Ancient statues were painted and actually kinda gaudy and weren't trying to make statements about minimalism or...

>ancient statues were painted and actually kinda gaudy and weren't trying to make statements about minimalism or authoritarianism

Makes you think.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Wb-T1F033Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i don't believe it

wait you mean ancient Romans and Greeks also had arms and torsos?

Some were painted some were not, it's like a 40's film using black and white for a 30's scene
Also where is Augustus' gay angel

They were in layers of wax and paint, the first few recreations of this looked bad because they only took into account the first layer of paint, recent recreations that take this into account look better, I have no doubt in my mind the real thing looked amazing.

That makes perfect sense.

Polychromy was the norm for statues, and that survived the classical period. Until the renaissance, all statues not made of metal were painted, as it was a continuing tradition from the ancient times.

However, Polychromy did survive the Renaissance, especially in Wood statues, like this one.

Any sauce of the recent ones?

OP's doesn't look bad at all, honestly.

I don't know why would anyone even want to believe otherwise, ancient people loved to surround themselves with colorful shit, especially rich people since paint was expensive.

A good way of telling whether a statue were intended to be painted or not is the eyes.

The classical statues have blank eyes that would have been painted, while Renaissance marbles had carved irises, indicating that they were intentionally left unpainted

A renaissance bust, note the eyes

God i hate historians.

The argument about the gaudy paint comes from the fact that they could paint complicated colors regularly well.
Sure, there'd be crude works too, but would an emperor's bust be crude?

If you find traces of red paint, is the sculpture's hair red, or are you missing out on a carbon wash used to make shading?

Medieval ones did a decent job of not looking like gaudy shit.

>mfw I posted a fucking mosaic

Medieval/Renaissance polychrome is criminally underrated, desu

The concept of coloured statues ruined my image of ancient world, to be honest.

The gray statues look more serious, while their colourised versions look trashy as hell.

I'd be curious if all were colored always.
This statue looks aesthetic as fuck in black and white, but lacks carved eyes, which I'd argue indicates a painted façade. Of course, it may have just been protocol not to carve eyes at that point.

I'd be curious as to whether or not the face and jar were painted

This.

It's like feathered dinosaurs. I know they likely existed but they look so goofy I can't take them as fact.

Niccolo dell'Arca is underrated. Guy was a fucking genius.

Truth is stranger than fiction when it comes to history. More often truth is more interesting as well.

t. Renessaince cuck

>Rome probably looked like a favela with colored buildings and graffitti everywhere.

Were you surprised to learn that people painted their interior too?

He truly is, but isn't your picture done by Pietro Torigianno?

The fucking Parthenon painted in all the colours of rainbow.

Yeah, I simply had no picture by Arca on my pc.

>“When we reached the city of Amsterdam (Mustarḍām), I was impressed by how well-built, well-organized and how heavily populated it was. It was nearly as large as the city of Paris in France. It is also the city with the largest number of ships in the world. It is said that its ships, large and small, number about 6000 vessels. Each of the houses were elegantly painted and adorned with bright colors from top to bottom. Each house differed from the next in its form and style, and they were all adorned with stones. I have met many who have seen the lands of the East, the lands of the Slavs, Rome, and other countries in the world who have told me that none of these countries possess such beautiful and well-decorated houses."

t. Shihab al-Din Ahmad al-Hajari visiting Amsterdam in the 17th century

I'm surprised they were that fuming gauche

Some are better than others.

*fucking

This looks like a pizzeria

You got ugly pizzerias then.

Now this is a proper pizzeria.

Luckily, we know just what those Netherlandish houses looked like.

Also, Torrigiano is another underrated genius of polychrome. Unfortunately, like Bramante, he falls into the genre of, "People who Michelangelo hated " and got remembered as a villain.

I am not sure where he got the painted outside from.

Although you can spot a couple on the right hand corner here.

I think I've been here.

As much as I love medieval polychrome, there is little doubt in my mind that the Spanish truly mastered the art.
Perhaps, to them, it wasn't just a decorative art, but one to be as valued as the stark marbles of the Italian vogue.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Wb-T1F033Q

More shots of our beautiful city.

I wonder where the Spanish got their masochistic character. Suffering is their art isn't it?

Here is a Tanagra figurine.

I love these too, they're like classical pop art. This is the sort of thing that would have adorned an Ancient Greek's home, not the large statues we generally think of.

This figure is from ca. 300 a.C., and while it superficially resembles the Virgin Mary, it is not.
Note the clear paint

Why are modern people so afraid of color? Nowadays people are so obsessed with neutrals. Even when they make "period" pieces they make everyone's costumes in brown and gray and put a gray filter over it all.

Ancients had no qualms with rainbows of colors and that's as it should be.

Jon Snow?

I rather like the work of this gentleman.

To be honest quite a few developing countries adore colors.

In the West it is a legacy of the industrial revolution that made colors cheap and readily attainable. People couldn't stand out based on their expensive colors so they opted for black and gray.

Neutrals don't go out of fashion quickly, in a time when fashion changes at the drop of a hat.

Are you saying dinosaurs werent Green, scaly and fucking awesome in general ? Heretic

I don't think there's anything which suggests t-rex had proto-feathers.

Most period pieces tend to be dramas, and dramas are generally more somber affairs. We associate neutral, dark colors with sobriety, and so when we make dramas, that is the palette we choose.
When you look at modern television, like The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, you see a lot of vibrant colors, because it has a more upbeat tone. It'd be a bit distressing having a serious drama about life in Medieval Europe where the peasants are all dressed like carnival goers.
I suppose it has something to do with the tumultuous history of Spain. Martyrdom culture and all that is very big in cultures with tough histories.
Perhaps they were especially moved by the notion of compassion, that is feeling the passion of the Saints and Jesus directly through seeing their suffering in potent detail.

There was an Italian restaurant with paint like that and quite frankly despite the tackiness it kind of does what it's supposed to do, which is make you feel like you're there

With paint like that where I grew up*

why

One of my favorite pieces of all time

I think he's getting at the fact that he hates pop-history articles that go on about how ancient statues were actually gaudy, isn't that subversive.
Pop-Journalism is cancer in general, and is solely based on getting clicks.

Another of my favorites, a Torrigiano