Stuff in vidya games, inspired from historical things

Stuff in vidya games, inspired from historical things.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hand_(Serbia)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLqktDBIew8
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Maribor
sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's incredible how shitty even the Dark Brotherhood became within a single sequel.

Can you elaborate? Why are you bothering to post if you can't be bothered to actually discuss your point or at least document it.

Post stuff from vidya, that has inspiration from history.
I didn't make any point and there's nothing to discuss, since the only post here is of that user, complaining about Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood questline, which wasn't the point of the thread in the first place.
Rather than complain, post something.

Is the tribunal from morrowind inspired by any real history / mythology?
Y'know, people declaring themseves gods and stuff

>reee dont call my post stupid make my thread good for me

He wants you to explain the relationship between the vidya stuff you posted and the historical inspiration (the black hand I guess). I want that too.

Ah, I see. Well, Black Hand or Unification or Death was a serbian group before first world war in Balkans. They aimed to uniting the south Slavs under one kingdom, which wouldn't be neither Serbia nor Montenegro. They carried out terrorist actions, leaving the black hand print on the scene.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hand_(Serbia)

The Wild Hunt is actually a real life myth

Yup. The Wild Hunt is a German myth, if I'm not mistaken and then it was taken by Slavic nations as well.
It goes something like this, that from November till February Wild Hunt, which is basically different spirits, hunts in the forest and if you go there to hunt at that time, they'll kill you for treading on their hunting grounds.
At least I think it goes something like this.
Basically, the myth tries to keep people out of the forest during the dark, winter's nights.
Also, Witcher series is full of different myths from different folklores.
Here, a picture of Geralt wearing an armor that was clearly inspired by Slovenian national clothing.

Both replies have covered my point precisely which should tell you something. Document document document.

Oh you did. :).
Let's hope the you-know-whos don't break into this thread. ('Jinxing' is a pagan concept I refuse to extend)

Didn't see any of that in Skyrim

Well, you probably saw the black hand print, right?

Real life his stuff from Witcher. The song Steel is for humans or Lazare which plays during battles in Crookback bog is actually a traditional Bulgarian song from 14-16th century and it's quite funny listening to it while slaughtering drowners because it's actually a marital song.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLqktDBIew8

Lyrics go as follows

Oy Lazare, Lazare

Here they’ve told us

First we’ve come here

We’ve found a girl for the boy

Wed the girl

Wed the boy

Rejoice, rejoice

Rejoice householder

How many leaves in the forest

That many health in the home

And that's it? A fucking black hand? Nice "inspiration".

There was another Black Hand that fits this even better. During the second world war, an organisation was formed in occupied Slovenia that called itself the Black hand - do note that it had no connection to the Serbian organisation except by borrowing the name. It was an anti-Communist, Catholic organisation. They mostly targeted communists, members of the Liberation front movement but allegedly they also killed for money on several occasions. Apparently they were even paid by nazi officials or Gestapo agents to kill other nazi officials but I only read about this in a single source. They marked homes of Liberation front activists with a black hand and left black hand marks after killing the activists.
>pic related

Witcher has a killer score. Loving how they use national songs, with proper instrumentals in background.
Well, black hand print of Dark Brotherhood and the real Black Hand is both connected with murders, assassinations and secrecy, so yeah, I think its pretty fucking nice inspiration.

Oh, damn, right! I had this one in the mind at first, but I went to check the web to be sure. Not finding this one I wrote about the first one.
This one is even closer an inspiration to the game's black hand, than the Serbian one.
There is a book about it as well. I think its titled ˝Black Hand˝ or ˝Črna roka˝ in original language, right?

I haven't come across any book but a quick search shows there's a book called "Po sledovih Črne roke" (which would translate something like "On the Black hand's track").

I found another claim that they existed into the 50s (until 1955) and continued with assassinations as well as factory sabotage. Again, can't find any source to back this up.

That must be it. I remember hearing about that book when I was little, but never had the pleasure of reading it myself. I have to hit the library for it soon.

Also, wasn't their big ship inspired by old norse mythology? I think I remember a ship with a similar name made of nails on which an army would arrive in Valhalla during Ragnarök.

Naglfar Is the ship, however the end of the world is Ragh naar Rook in the game

The WIld Hunt has a big ship? The real one I mean.
Didn't know of that. That's pretty neat!
I was always wondering of how the people that believed in the hunt imagined it, running over the sky. Perhaps a ship sailing through the storm clouds would make more sense in the mind of the medieval peasant, although, nothing really made any sense in their mind back then...

I was referring to the in-game wild hunt. I don't know so much about the mythical one.
Oh right! I had forgot that. It was super long since I played the game.

The "real one" doesn't. They mixed the legends of Ragnarok and the Wild Hunt for the game.

I'm sure that everyone was already aware of that. Twisting existing myths and fairytales is one of the most defining aspects of the Witcher franchise.

I don't know much about the Witcher series but another little thing caught my attention.
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Maribor

Oh, I see. And with ˝the real one˝ I mean the real world myth, of course.
Also, thanks for spoiling the rest of the game for me, bastards... Although its my fault making this thread in the first place.

>Y'know, people declaring themseves gods and stuff
roman emperors loved to do that
read a bit about commodus autism

Yup. Both Maribor and Novigrad have their real word's counterparts.

I came across the Wild hunt in a text a while back. Maybe someone will be interested in some Slavic lore, mythology, history, etc: sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html

Anyway, the Wild hunt was said to be a horrible mess of monsters, animals, etc. that would wander the woods. They would never actively go after anyone but would attack anyone who wandered in their sight. As soon as one heard the cries of the Wild hunt, he had to either run or lie on the ground on the right side of the path and look down so as not too look at the passing Wild hunt and thus stay safe.
Apparently, people would cut crosses into tree stumps by roads and these were also there so that people could protect themselves from the Wild hunt. Still, anyone who was caught by the Wild hunt and looked away would - albeit surviving - get his or her back cut up horribly as a warning.

Apart from the Witcher series, the Wild hunt can also be found in the Elder Scrolls series, where the Bosmer (the Wood Elves) can transform into it in times of need but then they can never turn back, remaining horrible creatures.

They copied it from hellenic monarchs who loved to misunderstand eastern kingship in order to feed their egos.

One of the best hidden things is this- the weapon you are seing is said to be a gift from Ofeir (equivalent to the Ottomans and middle eastern cultures) to a Redenian ( pretty much Poland even down to the coat of arms) noble. The interesting bit is that if you look closely that's 100% a Polish-Hungarian saber, which in real life was indeed styled after middle eastern Sabres.

Thanks for that link, I'll have to have a look at those articles soon.

Detail in The Witcher series is what does it for me.
Its incredible how much of the historical and ethnological stuff they managed to tastefully cram into the series.

It actually is a historical reference. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure the guy who assassinated that one archduke that started WWI was part of a group called The Black Hand. So it's kinda a reference to them when a bunch of assassins send you a letter with a black hand.

In Civ V, a lot of the civilizations and leaders are actually based off real, historical civilizations and leaders.

I already elaborated plus this guy added something else to ponder about.
Actually, Black hand was somewhat involved in assassination of the archduke, but the prominent role in that murder had another terrorist organization, named Young Bosnia.

It's incredible how people think it was ever good to begin with

Wow, I've never noticed that. Did you know that EU4 and Crusader kings 2 are also based of real life kingdoms?

Iron Storm's Baron Ugenberg = Baron von Ungern-Sternberg

>Whos the assassin?
>Just look for the guy with black ink on his hand

Let me blow your guys' mind.
Do you know that Hearts of Iron game series, well, it features fucking real life countries and super power, during the second world war?!
How cool of a fucking fact is this?!?!one1

It was already shitty in Oblivion. Some of the quests were good but the faction itself was pretty gay.

The Brotherhood questline was fantastic in Oblivion.
>That moment when you find at flayed Lucien
The Skyrim Brotherhood was pussy shit compared to Oblivion.

Tribunal is roughly based on the Trimurti.

t. mathieu

Vivec was inspired by Ardhanarishvara.

He was a good-two-shoe who never murdered anyone.

This. Don't know why I didn't recognize it. Kinda waiting till I'm older to read up on the world wars to be frank.

Dark Brotherhood has nothing to do with the Serbian Black Hand, they're based on the Thugee cult, a cabal of religiously motivated murderers from India who worshiped a personification of death, and whose symbol was a black hand.

The Slovene Black hand left notes with the black hand symbol and they marked their victims' homes with it too so there's definitely a great similarity.

Where they religiously motivated? Where they a cabal devoted solely to murder? Did they refer to themselves as "Dark Brothers"?

It doesn't have to be a single influence, you know.

Sure, but since the Thugee are a near perfect match and since McBride is obviously a huge Indaboo, it makes no sense to cite other possible influences that are such a poor fit.

But apart from the Dark Brotherhood not being an anti-communist organisation, everything else fits. But sure, what are the chances of people from an American studio knowing about the organisation. Still, it seems a bit too similar to be a coincidence.

Yeah, no. The ONLY thing they have in common is the term "black hand", that's IT. The Thugees were death worshippers who carried out murders for hire, they called themselves "dark brothers" and used the black hand of Kali as their symbol. Meanwhile, the Serbian Black Hand did not call themselves "dark brothers", did not carry out murders for hire, were not religiously motivated, and certainly didn't worship death. The faction in TES, which does not call itself "black hand", is clearly and unambiguously NOT based on the Serbian black hand, who were a politically motivated terrorist group and not primarily murderers and who have ONLY the coincidence of having as their name one of the symbols of the Thugee, but on the Thugee "dark brothers" who fit, IN EVERY SINGLE DETAIL, the profile of the game faction.

I wasn't talking about the Serbian organisation but of the Slovene one, I thought I made it clear.

sure is summer in here.

You can spot the summer threads from mile away. Usually a question that can easily be answered via research, or a request to start listing off talking points for them, or fishing for some obscure event that you can impress your friends with, or one of those famous historical figures popularity contests, or some "vs" thread, etc.

I wish you idiots would stop making threads and maybe just fucking lurk for once. If you have absolutely nothing to contribute you shouldnt be the OP, this isnt yahoo answers

Witcher 3 beats Elder Scrolls series hands down.

Geralt is my waifu.

Not OP or vidya fan, but honestly these threads are much better than another holocaust denial, WE WUZ, or various other Veeky Forums is made of a bunch of SJW cuck threads.

They based the design on this old polish movie which is also based on the tale of pan twardowski.