There's 2000 years of Mesopotamian and Egyptian history we know was interesting but will never actually know

>there's 2000 years of Mesopotamian and Egyptian history we know was interesting but will never actually know

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrified_fort
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollense
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>we know Egyptians and Mesopotamians used fired clay tablets for writing
>we know of archaeological sites that haven't been excavated

Get digging faggot.

Now Gobleke Tepe, there's some mystery shit we'll never know.

This. And other proto-civilizations that didn't have writing or the writing is gone

Indecipherable peoples like in the indus valley

Dare I say Atlantis.

>Gobleke Tepe

Isn't it going to be excavated as technology progresses? We're getting some pretty crazy stuff right about now.

>Atlantis

Stopped reading right there.

We can figure out economics and shit from archaeology, but specifics are difficult to determine without writing.

That was the last word in his post so of course you would

>Atlantis
>A fictional land used in an allegory

I don't think we're going to find anything about them m8

Doggerland? Some cultural genetic memory of it?

It's a meme. I'm trying to liven up the place.

I think prehistory is going to haunt historians until the end of time.

Like, what the fuck were humans up to from 5000 BC to 3000 BC.

the minoans were completely forgotten before they were rediscovered in the late 19th century

Yay we'll have something to do even if we can't make it into space.

Wasn't there remains from a battle taking place just south of Denmark, around BC, that made zero sense considering the remains showed signs from several cultures and the amount of people that participated in it was more than what made sense for a bunch of tribes in woodhuts?

I've vague memories of it being mentioned here.

Ah I thought you were the Atlantis poster.

Yeah but imagine being able to dig up ancient tools carefully enough to scan them with fancy electron microscopes and identify a finger print or two. Or finding a food bowl and determining what was in it.

Obviously we'll probably never know the ceremonial significance of such places but the more data the better our guesses.

There are a few dozen ruins of forts of indeterminate age throughout Ireland and Scotland.
The stones in the remains of the walls show signs of melting together, and nobody can explain it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrified_fort

>take a fort
>pile of corpses and soon-to-be corpses at the spots where fighting was heaviest
>pile on logs and ignite to save having to move them

Maybe it was even religious in nature? Enter heaven in the spot you left the earth and all that?

Ohalo 2
>When the sea level fell dramatically in the sea of Galilee ten years ago [1994] the modern calamity revealed an archaeological treasure: the camp of Stone Age fishermen and hunters, abandoned nearly 20,000 years ago.
In the last decade, falling water levels have allowed Dani Nadel of the University of Haifa in Israel to excavate at the camp five times. It is emerging as perhaps the best preserved Upper Paleolithic dwelling site found anywhere in the world
>The calibrated date is 21,500 BC and the site is similar to the Kebaran culture predating the Natufians. Although this is not a pre-city it is the earliest settlement so far known. Grains were found suggesting the earliest attempt at plant harvesting the forerunner to agriculture. Extremely remarkable as it would be about another nine thousand years before the Natufian culture started farming. As you can see it is presently under water.

>Maybe it was even religious in nature?
That kind of thing was common in the American southwest. Room, and sometimes entire structures, were ceremonially destroyed and burned as a way of closing them off. Most of the time, people were buried in the rooms.

Which reminds me of the fact that people used to just wander around archeological sites and take things. My family has some fully intact minoan pottery because of 19th century tourism.

Reminder that vast amounts of history have been lost in the last few decades let alone centuries due to lack of respect for or inability to recognize artifacts. Not only that but there are undoubtedly countless artifacts in peoples attics that were picked up generations ago and that get passed along rather than being analyzed.

Yeah, Tollense.

It gets referenced here a decent amount cause its pretty interesting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollense

>people used to just wander around archeological sites and take things
>used to
People still do. Looting is incredibly common at most archaeological sites that aren't closed off to the public or protected by security.

Fair point, my understanding is that its a massive problem in South and Central America, more so since they lack the funds to properly uncover much of what's there. As with all academic pursuits there's never enough money for the field as a whole.

It's a much worse problem than that. The Middle East is in a big looting crisis right now, and the US has always had a problem with it (especially the southwest). The only place where it isn't a huge problem is parts of Europe, and that's mostly because sites tend to be inaccessible because of security and other buildings covering them.

In the US at least, it's mostly an issue of law enforcement. Archaeologists don't' want to dig everything up. But cops can't really do anything to prevent it, and when looting has happened, it's damn hard to prove that a crime happened, and that a person did it.

I was outside Redding (U.K.) on a walk recently (last few years) and the local university was doing a dig and had a field museum set. Outside they had a pile of clay fragments from whatever Roman thing they were digging up and a sign inviting people to take pieces. Loved it. Keeps people from trying to knick anything actually interesting but still let's them take part.

>>
Yeah its kinda clear why the Middle East is having a problem but the U.S. is inexcusable. I understand the problem law enforcement has but the cultural attitude is really sad. Now that you've got me thinking on it though I remember hearing about it too. There are some cave paintings near Santa Barbara and they had problems with spray painting, I genuinely don't get that, I don't understand how someone rationalizes that in their head.

Bits of pottery makes sense to put out as a 'deterrent'. I can speak from experience about the sheer amount of pottery that you find on roman digs and while you want some to provide context for layers there's so much of it that analyzing it all is a waste of time. The really cool thing I've got is some wood from the anerobic layer of a roman fort. Since it just decomposes after it's been uncovered they don't care if you take fragments with you (working as a volunteer) so now I've got some pieces of dried wood that was used in antonine roman structures (waddle and daub fencing and a rampart raft specifically)

Ass stop pretending you're someone else

>Atlantis poster.
I was meming

Uwut8?

Please elaborate on what exactly I'm doing? Because apparently you know more than me. I'm just trying to participate in a fun thread.

I'm a mobile posting scum I'll give you that much.

>we will never know who the sea peoples were or what their fucking problem was

>1900 was 20 thousand years ago

They were the anglos.

(I want to believe)

nubian warlords

It was the first German chimp out

>atlantis
user I....

Atlantis is just the Cretean civilization.