger and they sure as hell got the same treatment by the Natives
20th century
>"POPE AKHBAR"
today
>pay denbts

Solid recommendation but also don't fall into the trap of 'ohh poor Ireland, Irish dindu nuffin'

The genocide of the Picts by the Irish is well documented, our countrymen are also on record under the British Army carrying out some pretty horrific shit, especially in India.

Also please, please, please, remember 1916 =/= war of independence, even here in Ireland I constantly run into people who think that it does. It may have been a big turning point but that doesn't mean it's the official start.

t. Another Irishman.

>Celts
Pretty much no archaeologists believe there was a 'Celtic' invasion anymore. I think some of them go too far with the Celtoskepticism but it is clear that the popular idea of the Celts is pure memery.

Also, while Vikings are pretty memey too. The Norse were hugely important in transforming the Irish economy and hence the political landscape, but the actual raids hardly mattered much beyond Iona. The Irish themselves burned monasteries about as often as the Vikings, even rival monasteries did it.

As a whole I think modelling Irish history as a series of invasions is a pretty bad way to look at it. Some were clearly important, like the Normans and Tudors, and maybe the Beaker culture in the Bronze Age, but other periods were far more shaped by internal developments and international contacts; the spread of Christianity and the development of monasticism being the most obvious example.

I don't think there was a genocide of the Picts. Nobody's really sure when the Irish settled western Scotland, it may have been in prehistory or late antiquity, but the but the early medieval merger with the Picts of eastern Scotland seems to have been acculturation more than anything else. I've never heard any suggestion of 'genocide'.

If you want Irish crimes of that period look at the piracy and slave raiding on the Welsh and English coasts instead.

>The genocide of the Picts by the Irish is well documented
fucking people out of existence isn't genocide my man

Irish History-without blowing it out of proportion into an anglo-loved tale of bullying-is as follows:

>Boring but very pretty island
>People on the island fight fight for control of more of the island
>Who are these norse faggots
>Oh god, they're killing us, if only we had a more unified kingdom and army to defend against them
>Cool, we have a more unified kingdom and army
>Norse eternally and entirely blown the fuck out by Máel Sechnaill Mac Domnaill
>Normans and the then-english spot the island and decide they want it
>Bickering Irish chiefs mean that once again there's little to stop them
>Rebellion every generation, all are crushed but a few are huge (One of them brought England to its knees financially and almost cucked it out of becoming a world power, thanks Hugh you faggot)
>English autism rules the island very poorly for a long time
>British autism rules the island very poorly for a long time
>Not even talking about outright abuse, just general ineptitude and inconsideration for bogshits
>"Look at me. We are the post-office now."
>English autism in their reaction to 1916 is so huge that they create a desire for freedom where previously there was none
>If they'd handled 1916 properly Ireland would probably still be Britsh
>A sudden Michael Collins appears
>Bends Britain over and spanks them, births a nation, culture and economy out of fucking nothing
>Wins war of independence, starts wrapping it up and negotiating with eternal neighbours
>De Valera and his anti-treaty jews shoot him
>Remaining statesmen that Collins liked try and implement his plans but can only do part of them
>Instead of a irish gaelic paradise free of English oppression we have an absolute abortion of Ulster's eastern provinces and an anglo-american corporate tax haven
>Maze Escape was pretty hype

>Pictish women preferring fat irish cock to tiny pitctish pricks is genocide

Another solid example, i can't remember where I read up on it but there was a few consistent references to genocides in the east of scotland, sadly I'd have to get all my books from Ireland to track down where I'd read it from since I left most behind when I move.

Never said it was, but it probably helps tho ;;;;;;)

>The genocide of the Picts

>>A sudden Michael Collins appears
>>Bends Britain over and spanks them, births a nation, culture and economy out of fucking nothing
>collins won the WoI
don't like the anglo fetishization of him, you know it's just because he's the one who capitulated

History of the Irish
History of biting the hand that fed them

*takes away the food*

>t. Dev shitter

bag a cans with the lads

>History
>Ireland
Pick one.

Nothing but being bitter crybabies over Protestantism

thanks a lot mate, good shit