What hæppened to it regarding the English language? Was it the fucking french who did it?

What hæppened to it regarding the English language? Was it the fucking french who did it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English#Until_Middle_English
youtube.com/watch?v=e0ybnLRf3gU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The french, the germans, the latins.

English would have been better without these shitty languages influencing us.

English has practically zero German influence though?

Totally wrong though?

>German influence

It's a germanic language you retards

I can think of a few German loanwords, mostly relating to linguistics:
Sprachbund
Umlaut
Ablaut
Urheimat
Schadenfreude

"Loanword" is a calque from German "Lehnwort".

Simplification of spelling.
Nobody's stopping you from writing mediæval or comœdy.

>have a linguistics thread
>all these retarded ideas within 7 posts

First time? This is our famous high level of discourse

Sometimes I wonder with what authority do we bash reddit

>only sometimes

By the authority of "it pisses them off and leads to all sorts of lulz and drama."

Basically the Normans got rid of it, which was really stupid because English never really lost the /æ/ sound.

There is a difference between "Germanic" (English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian) and "German". English has relatively little direct influence from German, but it's descended from similar West Germanic languages with significant North Germanic influence. Then of course the Normans screwed up everything.

tfw my language still uses æ

English already being its own branch of the Germanic languages is not influence from the German language you fucking dipshit.

>Basically the Normans got rid of it, which was really stupid because English never really lost the /æ/ sound.
What is it with people on Veeky Forums always posting misinformation? Cant you people do just a little bit of research before you post?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English#Until_Middle_English

English lost /æ/ by the Middle English period and only regained it in the 17th century.

Being danish isn't a thing to be proud of, Sören-Mikkel

What are you, Danish? Norwegian?

>æː/ (from Old English /æː, æɑ/) and /ɑː/ became /ɛː/ and /ɔː/, respectively.
>/æ/ (from Old English /æ, æ̆ɑ̆/) and /ɑ/ merged into /a/.

Looks like I dropped the ball. Sorry about that.

Well Gaia and 9gag are played out, we need to drive reddit into the ground and then find a new normalfag site to target

norwegian

whæt æbout þis badboy?

The Normans got rid of it because they were autistic, but Icelandic still uses it. Faroese might too.

The biggest reason why letters such as æ, þ and others vanished was because of the printing press.
The latin letters were already present and it would have cost more to commision extra letters.
Thus english slowly started to phase out these letters and using alternative spellings of words.

Other languages adopted countless accent marks and whatnot, I'm not finding this very convincing.

I've heard that Dutch is a middle ground between English and German. Is this true?

Both Dutch and the Northern German dialects, yes. I've never formally studied Dutch, but since I've studied some German and English is my mother tongue, Dutch is fairly easy to read and understand.

Nynorsk is the one written standard that uses æ and is not Danish or Danish-based.

Nynorsk is just norwegian larping as Icelandic

how did you get that wrong you fucking imbecile

>I've heard that Dutch is a middle ground between English and German. Is this true?

It kind of was, like 500 years ago.

Just listen to Chaucer.

youtube.com/watch?v=e0ybnLRf3gU

>Nynorsk is just norwegian larping as Icelandic

No it's not? Nynorsk isn't even remotely close to Icelandic.

It's trying to go back to it's roots before danish influenced norwegian, but it fails at it.
Just learn Icelandic, the supreme unaltered nordic language.

>he thinks Icelandic isn't unaltered

lel

But he's not though?

Icelandic is the least influenced of the nordic languages, and while not completely unaltered is the closest thing to old nordic.
if you find old nordic writing chances are an Icelander will understand 100% of it while all scandifags will have trouble understanding it.

Also that was a double negative making your statement:
>he thinks icelandic is altered

That is of course true, but it's not an unaltered language. They have had several spelling reforms, and it does have both grammatical and phonological differences from Old Norse.

Icelandic is it's own language; it is not Old Norse, even though it is the most similar.

The differences between Icelandic and Old Norse is actually quite similar to the differences between Modern and Ancient Greek.

I thought it was clear i was being hyperbolic

p. dope, a lot bouncier

>Implying one language can be "better" than the other.

>Implying all languages are equal
Listen to danish and then tell me that

Nynorsk is Norwegian with Norwegian characteristics.
Bokmaal is Danish with Norwegian characteristics.

The entire language is fucking German with French loan words like Williams namesake instead of Germans Oberon which means literally to get on top of.

>Was it the fucking french who did it?

According to Anglos it is our fault

bump