I heard he was punished. What was his crime?

I heard he was punished. What was his crime?

Other urls found in this thread:

africaunlimited.com/blog/was-socrates-black/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Apology

Imagine if he had a debate with Molyneux. Truly some philosophy kino.

Being white

>I heard he was punished. What was his crime?

Being an atheist in public.
Questioning Athens' gods out loud was seen as corruption of the youth, and he was sentenced to death for it.

>What was his crime?
corrupting the youth
that meant he fiddled with their brains instead of with their dick and that was NOT OK

Wew lad, weren't greeks supposed to be super civilized and shit? That's taliban tier.

>instead of with their dick
No, ALONG with with their dick

was it autism?

Only barbarians deny the Divine.

that's democracy for you ;^)

I think people sometimes forget how small a portion of soceity was actually educated, to any degree, in ancient times and how loose the glue could be that help civilization together and kept things from collapsing into completely uncultured barbarism. For the average person, for most of human history, the thing that checked their worst impluses was fear of the Judgement of the Gods (singular in more recent eras)

>Also this.

Don't forget that he also openly criticized the democracy and everyone was scared outta there wits of tyrants.

I once had to argue with a troll on wshh about this picture. He used this as proof that the greeks were really black, because of the nose.

child molester

Beings a nigger in Greece.

africaunlimited.com/blog/was-socrates-black/

Real niggas know the truth.

It's true. He got lynched because he was African-American

It also didn't help that one of his students became a leader of The Thirty Tyrants

He wasn't an Atheist, and another of his crimes was introducing new Gods.
He was killed because he was seditious.

Imagine if he lived in modern times.

Remember that the true school of Socrates was Cynicism. Antisthenes was his closest follower, and he himself in Platon professes the value of morality and virtue above all else, the core tenets of Cynicism.
The Socrates of Platon, AKA not /my guy/ was mostly a puppet for Platon's own metaphysics.
Believe NO PLATONIC LIES.

TRUE HOLY TRINITY=SOCRATES, ANTISTHENES, & DIOGENES

blasphemy, corrupting the youth, and making the weaker argument into the stronger

Being ugly

>Being an atheist in public.
Dude was likely monotheistic, he just didn't like the gods of the city.

Socrates was punished during the reign of a revolutionary democratic government, that had just usurped the government of the 30 tyrants which had been imposed on Athens by Sparta after the war. Due to personal connections with some of the deposed tyrannical oligarchs, he was under public suspicion. Socrates new ideas, especially his questioning of the nature of the gods, was too much for the ideologically shaken postwar Athenians to bear.

Socrates' philosophy was in large measure directly contrary to the sophists, he had been active in his teaching throughout the war, and was gaining ground especially with the youth. Those sophists believed in democracy, and through democracy the implied ideas of Athenian and Ionian supremacy that had fueled the war. Socrates, being against democracy, was an enemy of the revolution, he was still a very famous man however, and they would not have executed him had he done anything at all to avoid that fate. He could have easily gotten himself sentenced to exile like many others had been before him, he chose to be executed because he believed in the laws and the state, and wanted to make a point.