I just watched Kingdom of Heaven, and I must say, I was quite impressed. However, it's a movie...

I just watched Kingdom of Heaven, and I must say, I was quite impressed. However, it's a movie, so I know for a fact it's not entirely historically accurate. Can someone give me the rundown on the period of time the movie portrays, at least, in the Levant?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mTjUu1Bt29o
youtube.com/watch?v=H94MLf4-P2E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If by bait, you mean I want a reply on what happened during one of the Crusader times, then yes.

I mean, almost every "fact" about the movie was inaccurate.

It plays extremely fast and loose with timing, backgrounds, events, and dates.

It's easier to list what is accurate

> Baldwin 4 was baller
> Saladin was baller
> Raynald de Chatillon was a giant prick
> the Crusaders lost Hattin due to being retarded
> Saladin spared many of the Christians of Jerusalem, but they were ransomed for a "below-market" price rather than being let free. The ones that could not be ransomed were sold into slavery. All Templar/Hospitaliers were killed after capture.

As to the last part, one other bro-tier act was omitted. Upon seeing the plight of the poor who could not afford their ransom, Saladin's brother forfeited his share of the plunder to pay the ransom for some 1000 Christians.

Thanks, user.

I mean this channel is actually fantastic

youtube.com/watch?v=mTjUu1Bt29o

Raynald de Chatillon was an insane war criminal because he spent 10 years in the dungeons of Aleppo.

Aleppo; been hearing that name a lot lately.

It's not even close to accurate, they mixed three separate crusades into one movie. LOL

The only thing you need to know is that the guy you see riding off for another crusade at the end of the movie slapped saladin's shit up every time they met

And still managed to lose the war, what a loser lmao

Well, you're technically wrong because Saladin was really baller af. Even his christian enemies praised him.

He listed in greentext what was accurate. Reading comprehension

>characters speaking english
dropped

What is Aleppo?

Raynald was a lunatic asshole even before Aleppo.

>The wealthy Latin Patriarch of Antioch, Aimery of Limoges, was Raynald's principal opponent.[16] He even refused to pay a subsidy to him.[13] In retaliation, Raynald captured and tortured Aimery, forcing him to sit naked and covered with honey in the sun, before imprisoning him.

>lots of Crusaders were actually tolerant SJWs

incredibly trashy movie

Fuck are you talking about?
I vividly remember one scene with an unarmed Muslim prisoner being beheaded. If you're talking about Arabs and Europeans, both Muslim and Christian living together in the Crusader Kingdoms, that happened. It wasn't holding hands and kumbaya, but they did coexist.

The crusader states achieved lasting peace under Baldwin IV who BTFO Saladin at the early age of 13 but then died of leprosy. He was a kind of Reinhard von Lohengramm figure.

He co-ruled with his young son Baldwin V but he got coup'd by his mom and Saladin attacked and took Jerusalem. Saladin decided not to genocide Jerusalem as the crusaders had done almost a century earlier so as not to provoke a large crusade. There was another crusade by Richard the Lionheart, but he just memed around a little near the coast then went back to Europe to be kidnapped by Germans and war with rivals in France.

>What is Jerusalem worth?
>Nothing...
>Everything!
What did Saladin mean by this?

I mean, Ridley Scot is a good director. Surely he didn't just put the "nothing" part without a good reason. I understand the everything part, but why would Jerusalem be worth nothing?

>Fuck are you talking about?

I'm talking about Tiberias and Baldwin who want to achieve le kingdom of heaven and tolerance against evil white males

My interpretation of it is that he was saying that the value of Jerusalem is subjective.

Because its just a city

Because material possessions worth nothing, but the spiritual value of Jerusalem is everything?

>+1 missionary and greatness per year, here you come

Because at the end of the day god's real kingdom isn't in some worldly desert.

checked

braveheart is literally more historically accurate than kingdom of heaven

Strategically speaking Jerusalem is worthless. The land isn't great either. It's worth comes from the spiritual value.

this to be honest.
they didn't even fuck with jerusalem during the third crusade.
they were just interested in recapturing and securing the coastal trading cities.

>complains about Blacksmith's military prowess
When Qui-gon met Legolas in the beginning, he said he fought a number of battles, one lord against another, mentioned siegecraft, and was rather cynical about it
That's the justification they give in the movie

Saladin's cross scene was kino as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=H94MLf4-P2E

Crusaders could of conquer the whole middle-east if it wasn't for the Byzantine idiots crippling them.

Not really.

And according to legend Saladin did actually pick up a fallen cross and place it on the altar when walking through Jerusalem.

Almost every single complaint is a result of bad taste, not paying attention, or blowing a specific scene with specific goals into a nonsequitor about something else he thinks the movie is going for. He can barely into Veeky Forums, let alone /tv/.

>Muslims dindunuffin the movie

Trash

What movie are you talking about?