ITT ancient traditions that are still being practiced today

ITT ancient traditions that are still being practiced today

>>Baby jumping (El Colacho) is a traditional Spanish holiday dating back to 1620 that takes place annually to celebrate the Catholic feast of Corpus Christi in Burgos.[1][2] During the act, known as El Salto del Colacho (the devil's jump) or simply El Colacho, men dressed as the Devil (known as the Colacho) in red and yellow jump suits jump over babies born during the previous twelve months of the year who lie on mattresses in the street. The "devils" hold whips and oversized castanets as they jump bravely over the unaware infants.

>> The origins of the tradition are unknown but it is said to cleanse the babies of original sin, ensure them safe passage through life and guard against illness and evil spirits.[4][5][6] In recent years, Pope Benedict has asked Spanish priests to distance themselves from El Colacho, and to downplay the tradition’s connection with Catholicism. The Church still teaches that it is baptism by water, not a giant leap by an airborne devil, which cleanses the soul of original sin.[7]

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/221784853
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wonder if babbies were ever killed that way. I doubt their tiny skulls could endure the weight of an adult

Shit like this is common in every corner of the Catholic world. Catholicism is not a religion. It is several pagan religions all pretending to be Christian.

Roman Triad

Christian Trinity

Remember, kids, that proddies are everywhere, and they hate Christ's church because their masters tell them to.

>implying any modern sect of Christianity is anything but a bastardization of the teachings of Christ

3 is a magic number

>buh-buh-but proddies!
When you can get Catholics to even profess the teachings of the CCC, then you can come and play. Until then, fix your own damn church.

Genital mutilation. Practiced to some degree on every continent, though most cultures don't do it.

>only 2 rows
easy

At least they have a church

>t. a Pauline heretic

No, they don't. They call it one, but as we have seen, it's not even one religion.

Lutheran places in Germany and Scandinavia have plenty of tradition too. Pic related is American Protestant tradition.

It's a minor thing but we still put our leaders on the face of coins as a way to teach the populous who their leader is.

And what ritual or theological point is being made here? Which Sacrament is it replacing? Or did you just take an image of a bunch of Southrons doing a non-church function and call it a church tradition?

>it's-a me-a Mario

>tfw she will never die
poor Charles, he should've been king long ago by now.

Polytheists and pantheists across the world create culture meanwhile the height of your cultural diversity are niggers.

They also have him walking around town hitting people with a stick from what a spaniard told me on /int/. Sounds like an amazing job.

Makes you wonder why they don't just do one row. If there are 9 babies, does he have to jump 3 rows?

>1620
>ancient
?
Most eastern religions have very old traditions that are still practised today although admittedly nobody really cares why they should do them, they just do it since their elders told them to.
At least in my experience.

Why doesn't she just step down or abdicate the throne?

Because she's a cunt?

Hates Charles prolly

>not that bright
>not handsome
>not charismatic at all
>got cucked by an arab so had to call in MI6 to sort that whole thing out
>marries a hag
>produces buck toothed balding grandchildren

The consumption of other sentient creatures. Arguably necessary once upon a time, arguably not in the present time.

I love this

Fucking vegan beta, get off my board.

1. VEGANISM IS THE LIFESTYLE OF THE FUTURE, AND THE LIFESTYLE THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE LEADING THE PRESENT.

2. THE "ALPHA"/"BETA" SOCIAL CATEGORIZATION IS AN ATAVISM FROM THE PALEOLITHIC, AND THE FACT THAT YOU, AND PERSONS LIKE YOURSELF —ANTIVEGANS— USE IT, MAKES PERFECT SENSE, SINCE VEGANISM HAS ITS ROOTS IN THE NEOLITHIC LIFESTYLE OF AGRARIANISM, WHICH SUCEEDED THE PALEOLITHIC LIFESTYLE OF HUNTERGATHERING; THE "ALPHA"/"BETA" SOCIAL CATEGORIZATION IS AS OBSOLETE AND PERNICIOUS AS NONVEGANISM.

3. THIS IS NOT YOUR BOARD.

i'm chinese and every year we have a day called Tomb-Sweeping day where we go visit our ancestor's graves if we can and we clean it up. We also burn "after life money" to send to our ancestors and you're also supposed to talk to your ancestors like you would at a western grave

Midsummer's celebrated in a handful of countries, the Christian version of it dates back to at least the 4th century in Sweden but the pagan tradition probably dates back longer than that. The origin is more of a fertility festival (hence the phallic pole, thought it's mixed with a cross due to Christian influence) celebrating thee rebirth of nature during the apex of summer.

Veganism is the lifestyle of the past, you under developed ape.

That doesn't even make sense, subhuman.

the only vegetarian philosphy i respect is ascetic Jain vegetarianism.

You purport to respect life, but you destroy life by eating plants which die when harvested. Sentience is such an arbitrary concept, I bet you also eat mushrooms, which can feel distress. Fuck you. Go full Jain, or eat meat, otherwise you're just a nitpicker, masquerading under the guise of moral superiority.

>ancient
>1620
New worlders, not even once.

>Sentience is such an arbitrary concept
It really isn't.

>I bet you also eat mushrooms, which can feel distress.
Pfffahahaha. Stop reading pop sci bullshit, dude.

Do you also believe the line about how oranges "scream" when they're cut?

>The Church still teaches that it is baptism by water, not a giant leap by an airborne devil, which cleanses the soul of original sin.

Fucking savage.

the entire mycelium reacts when pods are ripped, the others preparing for the act. even grass acts the same. I eat meat cause i don't claim that life is inherently valuable, but you seem to do, and that makes you a hypocrite.

In north africa, some berbers still practice ancient polytheist rituals
vimeo.com/221784853

Circumcision

What a comfy tradition.

God wouldn't allow it

In little things like this there's proof of God

I can't rest knowing that we don't know how this began. This is too insane, considering its age

It was a concern, which is why Innocent VIII issued a Bull stating that no column of babies may exceed 3 babies in length.

The width of the rows by which babies may be lain out is widely contested, with some claiming that they may be arbitrarily wide, while others claim that the Devil must physically pass over the babies to cleanse its soul.

Amazing.

Even crystals move in response to stimulus, dude. Right now your body is "reacting" to hundreds of different things in hundreds of different ways and you never consciously feel any of it. It's a very long leap from 'autonomically reacts to something' to 'feels distress.'

Ethical vegetarians (well, most of them) don't believe that "life" is inherently valuable, although sometimes they use the word "life" as a shorthand for "sentience" (which I'm using correctly here, but a lot of people don't - I really do mean sentience, not sapience). While we don't know exactly what causes sentience, it's probably a pretty decent bet that it has something to do with having a nervous system; the more complex the nervous system, the greater the creature's sentience. That's why some people are OK with eating shrimp (which have relatively simple nervous systems and probably do not feel pain as we do) but wouldn't be okay with eating a sheep.

Plants and fungi do not have nervous systems. They don't feel pain, and they aren't aware of being alive. They're not aware of anything at all. There's no reason not to kill them.