Why is there so much obsession of the Byzantines on Veeky Forums? Why are you a Byzaboo...

Why is there so much obsession of the Byzantines on Veeky Forums? Why are you a Byzaboo? It seems so odd to me especially considering it's an old dead empire that did nothing but just hang on to its lands until it died.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece–Serbia_relations#Middle_Ages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What does the symbol on the eagle's chest mean?

"By Me, you will conquer."

>did nothing but just hang on to its lands until it died.

It shrank and waned over a thousand years despite overwhelming odds. I can't think of another empire that came close to being eradicated on so any occasions before coming back from the brink.

Because Byzantine Greece would be an epic country if it existed.

Greece wouldn't be so in debt either. And no fucking Muslims

Because the fall of Contantinople had worse effect on Europe then both world wars combined.

China

>literally kick started the renaissance
>literally is the reason for finding and settling in the new world
These were some of the greatest things that happened in European history along with the rest of colonialism and industrialization.

?

How does it mean that?

Same way why so many people are obsessed with neo-tsarist Russia under Putin.

Aura of continuation of Roman Empire. You get the feeling of the continuation od the prestige, power and legacy.

Renaissance part is a meme, but with the Age of Exploration, I find it funny how Venice indirectly screwed itself over when Europe figured out it could just bypass the Silk Road altogether.

It's the Palaiologos family sipher, or sympilema. Basically the Greek version of pic related.

>industrialisation
>then end of the dominance of the gentry and aristocracy is a good thing

>belittles Germanic achievements of the HRE
>says orthodox is the true faith
>says Tsarist Russia was the successor to Rome
>says Finland was the successor to Russia
>Greek fire
>romans but not autistic Greek haters
>siege of Constantinople shows the west uniting against the Saracen hordes so gets pic related autists all happy
>says fuck the pope
Many layers of meaning

>Greek fire
never understood the obsession with this meme

What's the relation between the Palaiologos dynasty, and the Rurikid dynasty?

This isn't a Byzantine thread

>1200 years ago
>basically napalm, a modern weapon
Romans with rifles would've been fucking cool, too.

Because it's edgy in the US since they never teach you about them in school and they generally avoid talking about them in any western civilization courses. To talk about the Byzantines is to admit that Christianity wasn't the downfall of the Roman Empire, and that pisses off fedoras and triggers muzzies who hated the Byzantines.

This

It is now, faggit

Byzantium had debts, as well as mosques and Muslims.

They were married into one another therefore russians used that to claim the title of rome

Yes, and?

loss

Not just the US.

I didn't know about it until well into adulthood.

Go back to /pol/

Independent modern Greece has defaulted on its debts fucking five times and was kicked out lf the Latin league due to its instability and financial incompetence. Kicked OUT of the Latin league, let that settle.

kek

>so in depth
he meant not like Greece is in now. But I agree that Byzantium is largely in debt before as it was at a constant state of war due to threats on its borders.

>in the US
Protip: most Byzaboos on Veeky Forums are not American

wasn't it just a myth?

>triggers muzzies
Muslims don't hate the Byzantines, Muslims take pride that they destroyed them, it's Byzaboos that have intense hatred of Muslims actually.

What does not teaching people about the Byzantines have to do with being obsessed with it?

>To talk about the Byzantines is to admit that Christianity wasn't the downfall of the Roman Empire,
How? Byzantium did nothing but decay and suffer constant internal strife until the Ottomemes finally swallowed them whole and a proud Orthodox Christian started the proud Orthodox Christian tradition of crowning a Muslim lord and defender of Christendom.

If anything Byzantium is more of an example of Christianity causing an Empire's downfall than the Western Roman Empire.

THIS

Is this supposed to show Istanbul > Athens? Because cities always look better at sunset.

Both look like Mediterranean shitholes, your point? And while we're at it, is Italy the only Med country that looks like it wasn't completely built by subhumans?

As far as Greece goes, Athens is a shit city. Salonica and Heraclion are much prettier.

Don't know. In mine country only Orthodox Church highly masturbate on Byzantines empire.

Stop being Byzaboo

Even at night time unless you make the acropolis the main focus and taking up most the picture, Athens will look like shit.

American education
I'm not even joking
most Americans, and indeed many Europeans, don't know about the Eastern Roman Empire
they think Rome is dead and gone by the middle-ages, then they learn about the fact that the Eastern Empire continued for ~1000 years

this is why Veeky Forums obsesses with HRE and ERE
they are dumb Americans

Stop being a cockroach.

sniff sniff
i smell butthurt

For the last time, see: Most Byzaboos are quite logically Orthodox, so Greek, Serbian or Russian. You can see that on any board that has flags. Americans are the WRE/HRE faggots, almost by rule.

hm, I don't really frequent boards with flags outside /pol/ and even historical threads there rarely go into ERE or HRE
so I can't really verify

Didn't the Serbs fight the Byzantines? Why would they be fans of them?

Have you ever seen the Serbian coat of arms?

No but that still doesn't really answer my question.

And your question is what exactly, that you aren't allowed to like someone if you waged a war against him in the past?

But I just don't exactly get it, weren't they enemies?

>No
It's Byzantine double headed eagle + Palaiologos cross. Very Byzantine.

At one point. Alliances change all the time, brainlet.

When did they become friends?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece–Serbia_relations#Middle_Ages

Vestige of Rome

better question is why are we so obsessed with Rome?

It's mostly White people that have no connection whatsoever to the region or the people not being able to cope with us being their true successors. All while their own societies are turning into brown shit and projecting that anger towards us.

Because they know that we, the sons of Oghuz Roma Invicta can take it, while not giving a rats ass about their cucked asses.

>Muslims take pride that they destroyed them
>Arabs only took over Egypt and the Levant after the devastating thirty year war with the Sassanids and they still couldn't get through Anatolia
>Turks only managed to conquer Constantinople because the empire was already weakened by the crusaders

Butthurt you say?

Because when the rest of Europe was still burning folk for the lolz Byzantium had a thriving culture and science, and a church that didn't run the country

Yeah that's the reason. They survived shit that should've toppled them 1000 years before they actually fell

Yeah everyone here's talking shit about the Byzantines as if they weren't the centre for the majority cultural, scientific and economic developments during pretty much their whole existence. They also had the best living standards during the whole time period which is a metric we use to compare contemporary civilizations frequently but for some reason is left out completely here.

There's no such thing as a Byzanboo, the people who seem to like Byzantium are in fact just Greekboos that jerk off over any Greek empire
t. Greekboo

No, it was used to great effect in several naval battles. The Byzantines kept the formula secret so we just don't know how to make it.

Isn't napalm the exact same thing

4U

They do pretty much the same thing, yes. But the point is they figured out how to produce it and built a device that pressurized and sprayed it over a long enough distance to hit enemy ships.

Okay thanks

muh pol strawman
fuck you! i'm here to stay

B T F O

>continuation of rome
>also greek
>constantinople
>strong christian empire
>fuck the pope
>held off the muslim hordes for hundreds of years
whats not like

*not to like

It's the pleb's natural reaction to the notion that Greeks didn't actually disappear one day like they teach in school.

>The Byzantines kept the formula secret so we just don't know how to make it.
Just like how atlantis is a """"real"""" city.

They did have debts, but muslims and mosques?

Kys

You're an idiot.

The real answer is this board was flooded by EU4 fags who tend to be byzaboos
Paradox games were a mistake
Byzantium was shit and not roman at all
Paracucks get out

very good case you present you dumbass, you didn't refute any of his points.

Childhood is idolyzing the Byzantine Empire. Adulthood is realizing Ottomans made more sense.

Athens looks like a fucking Slum

i love how byzzieboos claimed that they were some sort of hardcore defender of christianity when it was thanks to these retards faults that christianity lost the entire north africa, egypt and the middle east forever. they were so shit that the local christian population would rather be ruled by muslims rather than them

>wh*Te byzantine subhuman

how is that any different to the Catholics oppressing the Orthodox when the crusaders occupied Greeks. Different denominations of the same religion NEVER mix together

>p*pists
>Christian
Lmfao

you mean the romans

and it's beacuse the lasted nearly 2000 years as a continous polity with only short periodss of balkanisation

any other state to exist in such form is either an irrelevant shithole or doesn't go beyond 1000 years.

"H"
"R"
"E"

China is sort of different considering the idea of collapse and reunification was short of ingrained in the ethos. "The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been"

It'd be like if everyone agreed that the Ottomans would become Romans and have some legitimacy as Roman emperor if they managed to reunite it. And everyone also agreed there was some driving force for the reunification of the empire.

So? The roman empire did a lot of shit, the Byzantines just sat there till death.

The difference is also that the Han outnumbered their conquerors 10,000:1 at any given time.

The Ottomans being the legitimate successors to Rome thing comes from the fact that the Ottoman Caliph was declared Emperor of Rome and lord of Christendom by the Patriarch of Constantinople which is the criteria for determining "Who is the Emperor of Rome" used by Byzaboos. If we're going by "Why was the Qing dynasty a legitimate successor to the Ming dynasty", it would have to have gone like this:

>The entirety of Anatolia, the Middle-East, Greece, and the Balkans are ethnically Greek
>In fact, there are half a billion Greeks in this area and ethnic minorities are less than five percent of the population total
>A Turkish minority enters and conquers Byzantium
>Said Turks then drop all of their Turkish customs, culture, and language, drop Tengrism/Islam for Orthodox Christianity, and declare themselves to be ethnically Greek several years prior to actually being ethnically Greek
>By the time the Ottoman Empire collapses there isn't an ounce of Turkish blood in anyone who holds a position of power and the Turkish language is almost extinct

>The Ottomans being the legitimate successors to Rome thing comes from the fact that the Ottoman Caliph was declared Emperor of Rome and lord of Christendom by the Patriarch of Constantinople which is the criteria for determining "Who is the Emperor of Rome" used by Byzaboos.
Stop this fucking meme, the patriarch has no right to say who is Roman who isn't. He's just a religious figurehead, nothing more. Not to mention that Mehmed would've just installed another patriarch if the current one denied it.

the byzantine empire is one of the most overrated "empire" ever, their entire history is basically them getting their shit pushed in by their neighbour like the arabs, bulgars, latin and the turks and slowly dying a pathetic death just because nobody bothered to finish them off. I think only delusional le deus volt xd eu4 kids like them desu

ive been to both Istanbul and Athens beyond the nicely kept tourist traps(ie the Parthenon and the Hagia Sophia +Ottomon Mosques) both cities are 3rd world shitholes

You didn't even like Plaka?

Typical fanboys who'd usually sperg about the Roman Empire but who choose the Byzantines because it's better for shitting at Muslims through.

>asspulls

>You didn't even like Plaka?
didnt get to go, i was on one of them shitty cruise excursions where they rush you through everything. for some fucking reason we docked 1 hour outside Athens and the cabs charged a small fortune so i had no choice

>Siege of Constantinople
>uniting
Lmao it was an utter symbol of disunity. No one bothered to provide aid except a small genoan contingent i think.

The empire you like is also shit tier desu