FUCKING HELMETS

Let's have a thread about helmets, because helmets.

Any period, any place, if it protects the noggin, it goes here

Bonus points if you add some interesting facts or whatnot.

Starting with the Boeotian style helmet. I always found it interesting, and a bit odd, that a helmet so similar in appearance to the kettle hat, but while the kettle hat primarily was an infantry helmet, the Boeotian helmets seem to have been associated with cavalry.

Also, the classical period to me is a sort of golden age of helmet design, as cast copper alloys let them come up with all sorts of crazy shapes.

gay

The Italo-Corinthian is a pretty wacky thing: It's styled on the Corinthian helmet obviously, but it's worn on the top of the head like any other.
Proper Corinthian helmets were often raised atop the head, in a way that is often associated with Pericles.

As far as I know they may have had cheekguards too, resulting in something really weird looking. I wonder how practical it was, considering the GAPING FUCKING HOLES in it.

Late Roman helmets are very underrated

They maybe don't have much stylistic flair compared to the earlier Roman helmets but they're impressively ergonomic and efficient. Also actually pretty comfortable

I've always liked the simple pragmatic look of the kettle hat, and the slightly anonymising effect the brim creates. A true piece of grunt's kit.

The Sutton Hoo helmet is a decorated Anglo-Saxon helmet discovered during the 1939 excavation of the Sutton Hoo ship-burial in Suffolk, England. Buried around 625, it is widely believed to have been the helmet of King Rædwald; for whom its elaborate decoration may have given it a secondary function almost akin to a crown.

Of the crested helmets the Sutton Hoo helmet belongs to the Vendel and Valsgärde class, which themselves derive from the Roman infantry and cavalry helmets of the fourth and fifth century Constantinian workshops.

Scandinavian helmets, Vendel Period to the late Viking Age.

I think that the reason they aren't well known and liked today is mostly because of the time period they're associated with not being the "glory days" that pop-culture likes. They're really cool and undoubtedly practical.

To me, the least stylish Roman kit is the generic "Segmentata and Galea". It may be because of how common shitty replicas of that stuff is.

So do you guys think the metal fin type late Roman helmet was just left bare or was it a mount for feathers or a crest?

Agreed

Practical

Someone was inevitably going to post this one, figured I'd be the first.

I've often read that the design of the stahlhelm led to problems with echoing when the wearer would fire their weapon. Anyone have some other interesting information I may not have heard about them?

On a different note, whether it's due to the association with Nazi Germany or just an inherent property of it, I find the helmet particularly menacing in appearance. Especially when the front lip casts that shadow of the wearer's face.

aesthetic

decorated sallet for whosoever fancies it

The Stahlhelm was suppesedly inspired by medieval helmets, namely the Sallet and Kettle hat. It definitely bears some similarities, and I think that those two helmet types also have something menacing about them. The brims and neckguards are a big part of it, I think.

>someone circle strafes you
>invincible

It's a jousting helmet.