So what would you describe as European culture? I see it as stuff akin to folklore relating to knights and dragons...

so what would you describe as European culture? I see it as stuff akin to folklore relating to knights and dragons, paganism, consumerism, art that focuses only on realism, and people like varg confirm it. Is this accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

slatestarcodex.com/2016/07/25/how-the-west-was-won/
youtu.be/ukwA--tIokg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I am pretty sure there was, at one point, such a thing as western civilization. I think it involved things like dancing around maypoles and copying Latin manuscripts. At some point [Jupiter] might have been involved. That civilization is dead. It summoned an alien entity from beyond the void which devoured its summoner and is proceeding to eat the rest of the world.

slatestarcodex.com/2016/07/25/how-the-west-was-won/

1. An Indo-European or Uralic language, not including the Indo-Aryan branch. Exceptions to this exist (Basque, Maltese), but it's pretty straightforward.

2. Christianity, excluding some of the unusual Eastern churches (Ethiopian Orthodox Church, for example).

3. Democracy/republicanism. Yes, Europe has obviously had monarchies, but from Classical Greece to Republican Rome to Magna Carta to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, there seems to be something intrinsically linking Europeans and democracy.

4. Rationalism. A belief that events, and the world at large, are explainable without a vague "the gods did it" answer. Similarly art is "rational" (it explains something in realistic ways).

5. Greco-Roman legacy. This one is arguably redundant, but the various European cultures all draw very heavily from these two civilizations.

everything that is wrong in the world has stemmed from Europe

>Indo-European language
Came to Europe only a few thousand years ago
>Christianity
Came to Europe less than two thousand years ago
>Democracy/republicanism
Only existed in very few European nations historically, it is a VERY new thing to Europe, like 20th century new
>rationalism
Once again very recent, not even a few hundred years old
>Greco-Roman legacy
Pic related

Posts like these always just scream butthurt.

>cultural traditions hundreds or thousands of years old are too recent to count
>cultural trends that are nearly unique to Europe don't count if they aren't ubiquitous
>Europeans don't actually follow the Greco-Roman Legacy

How many levels of retarded are you on?

How many years do people have to do a thing before it becomes their culture?

Wow you really convinced me I was wrong

Yes, please tell us more about how unique civilizational defining characteristics don't count because they are uh....only as old as the civilizations that define them.

Don't feed the troll. He's not actually making any arguments.

Rome, greece, local elected governments in spain, and germany. The pope is elected. The basques vote under oak trees since time immediately

But democracy is new to europe

Right, but no other groups of people have experimented with some version of democracy as much as Europeans have.

Would you say that semetic religions are compatible with Europe? (early christianity, islam, judaism, sihkism, etc) Christianity is the only one that took off but it probably became heavily altered over time because of it. If not, why wouldn't they be compatible? Is the abrahamic God mad at Europe for it?

Idk, I never really thought about that. While it's obvious that Christianity adopted everything from a lot of pagan imagery to Neoplatonism, it's hard to tell how much of that was "required" for Christianity to become popular.

Do we have any legitimate anthropologists on Veeky Forums to help us with this?

Is /pol/ western? /pol/ is not very rational

Everything about our modern life is European culture. The style of dress, roads, glabalization, even Americanism is just European culture in another continent. Literally everything about how our socciety and modern governance throughout the world is either European, or primarily influenced by Europeans.

The great Adolf Hitler explains what Europe is in this speech

youtu.be/ukwA--tIokg

racism
colonialism
xenophobia
homophobia
islamophobia
slavery
microagressions

Nazism was an aberration from western traditionalism desu. Anti-democratic, anti-Christian, anti-rational, etc.

>wordreference: synonyms for "racism"
You sure gave as a lesson, user. Not sure if troll or just American.

A lot of misunderstandings and enmities among Europeans would have been solved by now, had they followed Spengler's definition of the "West" rather than a somewhat misguided pan-europeanism.

>falling for obvious pol bait

What do you mean European culture? There are many cultures within Europe, all different. What aspect of it do you want to know more about?

I'm pretty sure knights and dragons exist in Chinese culture and other non European cultures as well. As does consumerism. So I would say that is not accurate.

You could say Christianity, but in Europe there are many types of Christianity, as well as Judaism and Islam and more recently Atheism, historically there was paganism as well. So can you really say that? Perhaps not.
Culture can be anything and everything, be more specific. Europe certainly has distinctive art, music, food, etc. Are you looking for things that bind all Europeans together? That might be difficult to find.

Opera, fucking pasta, cheese for gods sake, the mona lisa, christmas/yule, latin script, Shakespeare, and yes folklore, idioms, etc. Many types of culture exist. To say Europe has no culture is wrong.

Strange that all my random examples of European culture are mostly Italian.

All your points are terribly stupid or irrelevant.

I guess Basques don't count as European then

>I'm pretty sure knights and dragons exist in Chinese culture
China doesn't have knights and the Chinese "dragon" is unrelated to the European one. They just share the same name because some Europeans looked at the Chinese lóng and decided it was a "dragon" because it was a big reptile.

I explicitly mentioned Basques as an exception to a rule that otherwise works.

It's odd.

East Asian culture can be summarized as Confucianism + Taoism + Buddhism.

Westerners must squabble about what they "are".

Mongolia is considered East Asian but they only have Buddhism and the Tibetan version of it, unlike the rest which have the Chinese version.

Nobody considers Mongolia "East Asian" in any way but geographically. It's solidly Central Asian.

>art that focusses on realism
Taking the bait, but the biggest surrealists were European.
Van Gogh, first wave of modern art painters, Piet Mondrian - known for the stijl. Not to mention some Spanish surrealists, Dalí and Picasso.

european culture is too varied to compile it into a monolithic definition

>so what would you describe as European culture?
a focus on individualism over collectivism as a personal mindset

It's the opposite of Vietnam. They are geographically Southeast Asian but their culture is really similar to southern China.

Opera

Art

All the sports

Etc

You were peasants that quite literally lived among shit during Antiquity, you were peasants that literally quite literally lived among shit during the medieval times, quite literally lived among shit during the enlightment and you are now redneck peasants now living in coal polluted waters of appalachia

Now sit down and take your meth

>European culture

Nigga, what?

>even Americanism is just European culture in another continent.
Americanisation is actually eroding real European culture you autist