Scotland and the British Empire

To what extent did Scotland participate in the British Empire?

Would it be inaccurate to call them an English colony?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Enlightenment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution_in_Scotland
allthingsliberty.com/2013/10/scotland-american-revolution/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgian-dubh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Would it be inaccurate to call them an English colony?

Lowlands no, Highlands yes.

it's called a personal union, they are two countries united by a single monarch(and in this case also parliament) so they act as one single country

the best comparison is poland-lithuania, the lithuanian monarch inherited the throne of poland and lithania became a junior partner in a personal union with poland and polish was the dominant language and everyone called the union just poland

another example is hungary-croatia

austria-hungary is a bit of a different scenario as hungary had it's own parliament whereas the parliaments of england and scotland were merged ~1700ad

They made good colonialists.

Scotland actually formed a personal union over England, so in actuality you could consider England a Scottish colony.

The Scots were heavily involved in the empire and a lot of the leading lights in the colonial services were scotsmen

England's cannon fodder

As much so as every man from the countryside was London's cannon fodder.

Considering the King ruled from London, and that the England ended up influencing Scotland more than the reverse, with the modern kilt even being invented by an English industrialist, I'd suggest that may not be the best way to represent the situation.

So far as I know, Scotland didn't get colonized by the English insofar as migration so, no. There was also no significant extraction of resources like with Ireland. Doesn't really meet the qualifications.

As for participating in the British Empire, after the Act of Union, yes. The Scots were significant contributors to the empire after their Darien scheme ruined the country's finances.

Disproportionate amount of scots died

In what? And you need a source.

The nobility of Scotland and England were equal

Scots were over-represented in the officer corp, extremely so in the EIC. Men like Hume and Adam Smith really helped do away with the notion that they were knuckle dragging porridge wogs.
Jacobite clans aside, the Scottish nobility had more of an appetite for union with England than their English counterparts believe it or not. That's an odd situation to describe as colonial.
Of-course England was the dominant power in GB (and thus in this relationship) but you'd have to be a real bleeding heart nationalist to harbor the delusion that the relationship was an exploitative one.

God Scotmen were fucking perverts, no wonder they use skirts, it makes for faster fucking.

Ireland was a colony, but Scotland was a true partner in a union

So, it was an willing union? I thought they were forced into doing it, why all the anti union sentiment now?

How were the scottish treated in Britain compared to the irish?

Scotland bankrupted themselves trying to get into the colonisation game. Although it was likely pressured by England, it was still willing. England never used any kind of military action to force the union.

I see, how do you think a scotland colony would go?

Probably just like Ireland.
Be a dick, ban anything that interferes with English trade, let companies mine the hills for English factories.
1 or 2 centuries later a bunch of Republicans start bombing police stations and bars

Scotland was the junior partner.

>with the modern kilt even being invented by an English industrialist
"Invented" is an incredibly strong word, considering he just cut it in half.

Nigga, Scotland built the empire.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Enlightenment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution_in_Scotland

Scots are African-Tier subhumans who would be eating each other and shit in front of their mud huts without English guidance.

How does a Kilt works? All I see is some weird ass Toga

Given the massive role of Scots in the British Empire, does anyone find it hypocritical how they pass themselves off as the first victims of Empire and try to portray the English as irredeemable, subhuman-like villains like the Germans?

>you missed the age of colonization where you could go to far off exotic locales and fuck loads of native women
Sad!

"Great kilts" as they're now known are pretty similar to a toga. In essence they're a sheet of fabric that's wrapped around your body.

In fashion terms, they would "pleat" it behind their waist as they wrapped, making a skirt, and the top half would be used as a cloak. If you were rich or had sponsors, you had a nice jacket and accoutrements, so you would wear it like in that picture. If you were poor, you didn't have anything else, so you wrapped it around your whole body.

The Englishman in question was watching a highland blacksmith and suggested getting rid of the "top" half and just wearing a jacket because the guy kept getting the remainder trapped.

Actually what is in the picture isn't a proper great kilt, the top half is separate from the bottom.

source: I wore many kilts for work

The earliest kilts were full-body wrappings a bit like a toga. Part of the appeal was you could wear them in a bunch of different ways depending on the weather.

Later kilts were stylistically similar to the earlier "great kilt" but made of two separate pieces instead of being a full wrap.

Modern kilts are basically just skirts, quite simple and easy to wear.

I see, sounds interesting, but can you use kilt with pants? I can't get over the exposed knees, why not longer socks or longer skirts?
What up with the boot-knife?

>I see, sounds interesting, but can you use kilt with pants?
Given some of the stuff i've seen in eastern europe, like folk costumes, or rus pants, or that stuff the dacians wore, i think some loose pants would make a comfy outfit.

The knife was for originally for dinner and other utilitarian uses.. I forget it's Gaelic name. It's basically the same thing as hillbillies having a buck knife strapped to their hips, but formalized.

They're actually very warm. The military had "trews" which are basically pants in tartan (they look like pajamas, and in fact at least one Highland regiment only wore them) which they wore in frigid weather.

I'm sure that the early modern highlanders wore trousers underneath at points, but for most of the year it's fine.

Having worn one for so long, I really cannot stress how fucking awesome it is having your balls free all day. I highly recommend trying it sometime.

Of historical interest, a major factor in the kilt's widespread national significance was King George IV's visit in 1824 (? not sure exacltly), and he wore fucking pink tights underneath, the faggot

Oh, thats interesting, not really complaining but why in the socks instead of the hips were it would be easier to reach?

[spoiler]I don't have balls user, sorry.

It would be completely wrong to call Scotland a colony. They were in a personal union under England but where willing and happy with the arrangement. It was first a Scottish king that inherited both thrones once Lizzy the 1st died.

It wouldn't be correct to say England were the junior partner despite England being inherited by the Scottish king as England was where the Monarch resided and generally speaking the decisions made by the monarch and parliament were in the interests of Britain and not just England

>OOH AII ITSANOTHA SHOAH LADDEH
im glad i dont live in britain i would hate having to deal with you haggis munchets

It used to be concealed in a sheath near the armpit but when entering someone's home and surrendering your weapons it would be worn in the sock instead. As time went on the ceremonial position became the normal position.

Oh, thats sounds smart.

This user is pretty much on target. Scotland benefited greatly from the personal union and took every advantage of the Empire. Scottish footprints can be seen in colonies all over the world, thanks to the infrastructure of the British Empire that they helped to expand. Not too shabby for a formerly backwater culture from the far reaches of northern Europe.

allthingsliberty.com/2013/10/scotland-american-revolution/

I think mostly because it looks good, desu. Once you get past the period where it was a practical piece of clothing, the entire thing is just meant to look good.

Practically speaking, it's not too much of a hassle to bend down and grab it out of your sock anyways. I wasn't a piper (they wore the full kit) but I noticed they could get it out faster than I could the bayonet on my hip. Remember that in this case the sock (technically it's a half hose) comes up almost to your kneecap.

btw this is what it's actually called

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgian-dubh

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

>attempt to start an empire
>spend 50% of our countries wealth sending colonists to Panama
>forget to bring basic necessities like food
>everyone starves or dies of illness
>country is now bankrupt
>gibs us money england m8
>stuck in union for 300 years