Tell me about the Yugoslav wars of the 90's?

Tell me about the Yugoslav wars of the 90's?

Who was wrong? Who was right? Did Serbia deserve to get bombed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JfX4GJBSI0g
youtu.be/JaEWJVWiWMQ
youtu.be/nq_J2C6Hrz0
youtube.com/watch?v=x4sqMNHZxjI
youtube.com/watch?v=lFnYHja6R0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Who was right?
Sebia
>Who was wrong?
Everyone else
>Did Serbia deserve to get bombed.
No

just a balkan chimpout ruining a good thing

depends who you ask, there really isn't any "good guy" in the balkans because every side hates the others for legitimate reasons

Every republic had the right to secede and secession was really the only possibility as Serbs opposed democratisation and decentralisation and were systematically wrestling power away from other ethnicities.

omggg of course Serbs got what they deserved, theres this massive band wagon of "serbs did nothing wrong" or some bs like that, eg. Kosovo: it is proven that kosovo (and most o the rest of the slavic balkan area) was always in the illyrians (believed to be modern day albanians), kosovo has more albanians than there are serbs in kosovo, their reaction to that was to start killing them (ethnic Albanians) LITERALLY GENOCIDE. Look theres this massive debate of if nato wanted to help the kla or they pressured by the un, but no matter what they had to do something because they were literally killing innocents and ofcourse they deserved what they got. besides serbs got that land off the Albanians when the turks gave it to them for allying with them. this shit dates back and i do believe serbs had it coming for a long time.

It deserved worse than it got. It should've been occupied and it's territory split apart until it was smaller than Luxembourg.

WRONG

>Who was right?
Croatia
>Who was wrong?
Serbia
Yes

t. Tuđman

So it went something like this

>bunch of barbarian tribes from central Asia settle in Eastern Europe
>get Turked and then end up under the Austro-Hungarian Empire
>Serbs don't like Austro-Hungarian Empire, kill a visiting archduke in Belgrade, triggering WW1
>after WW1, the allies have the bright idea of splitting Austro-Hungary into a bunch of different countries
>one of these is Yugoslavia, which is a catch-all for the various peoples in the south of the former empire
>Serbs treat Yugoslavia as a new Serbian Empire, because in their minds they earned it by killing archduke Ferdinand and getting independence
>WW2 happens
>Croats are angry with Serbs bullshit, so they form a collaboration government with the Nazis and start putting Serbs onto the same production lines as Jews
>eventually, partisans under Marshall Tito manage to form a relatively multiethnic, communist government
>Tito's government becomes "non-aligned" which means they get into a sugar daddy relationship with both the east and west
>ethnic tensions are soothed by Tito's totalitarian government, and by the constant inflows of foreign monies
>Yugoslavia is one of the nicest communist countries (this isn't that hard to do) until Tito dies in 1980
>as the 1980s progress, ethnic tensions between the different provinces begin to return as the Serbs attempt to recreate the "Greater Serbia" project, the Yugoslav government tries to cling onto power by convincing Serbs that the atrocities of WW2 will return if the central government is no longer in power to protect them, and the money begins to dry up
>as the communist countries around them begin to fall out, a charismatic nationalist named Slobodon Milosevic takes charge in Serbia, which is now the only country in Yugoslavia that still wants to be Yugoslavia

1/3

>Croatia, being the second most nationalist group in Yugoslavia after Serbia, is the first to test the waters by declaring independence from Yugoslavia
>Slovenia also declares independence in June 1991, but nobody cares that much because there is no Serb minority in Slovenia to worry about or to justify a war
>the conflict in Slovenia ends in a negotiated settlement after a few hundred deaths and Ten Days, and is known as the Ten Day War
>shit goes much further south in Croatia, when the Croatian Serbs declare their secession from Croatia immediately following Croatia's declaration of independence
>Yugoslavian National Army (read: Serbs) enter the war on the side of the Croatian Serbs
>this shit happens

youtube.com/watch?v=JfX4GJBSI0g

>next, Bosnia tries independence
>both Serbs and Croats back their own breakaway governments
>Milosevic has learned from the meat grinder in Croatia that he can't have the proper army bleeding in these things
>Milosevic calls up a bunch of literal gangsters (the leader was wanted by Interpol for murder and bank robbery before the war started), opens the armories of the Yugoslavian Army, and tells them they're now the indigenous national resistance
>the International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia later rules that the Bosnian Serbs were a criminal enterprise led by Slobodon Milosevic with the goal of carving out a Greater Serbia in Bosnia by killing enough of the people who were living there that the rest flee and Serbs can take over the land
>the Serbs, being the only people who wanted to be Yugoslavia, have inherited most of the guns
>Clinton, in his infinite wisdom, decides that America has done enough and the Europeans should be trusted to solve European problems

2/ is anyone reading

Yes, but most of your first post should be rewritten because it's wrong. This one is quite a bit more accurate but I'd like to point out that both Slovenia and Croatia declared independence on the same day. Also, there were less than a hundred casualties in Slovenia's independence war. And another minor detail, Montenegrins still supported Yugoslavia until late 90s when this gradually changed.

>the UN sets up various safe zones so that civilians can be protected from ethnic cleansing
>out of the six that are set up, three are attacked frontally by the Bosnian Serbs
>in one, the Ukrainian held safe zone, the peacekeepers manage to hold on long enough for the people inside to evacuate to other safe zones
>in one, protected by the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, there is a pitched battle with mortar duels and a great deal of gunfire, and the Serbs are repulsed
>the British government refuses to admit that a battle had happened, but the incident still holds the record for the most medals given out in "peacetime"
>in the Dutch held area, Srebrenica, the peacekeepers are ordered not to shoot back and end up getting taken hostage
>the Serbs take the refugees, separate the men from the women and children, tell the women and children to get lost, and then kill the men, about 8,000 in all
>this, combined with the Serbs shooting at NATO pilots enforcing the no-fly-zone, convinces Clinton that there will be more footage of mass graves showing up on CNN and making him look bad
>Clinton decides to bomb the Bosnian Serbs
>at the same time, the Croats muster a counter-offensive, Operation Storm, throughout both Croatia and Bosnia, and pushing the Serbs back in both countries
>hundreds of thousands of Serbs flee from the oncoming offensive, a couple of UN peacekeepers are killed, and a significant number of war crimes are committed
>unlike the Serbs, the Croats actually prosecute several thousand of their own people for war crimes committed during Operation Storm
>with the combination of NATO planes in the sky and Croat and Bosnian armies on the ground, the Bosnian Serbs decide to call it a day
>under the Dayton Accords, Bosnia is partitioned between the Serb part, the Croat part, and the Bosnian part

what'd I screw up?

Not acknowledging Greek volunteers being cunts in Srebrenica is disingenuous

Let's pic dump this shit thread

>bunch of barbarian tribes from central Asia settle in Eastern Europe
Tribes from Eastern Europe settling in Central and South-eastern Europe.
>get Turked and then end up under the Austro-Hungarian Empire
Part of South Slavs came under Ottoman rule after the Turkish invasion of the Balkans while the rest were ruled by the Austrians and Hungarians.
>Serbs don't like Austro-Hungarian Empire, kill a visiting archduke in Belgrade, triggering WW1
Bosnian Serbs supported by Serbia that had a Pan-Slavic agenda
>after WW1, the allies have the bright idea of splitting Austro-Hungary into a bunch of different countries
>one of these is Yugoslavia, which is a catch-all for the various peoples in the south of the former empire
Yugoslavia was formed as the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes after the unrecognised State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs made a deal with the Kingdom of Serbia, seeking protection from Italy and Austria.
>Serbs treat Yugoslavia as a new Serbian Empire, because in their minds they earned it by killing archduke Ferdinand and getting independence
>WW2 happens
>Croats are angry with Serbs bullshit, so they form a collaboration government with the Nazis and start putting Serbs onto the same production lines as Jews
Quite simplified. While the official policy was one of centralisation and a formation of a Yugoslav identity, the two ethnicities had plans of their own. But the ones pushing boundaries the most were the Croats as they forced the creation of the Banovina of Croatia and then sided with Germany after Yugoslavia broke away from a pact with the Axis.
>eventually, partisans under Marshall Tito manage to form a relatively multiethnic, communist government
After the Dolomite declaration, the partisans did become the de-facto communist-controlled army - the armed wing of the party which had nothing to do with politics.

>at this point, it's becoming increasingly clear to every two bit gangster in the Balkans that getting your own country to play around with has never been easier
>a group called the Kosovo Liberation Army, which has existed since the outset of the Yugoslav wars, steps up its attacks on Serb security forces in Kosovo
>the situation in Kosovo is different, politically, in that Kosovo is part of Serbia proper, albeit a majority Albanian Muslim one
>the Serbs only seem to have one response to problems, which is to massacre the nearest civilians and see if that fixes it
>the KLA isn't stupid, they know that every Serb reprisal against civilians adds to their recruit pool
>as the situation escalates from 1998-2000, the number of refugees and internally displaced persons in Kosovo spikes into the hundreds of thousands, with many people fleeing their homes into the mountains, where they die of exposure
>Clinton is very, very sick of this shit
>it has been nine fucking years and the Balkan Wars are still on CNN
>Clinton decides to bomb Serbia proper until they get the message
>Serbia finally abandons the war, and Milosevic is overthrown not long after
>the insurgency in Kosovo triggers smaller insurgencies among ethnic Albanians in the Precevo Valley, outside of Kosovo proper and in Serbia itself, and across the border in Macedonia
>the Precevo Valley insurgency gradually simmers down, and the conflict in Macedonia ends in a negotiated settlement after an enraged NATO tells both sides to shut their cakeholes
>as with most countries that start an unjust war and then lose it, Serbia went into full damage control mode and is still extremely butthurt
>Russia is butthurt too, as Serbia is their traditional ally

To answer OP's question, Milosevic, the Bosnians/Croats/NATO, and yes.

I'd be lying if I said I'd ever read a book about Yugoslavia pre-1980 or so. I was just looking to add some kind of historical background to the juicy bits.

Thanks.

Is anybody in this thread, should I continue with pics?

Yes.

Ok this is the end. Of my yugo pic folder, sadly it's not so big, but still hope you enjoyed

Well done, user.

>Yugoslav thread
>no trashy Balkans music
For shame, Veeky Forums, for shame.
youtu.be/JaEWJVWiWMQ

And, of course, the best song: All Mosques fly into the sky
youtu.be/nq_J2C6Hrz0

How did they find the time to make so many meme songs when a war was going on?

Gotta win those hearts and minds, friend.

Wouldn't be the first time a country spent a bit too much time on song & dance in a war; the Nazis were incredibly bad at this.

youtube.com/watch?v=x4sqMNHZxjI

This is what their soldiers were doing offduty.

>Serbian artillery is led by god
Wrong.
youtube.com/watch?v=lFnYHja6R0U

I can't even tell if this is ironic anymore.
These threads keep popping up and there's always just outright Serb hate in them. Is it the Bosnian internet defense force?
Is it Veeky Forums being contrarian to the rest of Veeky Forums?

>I can't even tell if this is ironic anymore

"Irony" literally doesn't mean anything any more.

Neither does literally for that matter.

I can't tell if it's a Serb bitching about the Serb hate on the board or if Albanians are that retarded.

We both know Serbs have a massive victim complex and Albanians are clinically retarded, so it's going to be a little difficult to narrow things down.

Are there any really good books about the Yugoslav Wars and all that shit that went down in the 1990's?

kek balkan tribes are adorable

Serbija rusija bratja

Dont worry slavic brothers kosovo and agia Sofia will be return Home soon mark
My words

We take Krym we gona take kosovo bosnia and istanbul soon to Fuck the west

Slava bratija od bosniji do albana bice mertvi svima musilmana !!!!!

Slava slavjnski bratja nasi nikada nie zaboravljti rusija pomozi vam pobedit vasich jebanich dusmanskich musilman iz turciji i bosniji i albaniji

Ja sam ruski ratnik dla mena svima serbi su nasi bratja i junaki i gajdamaki i hajduki !!!!!!!!

Slava bratja da budi mir na serbskaj orthdokakaj byzantijnska zemlji i u vas i u nama

Archduke was killed in Sarajevo which was under formal AH control at the time, pretty big mistake there

Tupac alive in Serbia

>serbs chimpout over "muh Greater Serbia"
>when the most Serbia accomplished was getting TURKED and not converting
>genocide people that are sick of their autism
>to this day The Eternal Serb denies his warcrimes

Tell me about the alleged genocidal rape campaigns during the war.

this tbqhwyf