>believe the gospel is mythology

Is this nigger for real?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Welcome to post-modern Christianity

>there are people who take the old testament literally

why shouldn't it be taken literally?

I always say, if faggots with wieners can be women then i can be an atheist catholic

that's an interesting saying user

Its untenable. Where are the ruins of this monstrous building?

Eridu, Iraq

who does God say "let there be light" to?

>implying the Tower's ruins weren't scrapped and used to construct other buildings as the years went by

it's another user thinks your interpretation of an ancient text should depend on modern knowledge

Alexander the Great had it deconstructed you absolute mong.
>Alexander the Great ordered it to be demolished circa 331 BCE in preparation for a reconstruction that his death forestalled.

proof?

Himself. He'd fit right in on Veeky Forums.

>you absolute mong

I'm not the one making excuses for a pantsu-on-head story

He just posted some greentext as though he were citing a source we can assume to be reputable . That should be enough..

He's basically the character Shatov from the novel Demons irl. Right down to the cynical belief in religion. Disgusting desu

>Etemenkai being the tower of Babel when there's an incomplete Ziggurat with a larger foundation then the Babylon zig. Incomplete Ziggurat built in more ancient and religiously significant city Eridu

No historical evidence of the exodus ever happening

>Noah's Arc
>Exodus
>Tower of Babel
>Creation story

No evidence for any of it, like much of the Bible, and much of it can be proven to have not happened by historians or by our understanding of science.

Yeah, just like the pyramids and other huge historical monuments

oh wait

>inb4 muh wheels

>It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.
Augustine of Hippo, The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20, Chapt. 19 [AD 408]

Because it wasn´t an "exodus" but there was an army on their heels. They got thrown out for their crimes, as they´ve ben around 400 times that we know about. Back then they were called the Hyksos tribe, ruled by Akhenaten, leader of their cult of "monotheism" which was really Mystery Babylon.

Imperial Cult? That you?

he believes in Christian morality as an important foundation of western civiliation that shouldn't be discarded,
but when the hell did he say he's a real Christian?

whenever he talks about mythology he says the stories are true only in a psychological or genetic imprint sense, never in real terms.

I dunno. He said he believes in God and he's going through the Bible systematically. I suppose I just assumed these went together.

I feel like he really wants to believe, but he can't, which is possibly the source of his melancholy.

Still he's evangelizing to fedoras in a way that they find really persuasive. It's a stepping stone that's better than nothing.

He acts like a Christian should act. Which is more than most believers.

The pyramids had a limestone veneer that has been stolen. They don't look like they used to.

not the other guy, but peterson always talks about god as a moving principle, an ideal, not really as some bearded dude sitting on a cloud
if you pay attention to him it becomes clear he embraces the parts of religion that reinforce societal health, individual self-realization, and group/family adherence

>literally advocating for religion as a means of social control

He must be stopped

Laws are a means of societal control as is culture. Religion has measurable positive benefits. Sadly Western laws undermine the morals and behaviors that keep society healthy.

Single mothers/premarital sex as a primary example. You benefit more financially from being an unemployed single mother with a boyfriend than being married or single without children.

hey if it keeps the little people from murdering and raping i'm fine until a better substitute is made

>Social control is bad

I remember when i was a teen

I'm under the impression that most Jews aside from the Kairites and maybe other sects I'm not familiar with do not take the Tanakh literally.

I think he does believe, he just won't say it outright. Partially because he has doubts, and due to his "only speak the truth" thing he avoids saying things he isn't certain of, and partially because he can't explain the parts he is certain of to materialists, and he worries the rest of his message will be discounted if he can't offer a satisfying explanation of the more metaphysical phenomenon he believes in.

He literally believes that no one has ever gotten away with anything immoral, so whatever he's holding back must top that on the scale of immaterial cosmic weirdness.

I think he has made the point that you have to define belief and what is meant by God. He has said something along the lines of he focuses on action rather than intellectual reason. Thus to "believe in God" for him, is to act as if God exists. Thus he argues that while someone like Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins may continually argue that they do not believe in God, they may act as if God exists. Also his notion of God seems again to be a combination of multiple meta-definitions or notions of God rather than a strictly christian God.

His God seems to just be "a being that embodies the Truth of the universe" and the Bible is the closest approximation to that Truth that humans have ever achieved, as well as Jesus Christ being the closest a person has ever gotten to that Truth

I see him going through the Bible the same as when he goes through Pinocchio or the Lion King

I just figured he was some liberal borderline-gnostic christian

it is more so that he recognizes the value and "truths" bound up in Christianity and the biblical stories and thus wants to draw attention to them. Furthermore he makes constant reference to how certain stories are directly related to those of other cultures across time rather than only focusing on christian stories and saying all the others are wrong. Most people seem to think that because the Bible isn't historically "true" and that there is no proof for God we should just toss out all religion and religious stories. He is arguing that there is a reason these stories have lasted this long and are repeated cross culturally and thus they have value and should be respected as such.

>not really as some bearded dude sitting on a cloud
Fuck, I hate this meme. No one thinks of God this way anymore. The last people to imagine God that way were probably the Romans.

Christians don't believe in a bearded man sitting on a cloud or a sky fairy

He isn't Christian, he's a disgusting Gnostic.
Evidence is nonexistent. Historians are irrelevant. Science is systematic horseshit.
UGH UGH THIS THING DOESNT FIT INTO MY IDEOLOGY THAT MEANS ITS WRONG I CANT BE WRONG BECAUSE MY BELIEFS ARE POPULAR UGH UGH IM SO RATIONAL XD
THE GOD ON THE CLOUD IS A PAGAN GOD. IT DEVELOPED FROM PAGAN REPRESENTATIONS OF THEIR 'GODS'. DURING THIS PERIOD, THE WEST WAS OVERCOME WITH MORE HERESY THAN EVEN NOW. ANY SUPPORTER OF THIS HERETICAL ART IS NOT CHRISTIAN, BUT CRYPTO-PAGAN (I.E., CATHOLICS AND THE SISTINE CHAPEL CEILING WITH ITS BLATANTLY PAGAN ART.)

>Christians don't believe in a bearded man sitting on a cloud or a sky fairy

Then why do they invariably depict just that?

Lmao Christians are fucking retarded

CHRISTIANS BTFO

Roman artists used what they knew and were trained in.

Oh no, its this guy again

>Then why do they invariably depict just that?
Because it's the easiest way to depict God, and the Christian artists during the Renaissance were influenced a ton by the Greeks and the Romans.

This

THOSE ARE NOT CHRISTIANS, THOSE ARE CRYPTO-PAGANS.
Why does somebody being correct upset you?

Not to mention they were all Platonist gnostic pagan devil worshipers!

Even if you were demonstrably correct we wouldn't need a deluge of posts saying the same banal truism over and over.

You don't need anything. I don't do this because I need to, I do it because I want to and am urged to.

So you don't need to promote Gods word and instead you are free to do whatever you want? Are you sure you haven't been reading the Thelema?

You don't understand how Christianity works. You are stuck in humanist (Gnostic [yes, Gnosticism is humanist you little shit]) thought.

You don't understand, well, anything really

Understanding is nonexistent. Go back to /r/eddit please.

>understanding is nonexistent

That doesn't sound like a platonic idea at all

No, it's not like Plato claimed that humans inherently actually understand everything but become ignorant of that understanding upon corporealization. No, Plato was clearly one of those sophists!

I've never met a Calvinist druggie before.

I'm neither of those things. I do drink a lot, though.

No you are both of those things because I said so

No, you are wrong. This is my world; the sun rises for me.

Then explain this

youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

Don't talk out of turn, my property.

one could get sainted with those opinions back then?

>cynical
except he literally worships religion so much that he deems anything that has a "Religious substructure" as true and good.

Why wouldn't they?

Because he was he thinks it leads to greater social cohesion, which is an incredibly cynical way to justify religion

even islam?

No, he thinks it's accumulated wisdom that's been written down in the form of stories, and social cohesion is a consequence of the wisdom that's derived from taking those stories to heart.
That's where his argument falls apart for me, because his excuse is that he's only well versed in christianity so he pushes that mostly, but also brings up some Buddhism and a bit of taoism, but I think he has bascially no knowledge of islam so he doesn't comment on it. I think he would argue that if he did know all of islam he would say that "it's a challenge to separate the wheat from the chaff". At least that was his excuse on the Joe Rogan podcast when Joe asked him about the more problematic passages in christianity.

So basically it's religious substructures when he says it is, when the religious stories are crap it's not. That's where his whole thesis falls apart.
But I'm sure he would say that he can confidently assess that by his "five levels of analysis" that he uses to prop up the Horus story in egyptian mythology as one of those "True religous substructure stories".

it's still a completely cynical view of religion

Why? Just because you don't take it literally doesn't make it cynical. In fact anyone who's a literal christian for instance is just insane.

Why should it be?

ANYBODY I DONT LIKE IS JUST CRAZY. LOOK HOW RATIONAL I AM. KILL THE CRAZIES SHOVE PENCILS UP THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DISSENT AGAINST ME LOL

or they just haven't closely examined it. it's not like most christians read the bible more than occasionally going through proverbs and the gospels to find moral lessons they think they can learn from

you don't have to take it literally, but viewing religion as just a good set of moral laws without talking about the spiritual elements is disgusting. Might as well read Alain de Botton

It's funny because I critque fundamentalists for taking things literally by calling them 'insane' in a non-literal way and you respond by reading the 'insane' remark literally and in all caps when obviously I didn't mean literally insane.

Ah, so it's the lack of faith that you take issue with? That's intersesting. Could you elaborate on why you find that objectionable?

>written 400 years after the death of Christ
Opinion disregarded.

>written 400 years after christ
wouldn't you have to discard most texts by that logic then?

>written 4000 years after genesis allegedly happened

to me, the core of religion is the aspect of faith. Religion is the individual's desire to interact with and penetrate the eternal. If it's just a social code, then it's replaceable by any other social code.
I brought up the character Shatov because he believed in the Russian nation and the importance orthodoxy held in it, but couldn't make the final leap to true faith, and that made him ultimately a flawed character no different than his ideological enemy Kirillov.

I DIDNT LITERALLY MEAN IT LOL I WAS BEING IRONIC LMAO

Kys, infidel