Roman coin found on Orkney

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-40606908

>Archaeologists are thrilled by the discovery of a Roman coin during the excavation of an archaeological site in Orkney

>believed to date from the mid 4th Century AD
>Archaeologists said the works of classical writers suggested the Romans were aware of Orkney, with the writers even making claims of an invasion, although archaeologists and historians believe this to have been unlikely

bretty interesting. Orkeny is an island far north of Scotland, by the way. Way beyond Hadrian's wall.
i am very fascinated by the extremities of the roman empire, such as hadrian's wall. also, did you know the romans had a trading port in india? Greek traders even settled in sri lanka during the early CE.
This sort of ancient and classical long distance travel really get my neurons firing. I remember reading once about celtic iron age miners traveling to china, probably bullshit but it really captivated me.
please tell me more.

Other urls found in this thread:

japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/05/national/history/research-uncovers-evidence-ancient-japan-cosmopolitan-previously-thought/
youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4
independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/a-meeting-of-civilisations-the-mystery-of-chinas-celtic-mummies-5330366.html
boards.Veeky
m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXWpQZF-VA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Coinage is usually made out of something valuable like gold so it has inherent value which means it can be used anywhere.
>did you know the romans had a trading port in india?
Citation please

This is actually incredibly uninteresting. Roman objects were imported as far as Finland.
Barbarian Europe had extensive and sophisticated trade networks, it wasn't just a bunch of savages grunting and chimping out randomly.

Who the fuck cares...

Did you guys know that a piece of shiny metal of which there are millions made it to an island a little bit north of where most of the other pieces usually are?

The presence of a coin proves nothing, it could have got there any number of ways, and might even be much later, maybe it was taken as a curio by a Viking centuries after the fall of Rome.

As cool as this is, it doesn't prove Romans were ever in Orkney, just that their coins made it that far. There were no "exchange rates" back then, people used whatever coins they could get as long as they were gold/silver.

That's how you end up with weird things like Chinese coins in Viking graves, for instance.

>This sort of ancient and classical long distance travel really get my neurons firing.
Maybe not quite classical but there were significant Persian or Iranian communities in China proper and in Korea perhaps as soon as the 7th century, by the 12th century for sure. Japan too apparently:
japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/05/national/history/research-uncovers-evidence-ancient-japan-cosmopolitan-previously-thought/

Much earlier, the Buddhist missionary An Shigao was traditionally believed to be Parthian though that was more of an isolated accident.

>This sort of ancient and classical long distance travel really get my neurons firing.

You'll probably like this lecture/book then: youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

They've found Roman coins in Iceland too, doesn't mean the Romans were there. It just means they were in circulation for centuries after the collapse of the Empire.

Really gets my neurons firing

independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/a-meeting-of-civilisations-the-mystery-of-chinas-celtic-mummies-5330366.html

>Solid as a warrior of the Caledonii tribe, the man's hair is reddish brown flecked with grey, framing high cheekbones, a long nose, full lips and a ginger beard. When he lived three thousand years ago, he stood six feet tall, and was buried wearing a red twill tunic and tartan leggings. He looks like a Bronze Age European. In fact, he's every inch a Celt. Even his DNA says so.

>But this is no early Celt from central Scotland. This is the mummified corpse of Cherchen Man, unearthed from the scorched sands of the Taklamakan Desert in the far-flung region of Xinjiang in western China

i never said it proved the romans were in orkney.
i find it interesting.
i used it to start a discussion about trade and travel in ancient and classical world.
thanks for letting me know what a smart bunch of obnoxious morons you are, though.
you sure showed me.

You find it interesting only because you don't understand anything about trade networks.

>Celts sack a Roman town
>Bring coin back

I'm the one who mentioned the Vikings. I wasn't trying to be rude. I just thought your third > in the OP meant you thought the Romans settled in Orkney. I like your post btw.

now that's what i call interesting.
i wonder if he was a first generation immigrant, or if entire communities of celts slowly moved east, over multiple generation, following trade routes whilst maintaining their culture and racial purity?

maybe this board will suit you more boards.Veeky Forums.org/b

here's his wife, who he was buried with.
salt mining was the the 'gold rush' for the celts. Austrian celts became ludicrously wealthy mining salt, and had extensive trade networks.

What the hell? Tarim mummies were not Celtic. They were Tocharian or Indo-Iranian, probably both. Celtic culture has origins in the Pontic-Caspian steppe just like Tocharians and Indo-Iranians of course.

>Barbarian Europe had extensive and sophisticated trade networks
This is what snowmonkeys actually believe

Watch this, OP and tell me what you think

>m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXWpQZF-VA

China got MICKED

would indo-iranians have blonde and red hair?
these people were clearly indo-european.
maybe they came via southern siberia but i really don't think they are indo-iranian.
i personally think there is a lot we underestimate about how much distances small groups may have moved around during the bronze age.
is it so fanciful to think people would have migrated such distances, following work?
we know people done it later, with barely improved technology. No improvements which could make travelling such distances any easier.

Why are you even here brainlet

>would indo-iranians have blonde and red hair?

Yes. Andronovo culture had blonde hair and blue eyes.
Tocharians were also Indo-European but an older branch like Hittites.

you are probably right.
i don't know much about this, i just like the idea.
i will look more into it.

>trade networks can't be interesting

I really wish they'd say Xinjiang is in Central Asia instead of China, especially when talking about the Tarim basin.

Imagine news stories in the 19th century saying they found great hindu temples in "eastern Britain" (Calcutta) or an uncontacted Eskimo tribe in "western Britain" (Newfoundland)
Or hell, just referring to Ireland as a part of Britain, which it officially was.