Be Lutheran

>be Lutheran
>accompany my Evangelist friend to his local mass

I finally understand why Catholics hate us. They didn't even have pews, just regular fucking chairs in rows. And for some reason they had group prayer to "heal" diseased people in the congregation, like they're all fucking saints or something, or that the prayer becomes "more powerful" when there's a bunch of you.

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6s2xPTCsSg8?t=30
youtu.be/IviOGt68ipk?t=109
youtube.com/watch?v=LzT3pRu2FkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think I speak for Veeky Forums when I say that nobody cares about your blog.

>or that the prayer becomes "more powerful" when there's a bunch of you
Protestants confirmed for Orks

Kek. They all believe they have apostle-tier faith to do stuff like healing people by praying. Also, speaking in tongues.

I wish they actually read the bible, in the original text or at least bible with linguistic analysis notes.

>Kek. They all believe they have apostle-tier faith to do stuff like healing people by praying. Also, speaking in tongues.

I actually got in a pretty heated argument with him over this. They all seem to believe they're apostles or something.

>I wish they actually read the bible, in the original text or at least bible with linguistic analysis notes.
I inquired about this as well, no big surprise when he hadn't.

>I wish they actually read the bible, in the original text or at least bible with linguistic analysis notes.
That would make them atheists

I am Brazilian and we have a lot of Evangelists here. There is a preacher who literally calls himself an apostle.

You speak for reddit.

I thought Brazilians were mainly Catholics?

Evangelists aren't protestant or even christian. They are cultists comparable to mormons.

This guy is kinda right, evangelicalism is The cancer feeding the progressive retards fuel against Christians

Can you explain further? I've only ever attended mainline Protestant and Catholic churches.

in the basilica of St. John Lateran they use folding chairs during services. what is your point

Brazilians are mainly communists now.

I've never understood the evangelical bullshit about every Christian being a saint. That is retarded.
The prayer stuff is hilarious as well, like God is dependent on humans proximity to each other to make prayer stronger or something.

Well I'm a Lutheran. Here's a Lutheran mass just to give you a quick idea:
youtu.be/6s2xPTCsSg8?t=30

We're protestants, but our tradition is actually quite a bit older than most other protestants, e.g. US ones.

This is a Pentacostalist mass, which is what I went to:
youtu.be/IviOGt68ipk?t=109

While the actual mass I experienced wasn't this extreme or upbeat, it had people stretching out their hands, singing songs that weren't even psalms, no sense of structure or tradition, and an extreme focus on a personal relationship with Jesus, without ever going in depth of what that means. It also had a large focus on group prayer for people who were ill, with prayers being written down and then read out loud for the group, after which the group would pray to God to heal the person.

Another thing that really ticked me off was that there was very little Bible reading. Instead of reading a couple of chapters the preacher would jump from book to book and chapter to chapter, and read maybe one or two verses, comment a little on them, and move on.

I could go on, but it felt like a very cultish "feel-good" church.

At least it's not as bad as the Pope kissing and washing feet.
Right?

>This is a Pentacostalist mass, which is what I went to:
>youtu.be/IviOGt68ipk?t=109

why

>youtube.com/watch?v=LzT3pRu2FkY
>500 Million
It's over, the forces of darkness are winning.

>youtu.be/IviOGt68ipk?t=109
That's both hilarious and a little concerning
> It also had a large focus on group prayer for people who were ill, with prayers being written down and then read out loud for the group, after which the group would pray to God to heal the person.
As a Catholic, we have something somewhat similar to this during Mass where dedicate a prayer for sick people and such, but always with the understanding that the prayer in and of itself wasn't going to heal the person directly. That'd be like going into the middle of a firefight and expecting Jesus to personally deflect bullets away from you or something. Prayer is NO substitute for medicine.

Americans ruin any and every concept they come in contact with.

>be evangelist
>you think your life duty is to inform people of the word of god like the dispicles before you
>people are surprised you have disciple powers m

bump

The sad thing is that this is many Americans only exposure to Christianity.
Kinda gives you a new perspective on where the edgy Atheist/skeptic movement came from.

It's one thing to ask for prayers and the intercession of saints on behalf of an ill loved one, it's quite another to think you're an apostle with healing powers.

I grew up in a former-Lutheran turned non-denominational church that was very traditional when it started out. Over the years it slowly grew more and more like a Joel Osteen type of church: massive expansion, new building, theater-style seats, giant video screens and expensive rock band equipment. I high-tailed it out of there as a teenager and found an Orthodox Presbyterian parish. The non-liberal Presbyterian churches are still hit-or-miss in terms of worship and liturgy though. I was fortunate to find one with a traditional Reformed liturgy but they didn't have their own building. Borrowing/renting space in other churches' buildings was still worth not having to put up with modern trends in American "Protestant" worship.

It might also be why I'm a more sympathetic, less-edgy atheist these days. Had I had to put up with charismatic/Pentecostal bullshit, I'd be angry too.

Um... Charismatic Catholics do that as well though.

I was raised as evangelical, attending services just like the video OP posted. I went to a Catholic mass a couple of years ago and was really weirded out. We were handed a paper than contained in full the message the priest was about the preach, and read the paper as he read aloud what was there.

It was literally a script, and the whole thing felt overall very robotic and rigid. There was no clapping, no hugging, no choreographers dancing to upbeat Christian music, no climatic ending and denouement to the preaching: all of a sudden it just ended and people began to clear out. And it was overall much shorter than a typical evangelical service that I was used to.

I was a bit unsettled by it, and all of these differences were accentuated by the culture here in Brazil where you're encouraged to not write things down, whether you're a preacher, a politician, businessman if you wrote down what you're saying and are reading it instead of it being something coming spontaneously from the heart in the heat of the moment, then it's disingenuous.