Eras With Unfortunate Fashions

Which are eras (tied to their respective places) you view as having had unfortunate fashion trends? One of these for me would probably be the Tudor era of England. Very voluminous clothing that was overly top-heavy for men, and overly bottom-heavy for women. The proportions look very strange to me, but people even accentuated it with even more shoulder padding and width if they were wealthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/true-colors-17888/
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/03/cotton-and-brigandine-armour-of-ming.html
bowdoin.edu/mongol-scrolls/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's an example depicting King Henry VIII himself.

wat. i love tudor fashion. love henry's and anne boleyns clothes, it's just that henry was a fatass who couldn't pull it off

Fuck off m8, the Tudors were the best
I'd say that Roman fashion (except for military wear obvs) was the pretty bad though

I suppose Early Modern Ireland could be this depending on what your tastes are

looks comfy. if you are a man: just imagine how refreshing a toga would be, no more sweating at your butt and nuts, a refreshing wind of air between your legs, and you look pretty neat.

21st century americans

Are we restricting this to Europe or naw? If not, I have quite a few Asian ones to post namely the queue in Qing dynasty and most of medieval Japan.

Keep in mind that the Tudor period coincided with the Little Ice Age, so the extra fabric may be to keep warm, as well as show off wealth.

I thought that was earlier in the medieval period?

No, the little ice age began at the end of the medieval period and lasted until the 19th century.

This is what happens when you combine heat with a multi-racial society.

But user...all the people in that pick are white....

That paint is fake bullshit.

Why are 90% of all Historians subversive revisionist cunts trying to insult westerners at every turn?

That's a stay, not a corset.

It's stylish in a primitive sort of way

I find it hard to believe they dressed like that during the renaissance though. Like, are you sure it isn't early medieval or something?

So I always wondered this. When they're clothing with jewels seen in got dirty did hey wash it or just throw it out and make new ones? I would imagine that without modern dry clean technology, it would be hard to clean without messing up the jewel pattern.

Sorry that your bubble about how ancient Roman and Greek art looked was burst

smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/true-colors-17888/

Where's the turkey leg?

Both girls and boys wearing skinny jeans, I cant tell who's a lass or a guy.

The jewels would have been pinned on, so they could be taken out when the clothing was washed.

Ahh I see; thanks, user.

Nah earlier Irish dress was a bit plainer

It gets progressively more ridiculous until the 16th century but quickly starts to get plain again in the 17th

Women's court dress from about 1797-1810 or so was the bastard child of 1770s court gowns and late 18th/early 19th century fashion and by god, it showed. The high waists of the late 18th/early 19th century but the court panniers of the 1770s. Jesus.

That's because you're retarded.

This.

Wow what a pleb gtfo

May have been neither. French corsets didn't take off in England in the Tudor-era, but English stays weren't exactly super common either. That image looks more like this portrait of Elizabeth I where she's wearing a stiff kirtle.

The 1970's was shit tier

Don't be such a spaz, those threads are totally munga.

The Qing period looks to be the worst. What's confusing is how the Manchus had that style to begin with, amongst themselves out of free will, and then they imposed it upon the majority Han ethnic population of China after their conquest.

those pants are kind of reminiscent of knickerbocker breeches

>he believes this peddled bullshit
smdh

Now I want the ones on the left but slim fit. Just look at those lines.

pretty wizard

would wear the middle one

Minus the weapons and armour they still dress like this.

That's what I call a white-collar (job).

>early_travel_pillow.jpg

Is that why people wore all of those layers of clothes back then, from the shirts and breeches/trousers, to the waistcoats, to those thick looking coats?

How on Earth do you put on and remove those things? I'm glad the cravat replaced the ruff in the mid-late 1600s, though.

You tie them up (or button/hook them up) at the opening (usually at the back), how else?

Thats why this thread focuses on the worst fashion trends. The Japs seemed to do something similar at one point willingly too. Pic related

I always thought that hair style was badass, I remember watching old gangster movies from japan and alot of the time the thugs have hairstyles like this

The Qing/Manchu.

Everything they have is shit
>Hairstyle
Shit
>Elite outfits
Shit
>Women's outfits
Shit
>Common clothing
Shit
>Hats
Shit

The only thing that wasn't shit was the Armor. But it wasn't theirs to begin with since it was Ming-period Brigandine.

this one was plain retarded

except for the small detail that you're essentially wearing a giant thick ass sheet of wool wrapped around you

I'm not so sure Elizabeth is only wearing a kirtle because of how elongated that waistline is, but yeah stiff kirtles were more popular than stays or corsets in England up the Elizabethan era.

tbf that haircut had a practical use. Samurai cut their hair like that so helmets would fit better and their heads wouldn't get as hot.

The nobility adopted it and popularised it.

>Everything they have is shit
Eh, they were actually pretty Veeky Forums during the Republican Period, where Qing clothing was mixed with Western styles.

Sorry forgot my picture.

Republican China wasn't all Zhongshan Suits n shiet.

Contd. it was especially nice with women.

Cheongsam tops got rid of their fugly Manchu feminine trousers that traditionally came with it and replaced them with Western skirts. Which was a pretty cute ensemble.

>Hating some of the best fashions of the 19th century

>THIS DOESN'T FIT MY NARRATIVE IT CAN'T BE TRUE!!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Just go back to wherever you came from.

That's more of a high end thing. Regular-ass republican women wore something like this as per May 4th memes.

easy. the modern era. we no longer have clothes to signify class or function, instead we have denim jeans for everyone, androgyny, etc. individual instances of beauty do not make up for the general decline of propriety

then there's the ugliness. the slim fit modern suit is an atrocity, but it gets worse when you consider such monstrosities as the graphic tee. or the hugely widespread use of corrected grain leather...

it also doesn't help that some quality materials just cannot be obtained for a reasonable price because so few people are still making them due to high demand for cheaper imitation materials

cute

>it would look weird now therefore it's bad
how do you not think that looks wicked cool

you're forgetting another thing: they're more durable.

I got nothing against the pants, but the hair is just awful.

what is more durable than what?

disgusting

love the shits and hairstyles, the shoes and pants are garbage

>skinny jeans are disgusting
>ignoring that tight fitting leg wear for men has been fashionable for about 1000 years and changing the baggier trousers only happened following the Industrial Revolution.

Unironically this.

So let them be and they can get on with white people things.

More durable than what past centuries wore.

Reason why Denims became so popular is because they fucking lasted forever. Unlike the 19th Century regular ass woven cotton/linen trousers that just get torn up periodically in a year.

>triggered

It existed in Korea since the 1100s but I'm not sure if the Chinese had it as well.

Korean brigandine =/= Ming-Qing period Dingjia.

Koreans just had a brigandine jacket. the Dingjia consisted of a removable cuirasse, spaulders, and faulds.

So the other parts are plated as well?

Why is it like this

Pretty much.

But in the 1700s, when Chinese armies began to phase out armor due to the size of their armies plus efforts in putting metal to weapons manufacture (particularly matchlocks), the Chinese took out the metal plates on everything save the cuirass, making it essentially a Chinese version of the cuirassier's uniform of contemporary Europe.

They reconstructed the bottom layer and mention this, they don't claim to know how it really looked from their reconstruction because as of now that is still impossible.

Very Interesting. Have you been to Historum user? It's has like the only surviving Chinese history group.

>>>white

>Korean brigandine =/= Ming-Qing period Dingjia.
Dingjia is actually a misnomer,see greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/03/cotton-and-brigandine-armour-of-ming.html

The Ming had three different tailoring styles for textile based armors.

1.A sleeveless/cap sleeved,front opening waistcoat with auxiliary attachments. Can be worn as a standalone.
2.A sleeveless/cap sleeved,front opening surcoat/tabard of varying length. Typically used by mid-late Ming cavalry and phased out during the Qing.
3.A side opening form with armored sleeves,rarely used during the Ming. bowdoin.edu/mongol-scrolls/

>Koreans just had a brigandine jacket.
The Korean brigandine jacket had slightly longer sleeves(elbow length),otherwise it is identical to Ming forms.

The usage of two-piece brigandines is attested in Kukcho Oryeoi(國朝五禮儀) c1418-1450.

A modern day reconstruction.

This particular example is a Qianlong era reproduction of a Nurhaci's original,pictorial references can be found in Ping Fan De Sheng Tu Juan(平番得勝圖卷) c1574-1576

Cap sleeved versions can be found in Departure Herald(出警圖) or Return Clearing(入蹕圖),which experts date to either the Jiajing or Wanli Emperors.

A Korean "brigandine jacket" for anyone that's wondering. The Ming/Qing/Joseon Koreans were heavily influenced by Mongolian aesthetics.

the paint aint fake, but it's almost certainly only a bottom layer. They'd add more layers to darken it and give it more depth and bring out highlights

I don't buy it. The helmets they used had straps. Also why didn't Europeans adopt this too if it was so useful at keeping helpful at keeping the head cool and not fall off?

Wtf are you taking about?

Why do you keep posting this in each thread that mentions samurai? Are you autistic?

they wore tights with pants over them, not jeans

That resembles that Ming scale armor with similar arm guards.

That scarf makes this guy look like a martial arts film protagonist.

Many martial arts films were set in the Post-Qing-Republican Period.

the Drunken Master films, IIRC.

A good thing, considering how much cloth there is in the outfit to billow and flutter dramatically in the wind while having sleeves tight enough to roll up for a fight.

Naw, looks pretty retarded desu. Why not just shave the entire head if what user says is trueThey just look like they all developed male pattern baldness with receding hairline lines.

That looks like "JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP" feudal Japan edition.

>Some of them aren't wearing socks with their shoes.
What the fuck bros?

19th century Scotland

Imagine how long it took to put all this shit on

Americans wearing socks & sandals > Americans not wearing socks with their shoes.

By far the ultimate atrocity Americans done on casual attire.

And those fucking beards...

Youre thinking of late 18th century Scotland. After the final Jacobite rebellion highland culture (and kilts) were banned.

Source: I'm a time traveller.

I know plebs like you are used to cladding yourself in polyester and other such crap, but genuine wool is very breathable and can be made quite breezy.

And the look is essentially the same, so why hate one but not the othere?

the first word that comes to mind when I look at this pictures is "ponces"

that's more a german thing