Veeky Forums Approved Books Thread

Any recommendations on books about Rome. I've heard from multiple people that Mary Beards "SPQR" is a meme book.

Any suggestions for a book or books that detail the battles of WWII? I've been reading pic related and it's quite interesting, basically a combat history of WWI.

What aspect of Rome are you interested in?

More of a general history I suppose. I just finished Anthony Everitts books on Cicero and Augustus and have read a bit of Seneca and Virgil. Any recommendations are welcome. :^)

Livy+Polybius+Suetonius

Personally really enjoying pic related right now.

Thanks lads!

For those of who have read the followin books please can you rate them for me:

George. Nicholas and Wilhelm

and Crown and country

I can rate the Romanov book very highly it was an amazing read and very informative. Would highly recommend

Adrian Goldsworthy makes fantastic books on the subject of Rome.

Another I liked was Empires and Barbarians by Peter Heather on the migration period.

I recommend The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius.

He's biased on some people but I find it fascinating to learn about stuff like how seriously omens were treated.

I enjoyed pic related. No idea if it's objectively good or impartial, but it gives a complete overview of Rome from a confluence of two trade routes all the way to Caesar.

>Historical fiction
>Fiction
Get out of here

Really enjoyed this one along with Great Military Blunders by the same author.

It's astonishing how many lives were pointlessly lost due to shitty command.

Ishmael is good.

Please recommend a good book on general US-American history. I'm looking for something fun to read, not a dry insipid chronology of events.

I got The Great Republic by Sir Winston Churchill but unfortunately, the way the volume is edited repels me.

American history

Honestly didn't know that was a thing, I'd instead recommend reading up on England, France's and Spain's history. Since those are the lads that colonised the land. If you want to give Alaska you read up on Russia too

I know this is a long shot but anybody have recommendations for books about dictators or kings that went absolutely bonkers and drove their countries into the shitter?

I'm not looking for Hitler or Mussolini but rather something like Haiti or the Central African Republic. I like to learn about when absolute power corrupts someone and no one dares to say anything.

What do you mean you didn't know American history was a thing?

It's just something frustrated people from shitholes like to say

Why would it be a meme book?

I suppose because it gets recommended all the time.

I enjoyed it but it tended to skip around a bunch.

What are some essential books for understanding the Cold War or certain parts of the Cold War (like the Korean War or Cuban Missile Crisis)?

I've The Cold War by John Lewis Gaddis. What else should I read?

Also, what should I read to learn about the Vietnam war?
What about the Cuban Missile Crisis?

I'll post a few charts.

Here's an extended one divided by Christian denomination.

A good book going into the eastern front in 1914

Literally the comfiest story I've ever read

Bumping this anons post, I'd like some literature on batshit insane third world kleptocrats

Yeah, but that one doesn't include much about Christian history.

Still a good chart for philosophy, fiction, and apologetics though

Side question because I don't know. I've been thinking about starting work on a History book, does anyone know how much these writers make/these books sell?

He's a butthurt faggot, is what he means.

pic related should be added to the chart

I'm finishing up The French Revolution from this chart and gonna read George, Nicholas, and Wilhelm.

I've read Bloodlands, Conquistador, and The Sleepwalkers from this chart and they have been excellent. On a different thread, I think the creator of the chart works in architecture funnily enough but was recommended these books throughout his time in Veeky Forums.

read about letter the great , he didn't ruin Russia but the absolute power is fascinating

I highly recommend 1491.