Sports violence in modern society

From a sociological point of view, why does the US have next to no sports violence?
Like sports violence always seems to have been a phenomena accompanying mass sports, from the horse races of Constantinople to todays football. There is customary violence in sports in Europe and in south America, hell even the lately Egyptian revolution was fueled by disgruntled Ultras.
So why exactly is there no sports violence in the US. Best you guys get is a drunken fight at super bowl, but for sure not organized ultras.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk
youtube.com/watch?v=UUS3paRE9Xg
youtu.be/5Hi-Dv57d4E
nydailynews.com/news/national/university-kentucky-fans-overturn-cars-burn-couches-celebrate-final-win-louisville-article-1.1054059
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

For Americans the mass entertainment is a sort or religious ceremony that must not be disturbed.

Also to add, sport clubs in Europe often have some political or ideological background.

2nd Amendment.

I know a couple of Ultras myself. I live in a big European city close to the Stadium and many of my friends and neighbors are hardcore football fans. Trust me, they have no ideology at all, they just love the thrill, a mass event, group identity and sometimes violence.
I always fought it is some kind of accepted surrogate or valve to let off aggression and tribal thinking in our overly civilized society.
Thats why I wonder how the americans do it?

No fĂștbol. The popular sports have had the opposite effect actually looking at the way the football mentality has probably influenced the legalistic mode of carrying about in everyday life.

Switzerland here, in the late 90's early 2000's we had nasty Ice Hockey violence, including people getting killed in peaceful Switzerland.
Also the US has Ami football, so large crowds, hardcore fans, long rivalries and yet they are still more civilized than all Europe. How comes?

They're too fat and lazy to riot for sports

Sports in America is more heavily commercialized, they are obsessed with handegg, boxing and basketball, fond of hockey and baseball and there are many football, volleyball and tennis fans, not to mention pro wrestling, nascar, indianapolis and other related events where everyone sits in a stadium, eats hot dogs and screams "WOOO" and golf. American high schools and colleges are obsessed with sports as well with ridiculously high paid coaches.

The tribalism aspect is coopted by advertizing, they identify with the team, not the fans, and if the team says "no funny business", they listen. Also with so much money invested in it the stadiums have heavy security and safety measures. America seems to have a good track record in preventing stadium disasters.

Why are they so different? Don't know really. Possibly due to America's reluctance to let the state fund stadiums, American sports teams had to find ways to advertize and monetize leading to the culture we see today.

Odd thing, something like Bundesliga is also highly commercialized as well. But when you attend a "high risk" game, it's like entering a war zone, the whole city is shut down and there is riot police everywhere.
So color me surprised that his ritualized outlet for violence is not happening in the US.

American troublemakers go to war, not to the game.

We let out steam so to speak in other ways. War, random or criminal violence (look at our gun related deaths and murder rate), even police get some action. We sometimes get riots in citys that win championships if that counts. But nothing too crazy, just bonfires on the street, broken businesses and maybe a bus or two lit on fire. We watch sports to escape.

>We sometimes get riots in citys that win championships if that counts.
It does.
Europe is like you are Joe Workingclass, you work, you got a family a flat and a car. And you got your club and your colors. On game day you become something like a gang member, anyone taking on your colors and all hell breaks loose. Cops diss you? You and a couple thousand of your best friends just rip them a new one! Other town is not nice to you? Well burn it!
Next day you are back to normal again, hard working, law abiding citizen, faithful husband and good father.

We're not savages #1

#2 Sports are semi-sacred in America, not even kidding

Calcio is fully sacred in Italy, thats why people fight about it.

They mass shoot each other every once in a while to let the steam off, no need for sport violence.

Each year, on a Sunday in early February, the Nacriema conduct a curious ritual. Two teams of men are chosen by a complicated series of preliminary rites. They dress in ritual costumes designed to make them look imposing, and don helmets blazoned with totems identifying themselves with dangerous wild animals or fearsome warriors. In this garb, they enter a highly formalized mock combat to push or throw a bladder made from animal hides and fashioned in the shape of an egg from one end of an open green field to another. Virgins, scantily clad despite the season, urge the two groups forward. Clearly, this seasonal ritual, with its egg symbolism, seasonally inappropriate semi-nudity, and two opposed groups of elaborately costumed totem warriors represents a survival of an ancient fertility rite. The two teams represent the combat between the winter and the returning spring, and relate to the theme of the dying and reviving vegetation spirit. The meaning of the egg is obvious.

youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk

Nah, Black Friday is our equivalent of European sports rioting. We all transform into complete niggers and just run around causing mayhem in the name of capitalism. I was throwing random shit at mexicans and cursing up a storm in a big frenzy with my family at one point.

youtube.com/watch?v=UUS3paRE9Xg
An American experiences soccer for the first time. He's lucky, no tear gas, no rubber shot. Derbies can get real ugly.

We don't have full scale riots often but I used to live in Philadelphia and people would throw bricks at players and fans from other teams. This intense hatred was compounded by the fact that NO SUPERBOWL.

>sport clubs in Europe often have some political or ideological background.
kek this is bait if I've ever seen it before

no connection between fans and clubs
american sports are not sports, its business, you dont get attached to your local grocery shop

its not bait you dumb retard

ask italians about AS Roma vs Lazio
Roma was founded in 1927 as a result of a merger between three teams: Roman, Alba-Audace and Fortitudo, initiated by Italo Foschi. It was the intention of Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini to create a unified Roman club to challenge the dominance of Northern clubs.

absolutely prominent in warsaw pact countries, ministries had their own clubs which they supported to strenghten connection with the poopulation

i bet every major football nation can make a list which major football club represented which ideology

Don't know much about European hooligans, but isn't it because most of the time European sports are always between countries? In America it's usually state v state, and even though there is rivalry they're still American so nationalism isn't really factored in. But in Europe most of the time I see matches it's two countries against each other, and that's when nationalism is probably a big factor in causing violence.

Americans have gangs. Also, if they tried throwing rocks at cops like European hooligans, they might get shot.

>but isn't it because most of the time European sports are always between countries?
Not really, fans of different football clubs within each country often come into conflict. Even different fan fractions cheering for the same club will sometimes clash.

>mfw whole constantiopolis burned becuase of chraiot race nascar fans fought with each other
Always amazes me

Because Americans view sports events the same way they view going to the movies - as entertainment. In Europe it's a style of life.

It's not bait. My team's ultras are connected to Combat 18 and other NatSoc groups.

>But in Europe most of the time I see matches it's two countries against each other, and that's when nationalism is probably a big factor in causing violence.
The Old Firm rivalry is one of the biggest and that's between 2 clubs in the same city

>murder rate
Its all inner-city gang violence. Seriously, if you exclude black-on-black murder, the US has the same homicide rate as Belgium.

That would make sense if many first rate Euro soccer clubs weren't basically clothing businesses with global recognition

The instant replay engenders a sense of fairness and justice in the minds of the American sports fan. Poverty sports like soccer push a might-makes-right mentality. The officials are blatantly corrupt and willfully blind and the only way to atone for bullshit calls is violently extracting justice through violence in the streets.

The TMO is the worst thing ever invented in sport

I think the biggest reason that there's no major sport violence in the US is our wide diversity of popular sports. For example, in Chicago we have the Cubs and Sox rivalry. But this doesn't extend further than mostly lighthearted ribbing on gameday, because we can come together over the Bears, the Bulls, and the Blackhawks. Euros just have football/ soccer, so they don't really have that reconciliation.

Can someone explain the 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup riot

No, it's because you don't have the history, even in Australia the soccer used to be weekly race riots before the A league because all the teams were based around the dominant local ethnic group and that just doesn't happen in America

Barely even a riot compared to what happens every month in Europe.

Different level of comprehension. Mericums won't give a sincere fuck for anything but shekels.

Honestly, wogs are scum.

See

I miss the good old days when Sydney United's goalie would do a nazi salute in a game against the Syndey City and stupid bullshit would ensue, they were simpler times

American here. My explanation:
1. Compared to what I see out of Europe, there is a much higher degree of sports apathy. Many men care about it a lot, but you'd be surprised how many men don't care about it at all, and the rate of women being hardcore fans (or even fair-weather fans) outside of college is next to zero.
2. Our police forces are basically extensions of the military. If you get uppity, they have an infinite amount of weaponry that they can unleash upon you.
3. There just isn't the culture. It seems like circular logic, but a big reason people get violent is because it's normalized. In other words, because people got violent before. As far as I know, sports violence has never been a problem at all in the entire history of sports in the United States. Meanwhile more people throw bricks and molotovs in Europe than go to church.

my theories as an observant ameriturd

1. people are too sedated in america to be very upset about anything, even the poor
why riot in the streets when you can watch reality TV and eat a microwave dinner on your couch

2. our cities have been multiethnic for a while now which tremendously reduces social cohesion
there are plenty of diehard sports fans, but they don't really have enough of a bond to other die hard fans to go spontaneously burn down a liquor store
sports violence is a collective hysteria, that (white) city dwelling Americans don't really have a capacity for, because they feel no great connection to their neighbors

>In Europe it's a style of life.
Haha, no. It's entertainment too, except more thrilling and dangerous.

My suggestion:

Lower population density. Less likely to get drunk and riot if you live 30 miles outside the city center in suburbia. In most cities the only people who live in the city are the super rich and niggers.

College sports riot.

Euro here, and I've seen a guy kicking out his daughter's boyfriend just because he rooted for a rival team. It's very much a style of life, for Americans it's just friendly banter and pretend rivalries, in Europe it's actual hatred that results in injuries and death.

You know sports riots and hooliganism only happens if you have opposing team supporters present. Meaning that people HAVE TO TRAVEL as prerequisite to sports hooliganism.

Apparently, Europeans have never heard of Philadelphia fans.

>le throw batteries at Santa meme
Compare that to this: youtu.be/5Hi-Dv57d4E

That was largely a fuck up from the French police keeping groups separated. Usually shit like that doesn't happen on international level.
Derby day is a different thing. Riot police everywhere, horses, water throwers, whole city quarters on lock down.
regarding 2 Our police has enough means too, but it turns out they cannot bloodbath a couple dozen family dads, so it is down to non lethal riot stuff.

Honestly, we got a tradition of rioting, it is a sublime experience seeing your neighborhood ganging up and taking on the police or the fuckers from next town just for the sake of it.
It is socially accepted violence. If you'd start several bar fights you'd get a bad name and standing soon, resulting in social pressure,no job, no flat, no credit, no pussy, but if you do it in a culturally accepted form, football, it is ok. You can still be a nice guy, a respected member of the community, and go full bonzo once a week.

Football has a lot of meticulous regulation while soccer is just pretending to be fouled and not going offsides. It's influenced the legalism in everyday life as your car wheel going a few centimeters over the line of scrimmage can be the deciding factor in you getting a ticket.

1. Its not a part of American sports culture or culture in general (Europeans are more likely to riot in almost any situation, its apart of their culture going back hundreds of years).
2. Americans are more conscious of authority/police
3. American police are more zealous and heavy-handed in dealing with sports related riots and there are more serious laws/punishments against public intoxication, inciting violence, vandalism, assault, etc.
4. Sports rivalries are mixed among different sports and different regions, so fan allegiances aren't hard and fast
5. Political ideologies and other similar things are never tied to American sports fandom

Everything is balanced in the world. Europe has hooliganism, rioting, and sandniggers but a lot less gun violence. Latin American countries have high crime but the middle east is at war. Meanwhile East Asians are susceptible to cataclysmic natural phenomena. No place has had it worse or been through more than anybody.

In the US we have a competent police force and a justice system that actually upholds the law, none of that European "lel this young man was just over exuberant from his sports team winning that's why he decided to break a Baker's window, we'll let him off with a warning lmao" bullshit.

in canada theres hockey riots. some of the MTL ones you could make a vague connection to politics (mostly the 60s ones) but other than that i dunno. vancouver riots were the biggest theyve seen in years iirc

rangers and celtics?

More like a population made up of sissies.

Woah you throw bricks at police during a soccer riot knowing full well you won't do any serious time or even community service, how brave!

We sometimes do. In 2010, there was a major riot in Los Angeles after the Lakers won their championship game there.

A large part of why we seldom have these riots is that the Superbowl is played at a pre-determined stadium, rather than the home field of either of the teams competing in it, so you don't have huge concentrations of supporters for one team or the other in the area around the game.

>2. Our police forces are basically extensions of the military. If you get uppity, they have an infinite amount of weaponry that they can unleash upon you.
It's not like the European police are any slouch. As soon as the cameras are off (and sometimes even when they're on) it's a free-for-all.

A guy got killed 5 years back in my country when a policeman hit him with a shovel

>In the US we have a competent police force and a justice system that actually upholds the law

Lol no.

All handegg does is normalizing niggers even more in the CSA

I was once beaten up in 4th grade because i said the Bears where better than the Packers if that counts as sports violence

nydailynews.com/news/national/university-kentucky-fans-overturn-cars-burn-couches-celebrate-final-win-louisville-article-1.1054059