23 official languages

> 23 official languages
Why India exists instead of collapsing due to the severe case of multi-nationalism that supposedly never ever works?

Strong goverment, and a Hindi dominated state

Give it some time.

Many of those languages are quite similar, kind of like Spanish and Catalan. So even if they are different "languages", they can understand each other if they speak slow enough.

Obviously that doesn't always apply, especially when one language is Indo-Aryan and another is Dravidian.

>severe case of multi-nationalism that supposedly never ever works
Is this seriously what Veeky Forums thinks?

They only need to go look at places like Sri Lanka and Hong Kong to see how well the 'One Country, One Language' model is working out. Force one model, the other minorities start push back and eventually they may even ask to leave if they have a choice between losing their language and culture or going it out on their own and at least preserving it.

At the same time though I will concede that more often then not, top-down mono-lingualism has worked out better then expected. Barely anyone in Scotland or Wales can speak their old Celtic languages and the separatist movement there aren't strong. Scots voted to stay.

The Okinawans were used as human shields and their language was suppressed and barely anyone of them want to re-create the Ryukyu state.

Central government is pretty weak so the states are virtually autonomous which curbs any desire to secede

Why did you feel the urge to pontificate on matters of which you know so little? You're just taking something you probably heard about Romance languages and assume it's the same thing with languages that emerged in radically different fashions. There are only a few cases where what you said is true.

Because they use English as common tongue other than Hindi. Also they do have insurgent issues but Western MSM just seldom report them.

Not really.

Indian gov is pretty ineffective and weak. Hindi does not dominate in the southern regions.

The main reason is historical connection and ties as a culture. Religion is a factor. Struggle against the British and the Muslim is a factor. Historical Mauryan empire was a factor as well. The fact that India chooses its national symbols are chosen for peace instead of war. The Lion is a symbol for Ashoka's conviction in his faith (Buddhism). Respect for peace and maintenance of peace is understood as common grounds.

>the separatist movement there aren't strong.
>Scots voted to stay.
It was 45% against 55%. I wouldn't call that "not strong".

>Western MSM

> national symbols are chosen for peace instead of war
Can you elaborate here? I never noticed that about their symbols.

HK is not good example since it's been colonized by British for nearly 150 years.

>barely anyone of them want to re-create the Ryukyu state
There are still around 30% Okinawans want independent. But language is not the main factor.

>Many of those languages are quite similar, kind of like Spanish and Catalan.

I wish this was true. I really do. I can understand Konkani but not Hindi or Marathi. Although I've noticed some words, (emphasis on some) of konkani share similarities with Marathi, most of the words are completely different, and you have to learn a completely new language essentially.

>The flag
Orange/White/Green color + Wheel. Orange = renunciation of the worldly material goods, White = symbol for peace, Green = truth. Wheel is in center of white signifying constant pursuit of peace.

>Four headed lion on top of Horse and Wheel
Its from Ashoka's pillars. 4lions = spreading dharma/law in all direction. 4lions = 4NobleTruths(buddhism), etc. This symbol is used conjunction with the spread of truth.

>Lotus
Symbol for truth rising above the mud, untainted.

etc

They are all linked with their past both culturally and religiously.

Same reason all the made up African nations have not collapsed and retain the same since independence. Except with more reasons to stay together (still not enough for euro standards, of course). Also the apparently the indian states have a massive degree of autonomy, so playing stupid independence is probably not worth it. Nations want independence when their culture, economy or security is threatened by the central state and it's not the case.

Quite a few of the nations of Africa has collapsed and was rebuilt over. Some of countries are still in perpetual war and chaos.

Rwanda for example was completely rebuilt just two decades ago after the genocide.

Your argument is based on ignorance.

This. The corruption is absurdly high because of the sectarian divides.

It was obvious that OP was talking about balkanization. The only african country that comes to my mind that has lost territory to secessionists is Sudan.

Hong Kong fits into the paradigm very well.

Their concern is whether their 'culture' can survive against the CCP that rules 1 billion Chinese. By culture that includes the institutions they gained from Britain like freedom of speech and freedom of assembly on top of Cantonese, a minority language in China. There are increasing concerns over Cantonese being spaced out by Mandarin only.

Consequently, it's another example of a minority group wanting to separate because it's language being threatened by the mono-lingual policies of the center.

OP never implied balkanization. OP stated "collapse". Of which balkanization is one such scenario. Other collapse include regional conflicts, economy collapse, massive civil wars, etc. Balkanization is usually the result/after these events. Pakistan/India divide happened early on. This was due to Muslisms "fearing" India would suppress Muslim freedom of religion. More accurately freedom to presecute and forcibly convert and kill non-muslims.