Do you have a favorite "forgotten" US president?

Do you have a favorite "forgotten" US president?

Other urls found in this thread:

maa.org/press/periodicals/convergence/mathematical-treasure-james-a-garfields-proof-of-the-pythagorean-theorem
youtube.com/watch?v=TpHP8J4hSYE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not unknown, but he's rarely on people's top 10.

Garfield has a special place in my heart for not merely giving an original proof of the Pythagorean theorem, but one which is decidedly simpler than Euclid's messy proof:

maa.org/press/periodicals/convergence/mathematical-treasure-james-a-garfields-proof-of-the-pythagorean-theorem

This

Name who this guy is without looking him up

Tyler

Fuck yeah lads
If you can't name every one of the American presidents within 10 seconds of seeing their portrait you absolutely positively have to go back

Calvin Coolidge
>hands-off president
>would buzz the secret service into his office and hide under a desk causing them to freak out
>took a 2-4 hour nap every day
>wake up and ask, "Is the country still here?"
>fixed the economic recession by lowering taxes, encouraging economic activity and increasing revenue (fuck FDR by the way)
>paid down the national debt
>a legacy of proving that the best thing a president can do is inaction

Truly based.

In my experience, immigrants are better at this kind of thing than native-born burgers.

My mom (born in Cuba) got a perfect score on her citizenship test except for one question which she misread--the question was what color the stars on the flag were, she didn't see the "stars" part and answered "red, white, and blue".

That's pretty fucking cool

My favorite is Grant because he is so fucking based

Poor Grant, he was one of the truly good at heart presidents that this nation has had, but his good nature led to him being misled and used by much less scrupulous politicians in Washington.

This is true but not entirely. He put his foot down on economics and prevented a post war depression by holding the gold standard.

>tfw everybody else is to stupid to understand your master plan

>well congratulations, you got yourself in a stalemate
>now what's the next big step of your master plan?
>crashing this floor of the White House
>WITH NO SURVIVORS

So what's the next step in his master plan after crashing Hiroshima with no survivors?

Crashing the Korean Peninsula with no survivors

He's one of my personal favs.

>became president because he told everyone he was president after Harrison died. This was constitutionally unclear and the cabinet almost revolted.
>made the annextion of Texas possible
>has living grandchildren
>only president die as a foreigner as he joined the confederacy before his death.

I love Coolidge. Terribly, criminally underrated.

Oh yeah, it's so fucking crazy to lower the top income tax rate from 77% to 60%. Damn.

Truman will always have my heart for firing MacArthur when he got out of line.

needs to fix his tie

If he'd let MacAruthur go nuclear on China, we'd have won the Cold War then and there, even if the Soviets got involved. We had the bombs to do it and nobody else did.

The whole world would have been American forever, and at most it might have cost us a few West Coast cities and some of the central European capitals.

I really like Turtledove's latest series about Truman letting MacArthur go Nuclear in Korea.

The REAL first black president. They don't teach you this shit in schools.

youtube.com/watch?v=TpHP8J4hSYE

I think Eisenhower is underrated. Cut the military budget. Got us out of Korea with a draw. Built the interstate highways. Told the bongs and the frogs to go fuck themselves when they pulled their suez shit. Told the French to go fuck themselves in Indochina too. Sent in the National guard when the rebels got uppity about desegregation of schools. And other than that, he played a lot of golf.
He was another one who believed Congress makes the rules and he just enforces them as long as the courts don't telll him otherwise.

>young Hayes was handsome as fuck
>young Lucy was a pure qt

Garfield was such a great man. The guy was running colleges when he was in his early or mid 20s. He fucking taught himself warfare (famously detesting West Point) and then became a pretty effective military commander. He went politics in Washington DC not knowing anything about economics, taught himself and became pretty damn good on the matter (I think he was only months off in predicting a big economic disaster that occured in the late 1860s). The guy knew how to run an efficient, well oiled machine and as head of the committee of appropriations managed to slash the budget and get rid of government waste allowing for government to run much smoother. He becomes President and everyone thinks he's too nice a guy and too trusting and he'll get bullied around and yet managed to pull together a cabinet and basically kill Roscoe Conkling's political career. He did all this having been raised in rural Ohio to a single while he dreamed of sailing on the seas as captain of a ship. Built himself up from absolutely nothing, a goddamn real American hero.

It's interesting to see whether he would've been an effective President and begin asserting authority over Congress.

I got to stay at his presidential hotel room at an inn around South Dakota, they gave us books on him there and he became one of my favorite presidents (along with Grover Cleveland and Polk).

Bourbon Democrats for life.

seconded

TYLER!!! TIPPECANOE AND TYLER TOO!

Based president truman.

DAS RITE