You wake up and its 1717

So you wake where you went to sleep up and suddenly it is 1717.
You got plain but good period clothing of the region, some silver coins, a bag with 100 Spanish gold Doubloons a flint lighter and a small knife.

How do you fare? Will you snuff it in the wilderness? Will you have a pleasant life? Or maybe you got enough knowledge to change the world for the better?

>burgers outside the original 13 colonies get long rifle, a horn of powder, enough lead to match the powder, bullet mold/plier and a trade axe
>also a horse if doubles

>anzacs get a pistol, powder, lead &mold a big knoife and a compass
>dingy or horse if doubles

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_War
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>central North Carolina
I guess go to Salem, it shouldn't be more than a days ride this time of year. Maybe get my bearings and stake out some land in the Appalachians, settle down, and become just another illegal settler.

fuck

t. Was at Chestnut Mtn in Galena yesterday

>no dubs
guess it will be a long walk then

imediatelly start writing down the theory of relativity, evolution, electromagnetism and others. pretty much singlehandedly advance humanity by at least a century, becoming its leader in the process.

if i didnt know any of these things or didnt possess any knowledge of the future i would try to find a job herding goats, since i have some experience on that.

>Washington State
Spend my entire life prepping the natives to resist Manifest Destiny.

>Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

Continue walking until I see someone.

Ideally if they're Indian, they decide that they should help this lost paleface to the nearest white man settlement.

Even more ideally, it's not an Indian and I don't end up buried up to my face next to an anthill.

>So you wake where you went to sleep up and suddenly it is 1717.
My house was built in the 1700s.
I'm unsure about the timing, but chances are I'm gonna wake up sharing a bed with my many great-gramps (who'll probably try to stab me). Or if I'm very lucky, a pretty grand-aunt (who'll screech bloody murder and get me stabbed).
In any case, I'm gonna get rekt.

Irish?

i'd have to walk thousands of kilometres to get to the nearest trade outpost so I'm just gonna hunt me some injuns til I get got

I would just live the same life in the same big city that I do. Maybe get into trade or buy land out west or something.

Cool.

I fall off of my horse, get one foot stuck in a stirrup, and get dragged along for fifty miles to the nearest town.

My mangled, corpulent body is a source of confusion and mystery for generations to come.

Italian.

>New York City

Walk to settlement. Buy lodging somewhere. Claim to be a physician and open a practice. My general knowledge of stuff like germ theory would theoretically make me the best physician in the world, despite having no actual medical training. Write treatises on as many scientific concepts as I can remember, mail them to the royal society. Hope none of this gets me killed.

>no dubs
>no horse

>gold country
I'd just be the first person to pan for gold in California and become dumbass rich probably. or get killed by drunk Mexicans, either outcome is likely

Make my way to Botany Bay. If I last long enough maybe I become a passing interest to the Brits.

>My general knowledge of stuff like germ theory would theoretically make me the best physician in the world, despite having no actual medical training.
Yes, knowing what germs are certainly is gonna help you cure people who you can't diagnose of illnesses you don't know the treatment for.
Yea, that's gonna go down well.

>imediatelly start writing down the theory of relativity, evolution, electromagnetism and others. pretty much singlehandedly advance humanity by at least a century, becoming its leader in the process.
lol yeah right. no one would believe you.

>Wake up in the Las Vegas Valley in 1717.
>In July.
Well, I'm dead. I'll try my best to live off jack rabbits and tortoises until I make it to the mountains. From there, try to find some Paiutes, use my half-assed Spanish to communicate with them (if they know any white man tongue in this region at this time, it's Spanish). I'll do my best to live with them, do as I'm told, adopt their ways, and be as grateful and appreciative as possible. Ballpark estimate, I give my plan an 8% chance of success, but it's my best bet.

>ur smurt, you can be our leader
said no one ever

>My general knowledge of stuff like germ theory would theoretically make me the best physician in the world
>lol just wash that broken leg with soap and water lmao

I live on reclaimed wetlands, so I'd wake up several meters under muddy water and drown.

this
and assuming I didn't, I'd get scalped by native mercenaries worknig for the French

How naive, the right thing is to do magic tricks like turning water into wine so people think you're Jesus. And while you're at it, teach people some modern medical knowledge. Congradulations, you are now a God.

>georgia
>start panning for gold in Dahlonega
>buy slaves
>mine gold
>design minie ball, percussion cap, breech loading, brass cartridge, etc

>Richmond, VA
City hadn't been built yet, so the closest major settlement would be Petersburg. Assuming I could make it there, I'd then go east to Norfolk and hitch a ride somewhere farther north, because staying in the South during the middle of the summer and without air conditioning would be living hell.

>Oklahoma
I'd be fucked but I'm only a few miles from the Verdigris river, which is a tributary of the Arkansas so I guess I'd make my way to the Mississippi and New Orleans.

>it's going to be another 63 yeara before even Fort Nashborough is established

Try my god damn hardest to make it to Virginia, Georgia, or New England in general, but probably die before even making it to east Tenneessee.

Hopefully some Indian chief takes me hostage.

I love how this type of thread brings out into the open all the morons
>I KNOW GERM THEORY THAT MEANS I CAN BE A DOCTOR
>I KNOW ELECTROMAGNETISM SURELY EVERYONE IS GOING TO BELIEVE ME

Fall to my death.
Or wake up on a tall pine.

Wake up in sand dunes, walk to the center of town that is very close. But some property as soon as I can, but Will probably get un trouble for not showing enough chatolic fervor or disrespecting some one get my coins confiscated and suffer under the inquisición called a devil worshiper for my strange use of the language.

Well I'll spend a week hysterically hiding from the local Maori before they catch me and eat me. No real other viable option desu

>south padre island Texas
Matamoros, a Spanish colony, is a short hike away. So I guess I become a conquistador?

walk to Providence

Buy a print-shop, start a publishing company which primarily focuses on newspapers. Write and publish my own novels using modern narrative techniques, telling stories which would probably be way ahead of their time, but at least it would cement my place in history when future generations reread them. I mean fuck, even just writing a novel about life in the year 2017 would be enough to totally blow their minds, and nobody had ever really even conceive of writing fictional stories about the future in 1700. I mean fuck, I could probably get away with rehashing "Star Wars" using 1700's sensibilities.

start a family, live as normal a life as I can for being a man totally out of his comfort zone and familiar culture. Bet my children's future on the British winning the French and Indian War and America winning the revolution.

In Alaska. Rip.
At least I have the rest of the summer to try and go south

Actually. I live on the East Coast of the US so I'd buy some gear and go join a trading company or setup a small farm with slaves.

In my leisure time I would write essays on how freedom or religion only should include Christians as I would predict that Muslims would use it in 400 years time to take over Europe and destroy Christianity.

>Dresden in 1717
Use my modern day knowledge and pretend I'm some sort of incognito nobleman à la Comte de St. Germain, then I'm gonna party with August the Strong. After all I speak sufficient French for courtly adventures and am richly equipped with money.

Become the wealthiest person in Carlsbad, turning the city into my own during few years due to extensive knowledge of local springs and their locations, use my knowledge of local coal mines (ignored at the time). Start a huge family to whom I would give time capsules with instructions on the region and how to use it at said time (for most recent times, they would get the knowledge of lithium deposits). During this time, unless politically destroyed, my family could become beyond-Rotschild infuential and rich (they would have some minor knowledge on most important historical event that would happen, giving them insane boost).
Love central Europe.

South Eastern PA
Walk into town a few miles away. And just live simple life farming.
Maybe head down to philly and try to get an apprenticeship and make some money. Try and befriend young Benjamin franklin and dick around then go fuck French chicks.
Pray I don't get yellow fever or anything worse than a common cold.

It really shows how little the average Veeky Forums poster really knows and just how much salt you should take with any answer here

Every dumb fuck in this thread who thinks they're going to end up the richest or smartest in town needs to pull their head out of their arse. You'd be lucky to last a week before becoming the town butt boy and dying from 13 different diseases.

>Be a Chink
>Live in New York
>Go to the wharf and sign up for an expedition to the Orient

>Sydney,Australia.

Yeah I'd be fucked. I'd have to wait another 71 years for civilization to arrive. I'd probably get killed and eaten by Abos in less than a week.

scratch that, only 53 years. I could wait for Captain Cook.

Hightail it to Vienna, get a phd, become a professor, start a newspaper.

Will fully fantasize about this when not drunk but hooly shit. I'm a science historian (normally we just say scientist) and out in injun territory.

>be CHI in Los Angeles
I could either join the Chumash or get mistreated by the Spanish missionaries due to being a mestizo.

But how 'valuable' in the contemporary market of, lets say, New England/West Indies circa 1717, would 100 Spanish gold doubloons be worth?

> Be in a Holy Roman Imperial Free City
> Fucking rich to boot
> Have no idea what would be a good business opportunity in this day and age
> Regret not reading up on this particular time period
> Remember it's pretty far off from both the 30yw and the French revolution, so it's probably economically stable
> Remember that I have a shitton of scientific knowledge exceeding that of most people of this age

At this point, all bets are off. I might try to invest in local businesses, use my money to hire craftsmen to build advanced machines, or maybe just keep my head down, try to find a job and live off my Spanish gold.

>be english
>wake up
>walk to nearest town that is 2 miles away
>it's already been there for a thousand years
>go to my favourite pub from the modern day
>have drink
>invent the separate condensor 60 years early
>get rich
>get married
>have kids
>back in the modern day my face is on the £50 note

>aspergers syndrome diagnosed

>You wake up and its 1717
Damn! I should escape Europe full of slavery and go to somewhere with out shitty slavery, an Africa, an America, a forgotten tropical island, etc..

Exactly 400 Spanish Dollars, or 3200 Reales or 677g of Gold.
>4-5 years yearly wages for a common worker.

Inland South Carolina.

Technically in the original 13. I probably have to walk to Charles Town. Hopefully the subsistence farmers I meet along the way don't murder me.

DESU I'd probably try to found not!mormonism and die horribly. Do I still get a horse if I'm in the original 13? SC was a shithole. Still is.

>no dubs
>no horse
now walk it off!

A-at least I'm white...

Why, I got tons of gold, I know that water powered simple textile engines are worth a fortune and I'd know how to build a simple cotton gin or spinning mule.

Plus you got lots of moniez and Jack Ketch keeps the road save and people civilized.

>wake up, probably in a field
>find a new place to stay since my dorm probably hasn't been build yet
>go to university after that, like usual
>at night, have sweet rapier fights with other students, drink and fuck like crazy and just have a good time

>Spanish gold
But Great Britain is becoming the leading power as quickly as it just appeared
Also tutour to someone and lectures at the royal society because Britain is the most enlightened country, then make sure catholic legislation gets through

>wake up in 1717
>contract tubercolosis, smallpox, bubonic plague, or parasites
>die

Why do people actually believe this?

>Spanish gold
Spanish gold and silver was the most common currency at the time, and will stay so for a long time. One of the preps if you hold the worlds best gold and silver mines.

>invent the separate condensor 60 years early
Ok lets see, the Newcomen machine is brand new, you will have patent issues with good Thomas himself, plus you only got a 100 Doubloons of capital, thats 80 guineas, which is about a 1/3 of what a single engine costs.

I'm black so I'm pretty much fucked.
Wouldn't be surpised if some injuns butchered me for some weird ritual.
If I somehow manage to survive and make it to white civilization it's a toss up between becoming a slave or some curiosity as a literate nigger who knows math.

i only have to build a model scale to get some investment, newcomen was working under the savery patent and whilst it was difficult to get a new patent their is enough difference between a seperate condensor and saverys basic steam pump to warrant the issuing of the patent, i could also steal some of watt's other shit like the fly wheel, the fly ball governor and the sun and planet gears so i can take steam power out of the realms of just being used in mines for pumping and into the manufacturing industry.

>consider suicide because I missed Louis XIV and it is too soon to listen to Rameau
>Will kill John Law and go to a Vivaldi opera before offing myself though

>Wake up
>Still invaded by Scottish protestants
>Same thing we do every night Pinky

Time to slit some throats.

>canberra, Australia
Well its pretty fucking cold, so assuming I survive the night I'll bail to the coast, enjoying delicious kangaroo on the way. Once i get tothe NSW coast I'm gonna build a cosy cottage on the beach and farm Roos, fish for snapper all day err day. If I get bored might try and leg it north for some of that sweet 18th century Chinese poon.

Thing is, i dont really have good medical knowledge.I'd probably manage to "discover" penicilin but not much more

>Little farmer's town in North-Brabant, Netherlands.
Well first of all I'd fall a small distance to the ground since I sleep on the second floor on a house built in the last century.

Then I suppose I'll just use the gold to get myself to Amsterdam and see if I can get into the trading business. Seeing as I have an ancestor who was a captain in the VOC I suppose I'll flaunt my name around a bit.

Also do what this guy does on the side. Probably also go Da Vinci and ''invent'' all kinds of futuristic technology like the Steam Engine that I'll never be able to actually build but people are going to think I was so damn smart in the future.

Just so you know, by that time, there was whole families of literate niggers who knew math. They had plantations and farms and owned their own slaves. Not many, but you wouldn't be the only one.
You got gold and skillz, and since you're a nigger it is not racist to own some slaves. They'll have it better with you than with whitey.

>Southern California
I'm befriending some natives, gathering more provisions, and heading up North to get in on some of that sweet gold a century early. Then we're going east to stick it to the white devil, if we don't die first that is. Adventure awaits...

>private owned banks founded before 1717 and still in continuous operation
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena, Italy
Berenberg Bank, Germany
C. Hoare & Co, England
Metzler Bank, Germany
Barclays, England
Coutts, England
Caja Madrid, Spain
Drummonds Bank, United Kingdom

pic related will make you rich.

Wouldn't you at least try to live it off in the high baroque? The sexual encounters and resulting std's should be well worth it. Also, off yourself is a mortal sin. Why don't you instead fight some duels?

Wake up in a small border town between Poland and Hungary, modern day northern Slovakia. Know both Slovak and Hungarian, so should be able to communicate, even if they consider me a weirdo because of how the languages differed back then. Depends on how much the 100 Spanish Doubloons are worth buy some small cottage with a bit of land and some animals and crops in of the nearby poorer villages and live my life out as a small landowner peasant. Could be fun, meanwhile I'd also write some books that could gain me some posthumous fame later on.

Considering I wouldn't really change that much in the world, history would play out pretty much the same way as in our timeline, so maybe I would be considered some sort of a genius prophet and scientiffic philosophical mastermind for my theories about atoms, the universe, germs, cells, evolution, correctly predicting the future etc etc.

>woman
>southern Spain

Try to write down predictions for the outcome of every major war and event, accurate descriptions of the future that would be deemed ridiculous or witchcraft at best, try not to be burnt at the stake, marry some rich eccentric and hope not to die at childbirth.
If I managed to avoid death for a while maybe I'd try working as a physician (I'm in med school). Then again, witchcraft.

Tampa, Florida

Are there natives here that will attack me?

>Rome
Biggest problem would be the language really. Still the doubloons should be quite enough to buy an inn or a brothel near San Pietro and mooch off the pilgrims for the rest of my life. Also i'd try to found some secret society because fuck the papal state, i want to live in Italy

>Hawaii

Fall about 20 feet and hope the abundant trees will catch my landing. I'm pretty close to shore, which is immediately where I would begin heading, as the rainforest will scare me come nightfall.

I'm wearing a type of tree-bark loincloth (not being stereotypical, that's actually what male Hawaiian's wore), and of course I have my long rifle, powder, lead, and tools, unless I was supposed to get the "anzac" loadout, but I have no fuggin clue what anzac means. I'm young Korean, not DYEL (1/2/2/2), 5'10", and, being realistic, kind of cute, so I think the locals would treat me as some sort of novelty pet or something, in which case, I'd just have to try and be as helpful and charming as possible. Also, I'd present the gun as a present to the Ali'i, just to gain his trust, inventing the bow too, and teach them how to not make them shit (I watched a lot of bowyer videos on youtube, so I feel like I could make one with lots of trial and error), which should revolutionize warfare, unless the theory holds true that they simply never used bows for honorary reasons (which I think sounds preposterous).

I'm a little fearful that I'll be sent to a time period filled with war and turmoil, as pre-contact Hawaiians don't have a written record of who ruled where in what year, so I'll just have to chance it and take a stab in the dark. I also have really bad eyes, which requires glasses, so I'm going to be very, VERY annoyed if I don't get to start off with them, but I'm praying that I'll be able to adjust after a few years.

Pros
>Do lots of HEMA and lifting and shiet, so I'm big-guy-for-them mode
>Starting materials very useful for gaining respect/trust
>QT Hawaiian loli girls, with no petty 21st century morals to get in the way of my wholesome ephebophili-etish
>Could make a decent-quality 40lb bow with some trial and error before getting really good at churning them out
>Revolutionize use of shields

Cons
>Treated like pet
>Bad eyes
>No Wy Pipo until 1778

>north-east texas

i'll probably try to make it east, maybe to Louisiana, then try to get to the Colonies.

>horse aquired

As a fierce abolitionist, I start the underground railroad as early as possible and try to push women's education, Quaker philosophy, and make sure the white race understands their true place in society, as Americans, a people beyond race who need to usher in the Golden Age of Gene Roddenberry as quickly as possible so I can masturbate to Chuck Heston taking out the hooded and infected Luddites of that great dystopian movie from the sixties. The faster this happens the faster the world becomes a better place and we start to worry about bigger and badder things. The point isn't just to survive, it is to go an remind Ben Franklin to keep studying, and to make sure Adam's father beats the fear out of him. This would be a great place to roleplay, thanks OP, could use some more snakes.

>tfw spic
I might be able to pass as a native and assimilate in to nearby settlements in Georgia

>Western Massachusetts

>walk to boston
>sign up for a shipping vessel
>sail around for a few years, gain experience being a sailor
>after a decade buy my own ship and sail the high seas
>become a privateer whenever war breaks out
>spend my life sailing and exploring the world, both cargo and passengers
>retire from sailing in my early to mid 40s and settle in Manhattan
>work an administrative position for a few years
>start a family with a rich bourgeois qt
>retire fully and purchase an estate on the cape cod coast
>hopefully live long enough to see the revolution pop off

>frees slaves
>is hanged for property theft

>St. Louis
Fuck. I guess I'd head east till I find somebody, or more likely just die.

at least you don't have to walk.

>northern Illinois

Not so bad, Haute-Louisiane is settled by white people at the time, and you got a horse and a gun.

so hows your french?

GIVE ME YOUR HORSES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no u

Because smallpox killed off most of the native population in the new world because they hadn't been exposed to it. News flash genius, neither have modern people since it's extinct expect for labs.

I'm pretty sure they're decently peaceful. On the otherhand I'm in pasco which did have paticularly aggressive Indians and was so hard to develop the first settler didn't get here until the very late 1800's. We could always meet up in the bay and try to make a boat to sail across the gulf into new Orleans is our best bet.

Yes, but if you are anything but native american or pacific islander, you have inherited a fully trained immune system from your ancestors.
Also, smallpox vaccine is extremely simple to make, even for non med guys and with 18th century tools.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_War

Shit.

no problems with the glasses, you'll just look like a dork

I think part of your 100 gold pieces are well spent on a one way ticket to London.