Is it true that it's common in the US to graduate High school without being required to read a single word written by a...

Is it true that it's common in the US to graduate High school without being required to read a single word written by a Greek or Roman?

Yes

The banks turned high schools into day care centers, if you want to obtain a real high school level education you have to take out student loans and go into debt for $100k

American here. Yes.

I had a pretty awesome series of English teachers though, so we at least touched on the Odyssey. It was mostly Shakespeare we read for "old literature".

No Cicero, Polybius, Tacitus or anything like that though.

I can safely confirm that I knew almost nothing about the Romans until reading SPQR.

I don't think so. I'm 99% certain everyone I know has read at least one Greek or Roman play in high school. Although there is a disturbing trend of "Afrocentrist" schools avoiding things done by "dead white men".

A single word in English?

If so, you are incorrect, the freshman at my school are required to read the Odyssey

You don't understand how bad it is here. There are highschools in the united states where you never even learn about quadratic equations.

You don't learn anything. Like literally nothing. Nothing at all. I dropped out of high school and learned more in my time working and trying to live than any of the people who stayed in. When I went to college I was ahead of everyone my age.

Schools in the United States are not schools, please spread he word to everyone in the rest of the world and please send help! You are actually better off dropping out of high school and self studying than you are in a US public school!

>implying reading greek and roman history makes you a more efficient laborer

Sounds like you went to school in a shithole, try being born to an upper middle class white family in a prosperous suburban enclave next time

Pretty much this. Public school education differs dramatically depending on the location.

How did you go to college without finishing high school?

We read Greek Literature in like kindergarten, kid

GED

Inner city schools should literally not even exist. Like they actually decrease a student's ability to learn. I know because I went to a ghetto LA middle school and then moved to a white suburb for high school. Both were poor educational centers but at least the white suburb school WAS an educational center. Inner city schools only exist to house children while the parents are working.

GED then 2 years of community college to have some grades to show.

>implying his story is real

What about that even seems unreal to you?

In Canada too

>Implying

This shit happens all the time. If you are genuinely more intelligent than the curriculum at your school, it's piss easy to drop out, grab a GED, and hop straight into college at 17/18. Do a year or two at a community college, do well, then you can transfer to university. Just make sure your credits are transferable.

Doing all that and wasting money on credits that won't transfer is infuriating.

>doing all that and wasting money on credits that won't transfer is infuriating
You're telling me. My math and english credits didn't transfer when I changed schools so I had to redo the most boring classes all over again. I mean it was my fault for not checking but still.

I don't know how common or uncommon it is but I remember we read a prose version of the Odyssey in Freshmen year.

Then again I went to a private catholic school so...

>World History is a required course and European History is a course one can take if they want.
>You have to read one thing written by the Romans and Greeks

>Is it true.
Is it true you are a dumb ass?

A had a friend who, due to fortunate geography was able to attend a primary school in one of the wealthiest communities in the country, the type of place where billionaire's live.

The education there was so advanced that by the time he went to highschool (normal highschool not billionair highschool) he had already learned everything that would be taught HS minus the math.

I did this and I went to a public school

>there are highschool in the united states where you never even learn about quadratic equations
horseshit
Every American has to take Algebra and the quadratic equation is used in algebra a shit ton
>dropped out of highschool
>went to college
pick one

Probably, but in general, it depends on location.

I went to school in a somewhat poor semi-rural/suburban location, and I think the only Greek or Roman text I had to read was The Odyssey. And that was in an advanced English class in junior high. Students in normal classes didn't have to read it. Most of the other material we read was much more recent; I think everything that wasn't Shakespeare was from the nineteenth and twentieth century. We were also taught an version of evolution that was supposed to be neutral that included nonjudgmental discussion about both creationism and intelligent design.

kek
I went to a normal middleschool and learned everything I needed to by highschool
highschool is just a fast track version of middle school
its the last chance for kids to learn what personification is, even though that term was introduced in 4th grade.
HS curriculum is literally middle-school condensed+math/chemistry

I was lucky and my high school offered a mythology class. We read the Iliad, the Odyssey, and Oedipus Rex. At least one of these should be required in English classes.

The point of highschool isn't the curriculum, its for preparing you to have a good scholastic work ethic and teach you a few basic skills. Most people forget all of the technical things such as math and science and simply come out being able to approach certain things more like an adult than before. Highschool is useless for pretty much anything else, even Europeans forget how to derive equations after a few years working at starbucks or a cubicle.