The Confederates came this close to winning the civil war

>The Confederates came this close to winning the civil war.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malvern_Hill

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chickamauga
theonion.com/article/civil-war-enthusiasts-burn-atlanta-to-ground-1109
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malvern_Hill
youtube.com/watch?v=V2RUfDt-veI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We could have won many times. All we had to do was survive and not get burnt to 'win.' ;_;

I still think Chickamauga was the closest chance the south had to actually win the war.
>knock out Rosecran and prevent Thomas from escaping by taking the passes
>entire northern invasion of Atlanta is delayed
>Lincoln has an extremely tight election and might even lose.
>Copperheads negotiate peace with the North.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chickamauga

Reminder; conservatives fear the big government because of the civil war and their slaves.

>we
WE WUZ RACISTS AND SHEEEIT

>be me
>grow up near Henrico County, Virginia
>Be Sons of Confederate Veteransfag
>used to attend reenactments all over the state when I lived there
>realize the Diary of Anne Frank was published on the exact same day the Seven Days Battles (mainly took place in and around Henrico County just outside Richmond) with began in 1862
>Robert E. Lee successfully repulsed McClellan's advance on Richmond and gave chase, but was stopped at Glendale and Malvern Hill and thus were unable to prevent the Army of Potomac from retreating back across the James River
>one of several missed opportunities for Lee to destroy the Union Army in open battle and win the war
>Union victory in the American Civil War marked the beginning of increasingly aggressive U.S. expansionism that ultimately culminated in the World Wars and the rise of the Superpowers
>rise of the Soviet Union, the Nazis, and the human tragedy that followed is in part the blowback of American meddling in the First World War
>if the Army of Northern Virginia had broken through at Malvern Hill and destroyed McClellan's forces while they were still trapped on the banks of the James, Lee would've been free to move against Washington and could've forced Lincoln to sue for peace
>realize the entire tragic chain of events over the course of 83 years that led to the World Wars, the rise of the Nazis, the Holocaust, and Anne Frank's death could've been prevented at least partially or in their entirety
>Anne could've been a happy wife and mother, enjoying a peaceful life in Amsterdam, if only Lee's plans had been properly coordinated and executed in the last days of June, 1862

My God... We failed her.

>Reminder; conservatives fear the big government because of the civil war and their slaves.
>what is the Nullification Crisis
>who is Thomas Jefferson

this shit again? *yawn*

Yes, because Veeky Forums needs another daily reminder that American foreign policy was a mistake.

>tfw you will never see a free Dixie

Why did the Yankees have to end it dixiebros

Can't afford someone challenging the legitimacy of your centralized government when you're planning world domination.

Because they needed the mighty Mississippi

confederates had no chance, just as the germans had no chance.

I unironically believe I will see the Union dissolve in my lifetime. Not saying if I am for or against it I just don't see us remaining undivided by the year 2100

You must be incredibly stupid and paranoid.

Funny how people decry the Union as being "dissolved" because someone wants to leave it.

The British Union survived Ireland leaving, why can't the American one survive a few states parting ways?

The south lost the moment the Union successfully declared martial law in Baltimore.

>We

You're not a confederate citizen you ridiculous faggot.

>free Dixie

CSA was less free than USA. The entire point of the country was literally preserving slavery.

SEND THEM YANKS BACK TO HELL!

Also, save poor Anne from her Hell.

Slavery is wrong

So is marching in someone else's land, murdering and plundering to no end.

>to no end
it did end, it ended when you fucks finally gave up your retarded slaver rebellion after subjecting the country to 4 years of murder

>posting William "Psychotic Breakdown" Sherman

lol, 350,000 dead yankees is the punishment you get for breaking the constitution mate.

>subjecting the country to 4 years of murder

You did that to yourselves by not letting us be.

You could've ended it at any moment by withdrawing you armies and leaving us alone.

Never had a chance. Sherman was absolutely right when he said the south didn't have the industry to keep up with the North.

Not nearly enough

>"I wish it were 3 million instead of what we got."

>muh industry

they had a manpower problem, not an industrial problem. The fact that the CSA was able to mobilize and outfit armies to combat the Federal government in pitched battle is pretty amazing considering they were only 1/4th the size.

>You could've ended it at any moment by withdrawing you armies and just letting us own Americans as literal property

Reminder Southerns shot first.

My God Dixieboos are worse than Prussiaboos

Chat shit, get hit.

the subhuman cletus race should be genocided
t. southerner who never understood the absolute retardation and evil that everyone masturbates over

This. The Southerner's best chance of winning was at Fort Sumter. Had they not shot at it and started a war, they could maybe (and it's a big maybe) survive a few years of blockade and embargo until shit died down.

>we had it coming

>someone else's land

You mean the southern portion of the United States of America?

>unironically boomerposting

Get shit on Dixie fag

theonion.com/article/civil-war-enthusiasts-burn-atlanta-to-ground-1109

When you secede from the Union because the federal government has too much power but your constitution is the same as theirs except you ban states from banning slavery.

t. Nigger/Carpetfagger

Also they got really autistic about rivers.
Only thing worse than abolition would be building dams on their rivers.

>tfw no Anne sipping sweet tea while watching her sons play Army men with their Confederate officer father timeline

You forgot to mention the legal slavery

DON'T RUIN THE FANTASY GODDAMNIT

Also

>slavery
>still legal in the 1940s-50s with the advent of modern industry and even early computers

Not even Harry Turtledove was that retarded in TL-191

Send them yanks back to hell!

reminder that even if Lee had won at Gettysburg he still would have lost Vicksburg on the same day

>Implying the South could ever have defeated the Union

The south had a huge disparity in cannon and artillery
And as they say artillery is the god of war

>we
pathetic

>Lincoln has an extremely tight election and might even lose.

Would Lincoln really have stepped down if he actually lost that election?

>we

>we
what unit were you in

There was a Holocaust?

I'm writing an Anne Frank x Sam Watkins fanfiction right now. AMA.

"Halleck was advancing; we had to fortify Corinth. A vast army, Grant,
Buell, Halleck, Sherman, all were advancing on Corinth. Our troops
were in no condition to fight. In fact, they had seen enough of this
miserable yet tragic farce. They were ready to ring down the curtain,
put out the footlights and go home. They loved the Union anyhow, and
were always opposed to this war. But breathe softly the name of Bragg.
It had more terror than the advancing hosts of Halleck's army. The shot
and shell would come tearing through our ranks. Every now and then a
soldier was killed or wounded, and we thought what "magnificent" folly.
Death was welcome. Halleck's whole army of blue coats had no terror now.
When we were drawn up in line of battle, a detail of one-tenth of the
army was placed in our rear to shoot us down if we ran. No pack of
hounds under the master's lash, or body of penitentiary convicts were
ever under greater surveillance. We were tenfold worse than slaves;
our morale was a thing of the past; the glory of war and the pride of
manhood had been sacrificed upon Bragg's tyrannical HOLOCAUST."

-Co. Aytch by Samuel R. Watkins, page 30

There wouldn't have been if only the South had won.

Lol I fought the battle of Marven Hill just a few hours ago with the confederates on Ultimate General the yankees lost 13000 men and I have lost 5000 (lol stupid tight map I had so many units that they were in the way of eachother)

Why ? There was another Union Army approaching ?

Daily reminder that the southern states are a conquered people, occupied and ruled by an invaded that subdued them.
Southern culture is more different than the rest, compared to actual separate nations else in the world.

>south succeeds
>mexico invades it
>usa supports the invasion

la reconquista :D

Sand them yanks back to Hell!

They never were Americans though, the constitution was especially for white men

Do you have any sources? From my understanding, Federal and Confederate forces had similar tech and mostly used napoleons. Confederate production only fell behind when their copper mines were taken by the union.

>1861 Mexico was capable of beating anyone

>fire on federal fortress
>federal army stomps your shit in
DON'T START NOTHIN
WON'T BE NOTHIN

Why can't my fellow southerners move on?

>attack on Fort Sumter was a random act of aggression

Kek, I guess of you ignore the previous four months

Because the Eternal Unionist still rules our land

Because even if Southerners today completely disavowed and universally condemned the actions of the Confederacy and the institution of slavery in the 19th century, progressives, liberals, etc. would still bring it up and condemn them for being the descendants. And then use that history as "proof" why contemporary Southern viewpoints (IE, mainly conservative viewpoints) are wrong. (Ex: Oh, your ancestors owned slaves, give me one reason we should listen to your law seeking to increase jail sentences for grand theft auto, which would disproportionately impact "African Americans".)

It's one of the reasons why I no longer even attempt to tell people I'm not racist or sexist. I truly am not, but liberals are going to assume I am anyway, regardless of if I tell them I'm not.

So fuck it, if bleeding heart democrats are going to condemn the South for it's history anyway, might as well embrace the good parts - the culture, the fact they held off the Union for as long as they did, the fact they were quite close to actually winning the war on multiple occasions, etc.

Might a well embrace it.

10/10...I kek'd

>>The Confederates came this close to winning the civil war.

Rebs did pretty much absolutely as well as they could. The Union missed a lot more chances for a decisive and early victory than the Confederates.

Lee was fighting a defensive battle to protect richmond. I fail to see how him winning at malvern hill would have won him the war.

So southerners really are as stupid a they are portrayed in popular culture. huh who would have guessed.

second....Lee was even more out-numbered and exhausted at the end of the Seven Days, if lil' Mac had gone of the offensive he may have won a major northern victory.

>tfw you will never hear Shelby Foote narrate the audiobook version of his civil war history.

The Confederacy's flaw was from day one: fighting a conventional, 1-on-1 war when they didn't have nearly the manpower or industrial or military resources to survive that kind of war of attrition. If I were Jefferson Davis I would've kept the Confederate capital at Montgomery deep in Southern territory and waged an all-out guerilla war, raids, deep forest and mountain combat, making the North claw for every inch of land soaked in blood until they were exhausted by war and Copperheads took over congressional seats in the '62 election and Lincoln lost the '64 election.

> would've kept the Confederate capital at Montgomery deep in Southern territory and waged an all-out guerilla war, raids, deep forest and mountain combat, making the North claw for every inch of land soaked in blood until they were exhausted by war and Copperheads took over congressional seats in the '62 election and Lincoln lost the '64 election.
That would be retarded, for the very simple reason that guerilla armies cannot hold territory. So when the Union pushes south, and your forces start harassing them, they go in, free all the slaves, occupy or wreck all the plantations, and the economy as well as the people most invested in the regime are ruined.

Guerilla war is predicated on having a war economy that can more or less survive occupation by the enemy, and when you rely on chattel slavery as much as the CSA did, it won't work.

Yeah, and guess what? The people who disagreed with you beat your emotionally-stunted redneck ass over it.

Malvern Hill was the last thing standing between the Army of Northern Virginia and Harrison's Landing where the bulk of the Army of the Potomac, including most of their supply train on the banks of the James awaiting evacuation.

If Lee had seized Malvern Hill, he would've had a perfect position to place artillery and reduce the vulnerable Union encampments below to a smoldering ruin and it would have been very difficult for the Union to retake the hill once they lost it.

TL;DR Lee could've wiped out the Army of the Potomac as a fighting force right then and there. Thus giving him the freedom to either detach ANV units to assist in the Western theater where they were losing ground, retake parts of the Deep South, or alternatively march on Washington.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malvern_Hill
Even in the best case scenario, the Union just withdraws (which they did anyway), perhaps with slightly more loss. There is no clear way in which a win at the farm would lead to annihilation or even significant reduction of the Army of the Potomic.

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on this man?

An religious zealot and all around imbecile who wanted to turn this country into a Saudi-tier theocracy.

I cannot understand why leftists circlejerk to this man when his vision of an ideal America is basically The Handmaid's Tale minus the racism.

I mean, as flawed as a Republic half-dominated by Slave Power but still has the institution of Separation of Church and State is, it's still preferable to a Christian fundamentalist dictatorship run by someone with a messiah complex.

source?

I tried

The Inner Civil War by George Fredrickson offers the best summary of Brown.

>"a narrow-minded and possibly insane religious fanatic."

>but your constitution is the same as theirs except you ban states from banning slavery.
Is this true? I was under the impression that the CSA had a weaker central government that the Union.

user...

NBF does them better Tbh

He's not an ideal, but slavery is so morally reprehensible that he and his sons did absolutely nothing wrong. There should be statues glorifying him.

>he and his sons did absolutely nothing wrong

Well they failed for starters.

youtube.com/watch?v=V2RUfDt-veI

no, we had this debate last thread and the only evidence the mememaker could push forward was that confederate states weren't allowed to free slaves belonging to owners passing through their states. They could still free slaves dwelling within their state though. Basically how the US constitution operated prior to the 1850's.

>Brown detached a party under John Cook Jr. to capture Colonel Lewis Washington, great-grandnephew of George Washington, at his nearby Beall-Air estate, some of his slaves, and two relics of George Washington: a sword allegedly presented to Washington by Frederick the Great and two pistols given by the Marquis de Lafayette, which Brown considered talismans
>hey cut the telegraph wire and seized a Baltimore & Ohio train passing through. A free black man was the first casualty of the raid. Hayward Shepherd, an African-American baggage handler on the train, confronted the raiders; they shot and killed him.
>The blacks, whom he [John Brown] forced from their homes in this neighborhood, as far as I could learn, gave him no voluntary assistance
>In three minutes, all of the raiders still alive were taken prisoner and the action was over.

kek