How many Atheists are superstitious?

I was talking to a friend yesterday and while he's very skeptical of religion, he still believes in ghosts and hell.

He says hell is just being here after you've died and being unable to move on.

I'm curious about the idea of an afterlife myself, though I'm aware the worst-case scenario is you just stop existing like before you were born.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Atheism-Secularity-Praeger-Perspectives-Volumes/dp/0313351813
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump.

None. Anybody that says they are atheist but believes in these primitive concepts are lying to you about being atheist. Being an atheist means you have evolved, you no longer grasp to those troglodyte concepts of spirits and sky daddies.

Reason, not faith

Praise science

Not subtle enough.

The truth shouldn't be subtle, or else people will flock to lies.

I would say, based on absolutely nothing other than my own observations in my day to day life, about 30%, if you accept the notion that anyone who doesn't adhere to a specific religion or outright believe in a god is atheist.

If you however mean hardcore "no there isn't a god, no chance, no way, there is 100% empirical evidence that there is no god in any sense of the word, you're just a stupid, uneducated, ignorent person who believes in a magical sky-man" atheists, then none.

why do atheists act like such pretentious cunts all the time and think that not having friends is a sign of their superior intellect

they're all literal anime villains

>Pretentious
Sorry I don't believe in things that rely on blind faith

>No friends
Ad hominem, shouldn't expect a logical argument I guess

They're bait posts user.

Atheist doesn't mean you reject organized religion, it means you reject the idea of a god at all, and with that usually entails the rejection of supernatural phenomena in general.

There are some eastern religions that dont really have a traditional god but still hold supernatural beliefs but that's kind of outside the scope of western atheism.

One of the many interesting articles in this publication describes a surprising percentage of Scandinavians(?) who identify as atheists, and who also hold supernatural beliefs.

amazon.com/Atheism-Secularity-Praeger-Perspectives-Volumes/dp/0313351813

i-i just want him to stop bullying me :, (

Cause real atheists don't spout it out every Goddamn second, so you will only ever hear about the tards

You're correct and I respect that. Anyone who claims you're a neckbeard is either a moron or a Marxist / neonazi seeking to destroy a good man out of fear.

*cough* pagans *cough*

Being an atheist literally means not being a theist. It doesn't mean you don't believe in nonsense.
Often the two will coincide, but its not a rule.

There's some research on autism and schizotypy and their relation to superstition. I suggest looking at it on google scholar.
Schizotypy is relevant here, which is related to but not the same as schizophrenia but does not have to be pathalogical, this is called schizotypy. Positive schizotypy is associated with a "leaky mind" seeing patterns and intentionality where there is none

One research that I wanted to share but can't find is that schizotypal people who are not religious still tend to believe in paranormal or are otherwise 'spirtual'

People with autism are more likely to not be superstitious at all, the opposite. Both autism and schizotypy are probably on a spectrum with normality in the middle, so certain individuals are predisposed for the likelihood of becoming more or less superstitious, or more or less spirtual or religious

Just those retards who are atheists because they are liberal and feel like they should be atheists since conservatives are religious, and not because they thought logically about the god question

He's calling himself an atheist because calling yourself a spiritualist will make people think you're a nutter.

I found the study: “Spiritual but not religious”: Cognition, schizotypy, and conversion in alternative beliefs

While I don't believe in intelligent design or a creator(s), I do believe that there is somewhere we go after we die. With that being said, I'm not totally closed off to the idea that there is a creator and I just really fucked up with my personal philosophy, nor am I 100% on the idea that there is something after death. Non-existence is most certainly a possibility, heck, there could be a God AND non-existence for all I know.

At the end of the day, I believe humans will never truly know the truth until they pass, and I feel it's rather fruitless to ruminate on the matter. No one could convince me that they've "seen God" or that there is a life after death if they had come back from the brink of life. Humans are prone to lying, especially when it's to further their personal beliefs. The moment I see something is when I will start giving more credence to the idea that there is a God. That being said, people should just believe what they want that gives them the most comfort, I don't fault anyone for having a religion, as their thought system is just as valid as mine considering no one has any real evidence of a God or evidence for the non-existence of God.

Atheisism only concerns itself with the existence of God/gods.

Supposedly it's been found that religious folk are ultimately less prone to superstition (luck, ghosts, etc.) than the non-religious because the former often already subscribe to a supernatural paradigm that precludes the existence of that stuff. With that being the case, I could see atheists as being more susceptible to superstition while rejecting the idea of God.

Every time I say I don't believe in religion, everyone labels me an atheist even though I believe there's a divine entity that created the universe.

I just don't want to worship it.

I personally agree. Never bought into the bible stories but trolls disguised as overgrown boulders, and mouintain kingdoms seemed believable pre-internet.

Certainly there are manifestations of our minds that we can collectively hallucinate or perceive that is unexplained using the scientific method. There are cultures around the world where populations both understand and know the macro-physics that make up being and the paradoxes that exists with life from conscience or life from unconsciousness. I think it is perfectly ok for the irreligious anons too have a multi-faceted opinion on the spiritual.

I too am an atheist, universe from big-bang, life from random chemical reactions user who also believes there may be a spirit realm or dimension just beyond the vale we cannot or can sometimes interact with.

Furthermore, any atheist who tells you they know the origins of the universe and the moral truths of our existence is both lying and not an atheist. Atheism/anti-deism does not mean anti-religious or anti-spiritual. That would truly be impossible to reconcile as the rigidity of objectiveness and doubt an atheist needs, in order to embrace this philosophy fully is set at a threshold far above an opinion or personal revelation.

Atheists of this board, I know you agree with me in part, dig deep. Atheism at its root is a philosophy that says gods or Gods did not create this world/universe/existence, there is no proof to truly discern that fact. We are our masters, we are our lords, we are our saviors, architects, demons, and angels. We man, the luckiest unlucky ape to inherit the personal responsibility of our existence as a species.

Good thread, I would agree in part with user's friends