/mapgen/

There aren't any map threads on Veeky Forums anymore. You can't learn history without learning geography.

I'm going to dump some maps, please contribute because I don't have enough.

Pic related, an autist's map of endonyms.

Other urls found in this thread:

mystudentvoices.com/us-social-fragmentation-a0e7586c9180
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've seen a lot of retarded maps of Europe on the chans but this one comes closest to fixing everything.

This one comes from Martin Lewis, who writes good stuff over at geocurrents.

I like these maps from Peter Zeihan because they show where civilizations tend to spring up just by looking at land quality.

This one's pretty neat, although it gets pretty stupid around Southeast Asia and the Caribbean.

Forget where I got this one from but there are a lot of old cities on here I'd never heard of before.

Language families

Pretty good ethnolinguistic from Africa, though it's a bit dated.

Chinese language dialects

Another language map, this one of Russia, have a lot of these

Good pair of maps, much easier to understand China when you realize how concentrated everyone is near the coast and isolated on all sides

The US has more interconnected navigable waterways than any other country on Earth, which goes a long way to explaining its economic dominance.

Forgot I had this one, better if you can view each frame separately instead of all at once.

Not shown are all the waterways linking the Great Lakes to the Mississippi, such as the Chicago portages.

This is where you get your cocaine from.

This one's pretty neat I think, if you get over the garish colors.

Last map for the moment, if anyone's interested I can post some more later.

>map of endonyms
>KINGDOM yet konungariket
>EMPIRE yet imperium
>REPUBLIC yet republique
Jesus christ user, that map triggers my autism something fierce.
Also what's the criteria for a polity to be placed on the map anyway?

It's such a weird map, isn't it great?

I have no idea how they selected units. Somehow it has the Kingdom of Tavolara, a self-proclaimed microstate of a few families off Sardinia (107 on the map). Meanwhile, entities that haven't existed for millennia exist in Banu Ghassan and Banu Lakhm (the Ghassanids and Lakhmids of the Byzantine-Persian era) are included while Caliphal names for those lands are excluded. I think the map is trying to use endonyms for places that were (or claimed to be) independent. Though by that standard there are so many omissions in Europe I have no idea how they decided.

bump

>Switzland literally a wall between Germany and France
>Butthurtabalta
>Ireland

It's just a map made by someone on Veeky Forums.
This thread hasn't started off on a very good note seeing how it's mostly really small maps and /int/ shitposting material so here's something to fix that.

>the Rio Grande keeps giving up our territory to Mexico towards the end

Typical.

Dialects

Another

Climates

>isn't it great?
it's not, it's a piece of shit and the guy who made it should be put in a bag and beaten with sticks

They were only useful during the early colonial periods. A shitload of arable land and natural resources is the cause

Oh shit you could can like, get to Chicago by ferry?

This is from Yaneer Bar-Yam, see here:
mystudentvoices.com/us-social-fragmentation-a0e7586c9180

>This is from Yaneer Bar-Yam
He is a complexity scientist in case anyone wonders

This map is glorious

>Countries owning other territories than their own and countries having more than one nation and insurgencies as well as uninhabited countries..
Are geopolitical anomalies

>Cucuteni-Trypillian culture's large collection of huts constitute a city

I think I'll follow the advise of archeologists and not call them cities