Tell me about your family's military history anons

tell me about your family's military history anons

I'm chinese and my grandfather was the captain of China's only airforce division during the Korean War. I don't think he personally killed people but he sure did order a lot of other people to

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnet_Wolseley,_1st_Viscount_Wolseley
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Henri_Bunel
nytimes.com/2001/12/13/world/in-embarrassing-episode-french-officer-is-guilty-of-aiding-serbs.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

My Great Grandpa fought in WW2. He was in France about 2 weeks after D-Day and was Master-Sargent who dealt with communications primarily.
One of my Grandpa's fought in Korea, however he was stationed in the Medteranean to protect Italy/Spain/Greece from any USSR attack.
Another grandpa fought in Vietnam, he was stationed on some base near the border. He never really saw any action but they had weekly attacks by the Vietcong where the USAF would just napalm them.
My Step-brother was also stationed in Hong Kong a few years ago, as the first line of defense against the Chinks.

All I really know is that my grandfather occupied Japan. He was a bit too late for WWII. My grandmother's two older brothers fought at the very end, and her little brother joined right afterwards, though. This is all maternal, as my father never really talked about family history, and died shortly after his father, when I was in my 'tweens, and his mother lived in California, and I never knew her.
I should get on Ancestry, or something.

Mums side
>Great Great Uncle was at the fall of Singapore and was captured and killed
>Great Uncle was a radar man in Darwin in WW2
>Great Grandfather was a WWI vet
>Great great uncle fought at Gallipoli and died at Pozieres
Dads side
>Grandfather was with the British army in Palestine 1946-48
>Great grandfather fought at the Somme, died of mustard gas injuries in the 20's
>Great great uncle was running convoys to Russia in WW2. Was in the Coldstream Guards in the interwar period
>His brother was also in the Coldstream guards and was a machine gunner in WW1
Also a relative who I can't exactly place in relation to me who was at the Battle of Jutland. These are just the ones I know about but I suspect my family has been in the thick of it for a very, very long time

One of my distant direct ancestors blew up some forts entire powder store in an effort to drive back Americans in the war of 1812. The explosion killed an American general and stopped the attack.

i'll hunt you down and end your lineage myself benedict arnold

My grandfather was a Canadian infantryman who participated in D-day.
My great grampa was some RAF bigwig stationed in Malta during WW2.

Good luck, The same dude who did this had like nine sons. My blood relations are scattered to the win from the US to Canada.

They actually founded some parts of Toronto too.

My grandfather served in the USN during the Korean War. My great-great grandfather was in the Pennsylvania Volunteers during the Civil War, during which time he suffered an irreparable leg injury that lasted the rest of his life. That's about it, I think.

Hm my grandpa participated in the long march when he was very young, one of few to go from beginning to end

My Great Grand father's brother was a pogue who looked after donkeys in WW1. His other brother died at Gallipoli.

On the other side of the family my grand mother's brothers both died during the invasion of Normandy and my grandfather lied about his age to join the 1st Parachute Divison in early 1945 but he missed the war and got to go to Palestine post WW2 just like this guys: grandfather.

I'm a reservist

My grandpa was Airborne in Korea for six months (that was the requirement to join spec ops) after that the CIA recruited him for JACK and had him gather intelligence. He told me once they had him impersonating an Air Force lieutenant and he had a whole battalion stand at attention for shits n giggles

well I almost had a humvee dropped on me.

that's about it.

My grandfather was a sniper in Korea. I have family in every war since the Revolution. Most notably I'm related to Joseph Martin- the famous patriot portrayed by Mel Gibson in the movie "The Patriot"

This sounds like Fort York, in Tranna. They have a very cool new visitor centre about the US attack.

>Grandfather - Gunners Mate, US Navy
>Father - Surface Warfare Officer, US Navy
>Uncle - Machinist's Mate (Sub), US Navy
>Grandfather #2 - Flight Engineer, US Air Force
>Uncle #2 - Armor Officer, US Army
>Cousin - Infantry, US Army
>Me - NROTC engineering student, hoping to become either an aviator, SWO or Sub Officer in the Navy

On my father's side I have two relatives that were at the surrender of Yorktown, 7 or 8 who for the CSA. My grandfather was a naval supply officer on the east coast so no combat. Uncle fought in Vietnam and Cambodia. Don't know so much about my mom's side but I do that a whole mess of my grandfather's uncles fought in the pacific and Italy during WWII

Both of my grandfathers were connected to the Manhattan Project, one as MP and one as an actual researcher.

I believe one of my Great-Grandfathers served in World War 1.

I have a great-uncle that was part of a mortar team in the USMC and died on Peleliu. My grandfather married his fiancee. Apparently that wasn't unusual? Or maybe mg grandfather was a dick. My grandfather was a signalman on a cruiser during the same war, but doesn't see any action.

My grandpa was some kind of commando during vietnam, i didnt bother asking which group/branch specifically. He told me about one firefight where his squad and a couple others were surrounded by VC. His sergeant had been killed so he took charge of his boys. The fight lasted so long that both sides ran out of ammo but the vc can in for a charge. Gramps knocked a little viet boy. Mayb 17 or 18 he said. Hit him with the butt of his m16 and then strangled the life out of him. He still sees that boy in his dreams sometimes

Great great grandfather fought in franco-prussian war on French side went on first attempt to build panama canal got sick went to new Orleans worked on dock and got hit in head with a crate fell in Mississippi River and died.
Great uncle fought in wwi usa side died in argonne forest.
Grandfather fought in Vietnam earned a couple of bronze stars
Other grandpa was flat footed couldn't enlist for wwii was in national guard and almost got sent to korea

Grandad was an officer, managed to escape to the UK when we lost, joined the FFF, in North Africa, Italy then in France. When he came back home, he learned that his two brothers had been executed during the occupation, the family estate had been burned down by retreating Germans, and that his dad, who had been a cuirassier in WW1 (before they figured out cavalry charges are not that effective against machine gun fire), had volunteered to be taken as hostage after the resistance attacked a convoy near the town he was the major of, had been deported and died of typhus in a camp.

Interestingly, family had been staunchly monarchist, then had gravitated towards the fascist-ish movements after WW1. But they hated the Germans more than they hated all the other people they hated, so they still tried to fight them.

Looking it up, That's it. Even had the name of the general who I was told was killed. (Zebulon Pike)

Grandpa on my dad's side was a US air force scientist, worked with explosions and bunker design. He even became chief scientist of the airforce for 4 years.
Grandma on my mom's side had family tracing back to an illinois regiment that fought in the civil war. Can't remember which one off the top of my head, but I remember hearing that they fought in Gettysburg.
On my mom's side, I've got a great uncle who fought in the 442nd. He's got a medal of honor, now on display in the WWII museum in Louisiana.

Fuck, meant to say Grandma on my dad's side

>grandmother's first husband died in the battle of the bulge in 1944
>she remarried and had my mother with 2nd husband
That's right, I owe my existence to Hitler

>brother dies, leaving wife who can't support herself
>you're single, have no women in mind
>might as well marry brother's wife and have children, since you're probably gonna support her, anyway
At least your dead granduncle was related to his wife's children.

>when we lost
Who are you?

Dad served in a reconnaisance unit in the USSR military, although was mainly deployed in East Germany. Said when the wall came down he and a few mates drove around Western Germany for a bit. Told a funny story how an officer caught him and his mates drunk
Grandpa served 6 years total in the USSR military, 2 years in the land forces and the last 4 in the navy, don't know much after that.

My family serves on increasingly smaller warships.
>I was on a patrol boat
>Father was on a destroyer
>Grandfather a cruiser
>Great grandfather a battleship
I assume my son will have to face the Ruskies on a rowboat when WW3 breaks out.

>Crusades

Had a distant ancestor who marched into the Holy Land to DEUS VULT the shit out of the Muslims, knocked up some Palestinian chick and took their daughter back home with him instead.

>American Revolution

Family fought on both sides. Some with the South Carolina State Militia, others with the Hessians.

>Texan Revolution

Had an ancestor who lived in Texas around the time of the Texas Revolution. Not sure if he fought though.

>Indian Wars

Family fought on both sides of that one too.

>American Civil War

31 ancestors served in the Confederate Army. Two survived. You literally would be better off hiding with Anne Frank than be a member of my family marching with the Army of Northern Virginia.

Based on my family's research. We had ancestors in the following units.

Two in the 11th Mississippi Infantry, Company K. A father (pic related) and son. Son was killed during Pickett's Charge. Father didn't outlive the war by a year.

One in the 15th Alabama Infantry (killed at Little Round Top)

One in the Charleston Battalion/1st South Carolina Artillery (killed at Battery Wagner)

One in Quantrill's Raiders. One of the two to survive the war. Was forced to live the remainder of his life in exile in Oklahoma. Refused to ever take the Oath reaffirming his loyalty to the Union.

>WW1

Had an ancestor who was in the artillery, not sure if he saw combat though.

>WW2

Had a great-grandfather as a Colonel in Eisenhower's staff at SHAEF, was later promoted to Brigadier General in Korea after his superior was killed in a car crash.

Had a great-uncle who was killed after his B-24 was shot down over Italy.

I might have had a distant German-speaking relative who did some intelligence shit (collected documents from liberated concentration camps or something).

Step-great-grandfather commanded a Soviet CEV and saw all kinds of fucked up shit. His first wife and children (all Jewish) simply disappeared after Ukraine fell (probably killed by the Einatzgruppen)

>Six Day War

Step-grandfather was on an Israeli sub (no, he didn't torpedo the USS Liberty).

>Vietnam War

Both grandfathers and an uncle served in Vietnam.

One did just a regular tour of duty in the Army.

Another was DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) and was deployed multiple times. He unironically threw Communists from helicopters. Unit got captured, he was shot execution style, survived, was rescued by a team of Green Berets (they actually had orders to kill him if they couldn't rescue him), recaptured and shot again, and wandered the jungle for a week before stumbling onto an ARVN base. He was the only survivor of both units.

Uncle was US Army Special Forces. Did some illegal shit in Laos that he refused to talk about (other than getting shot in the stomach).

All three came home fucked up. One drank himself to death. Another abandoned his family. Uncle died with a whole bunch of his veteran buddies after their yacht sank in the Gulf of Mexico about ten years back.

Great Grandpa and Grandpa fought commies in El Salvador, uncles fought in an Anti-Com death squad again in the 80s, dad was a spy for the said death squads and I punished some hajis with the Marines.

To be honest though I wish it was commies instead, I have a lot to live up to

>To be honest though I wish it was commies instead, I have a lot to live up to

>ywn mow down the Red Hordes dressed in USMC BDUs with an M16A2 with an M203
>couldn't even give the Serbs a proper man-to-man fight because Clinton was an air power-loving faggot
>MARPAT and muh picatinny rail faggotry means BDUs and M16A2s will never be used again unless there's a Civil War, in which case, I'll be on the other side

Why live?

>implying the bulk of the Marine Corps will side with the Government

Since there's no such thing as an ex-Marine I guess I might get my shot at killing some commies with my fellow devil dogs

Great Granddad fought in world war 2 and was a prisoner of war to the Japs. My Mother tells me when she saw him he was quite on edge/mentally drained.

Will you at least swap your shitty MARPAT and A4s for some 1980s/90s aesthetics then?

My Grandfather fought in the Irgun and the Lehi and decolonized Judea from the Ishmaelite and Anglo occupiers.

>when your grandpappy's fighting skills could've actually been useful in Europe to save Jewry from absolute total fucking annihilation but got squandered on establishing a glorified puppet and secret mass social experiment run by the United States

Great Grand Father fought in WW1. First in the Belgian army, then in French Army. He was in Verdun where he lost his right thumb. He was demobilized because he couldn't fire his gun without his right thumb. Tho he wanted to keep in uniform and defend France, his new country.

Direct paternal ancestor Jean Desreanleau-Chateauneuf was a french soldier which served in Louis XIV armies before being sent to New-France to fight the natives irquois. He took part of french raids on the Iroquois and on english basements in New England.

Direct ancestor Jacques Desranleau took part of the 1th et 2th war of Italy in the french army. He entered in Naples with the King Charles of France.

Ancestor on maternal side, Carolus Magnus or Charlemagne. No need to enumerate his military victories.

What's a pampered CPC princeling like yourself doing posting on a degenerate foreign board like this?

Great grand-uncle fought in the Estonian War of Independence.
Grandfather was involved with the Germans and the Forest Brothers, but he was 14-17 at the time.

Great grandpa was in the afrika korps and was captured late in the war and returned later
His brother was a military engineer for the germans.
Grandfather on rhodesian side fought german Namibia I believe, He went on to be a doctor
My father was in the rhodesian light infantry and fought in the bush war

I'm not a European Jew. I'm a Native Jew. The Holocaust was meant to happen. G-d sanctioned it. There are no coincidences, the European Jews had turned their back on G-d so they were punished. This is why the Mizrahim were spared. Hitler may have been evil, but so were the Assyrians. G-d uses evil as a tool to teach us lessons. The Holocaust was a sacrifice in order to rebuild the Jewish people. Now the nation of Ishmael, which has oppressed us, and degraded us for the last 1,400 years is in our grip. Never again will we let Arabs rule over us. Those Jewish martyrs fulfilled the greatest Mitzvah. With fire Jerusalem was destroyed and with fire she will be rebuilt.

From the uk so almost every family member of a certain age around both world wars served. Most interesting story is a great uncle who flew lancasters who crashed in france on the way back from bombing somewhere in germany due to damage and was then shot at by the Americans who came to investigate.

>The Holocaust was meant to happen. G-d sanctioned it. There are no coincidences, the European Jews had turned their back on G-d so they were punished. This is why the Mizrahim were spared.
>Hitler may have been evil, but so were the Assyrians. G-d uses evil as a tool to teach us lessons. The Holocaust was a sacrifice in order to rebuild the Jewish people

I browse /pol/ in inundate myself in all kinds of moral obscenities literally every day and not even I'm that fucked up.

Dutch schoolgirls, Russian farmers, and everyone in between deserve to be gassed and shot because they don't worship your god in a very specific way? What the fuck is wrong is with you?

And the Mizrahim were saved by the fact they didn't live in any of the areas Nazi Germany successfully invaded. It was Monty kicking Rommel's ass at El Alamein, not divine intervention that saved you.

>Estonian
>Only 1 of my 4 great-grandfathers survived the absolute anal devastation inflicted by the Nazi and Soviet menage a trois (2 just straight up died in battle, one was taken by Soviets to Siberia, never seen again)
>The one that lived fled to the US, got rich af back when Detroit was inhabitable, actually got to meet him several decades later
feels good man

>I browse /pol/ in inundate myself in all kinds of moral obscenities literally every day and not even I'm that fucked up.
There is nothing fucked up about it. Every religious Jew believes what I just said. The Sephardi Chief Rabbi himself spoke on it.
>Dutch schoolgirls, Russian farmers, and everyone in between deserve to be gassed and shot because they don't worship your god in a very specific way?
No? That's just Goy on Goy violence, it's irrelevant. That has nothing to do with the Shoah.
>Mizrahim were saved by the fact they didn't live in any of the areas Nazi Germany successfully invaded.
Tell that to the Mountain Jews, and the Georgian Jews.
>It was Monty kicking Rommel's ass at El Alamein, not divine intervention that saved you.
Saved me? My family was cleansing our homeland of Ishmaelite and Anglo invaders while European Jews were martyred to atone for the Jewish people.

>"The six million Holocaust victims were reincarnations of the souls of sinners, people who transgressed and did all sorts of things that should not be done. They had been reincarnated in order to atone." - Ovadia Yosef

>I'm chinese
Then you're not welcome here.

Grandfather fought in the Indonesian war of Independence.

Probably managed to shoot at least someone, had great banter with former enemies after the war ended.

My grandfather on my dads side tried to flee the Japanese invasion to Singapore thinking it would be safe. Jokes on him! He made it out okay, he said he was basically a smuggler of contra band for a while.

My grandfather on my moms side was mostly a tailor in the Nationalist army and later sorta got pressed into the Communist one. He told me things got real bad at one point that they took all the men in his non combat department, gave them spears and swords and told them to clear out a part of a city. He and the boys said fuck it and tried to aimlessly wander and hide (Staying put meant death by the reds and attacking was little better).

Apparently they accidentally got behind enemy lines to a small triage center for wounded japanese soldiers. When both sides realized what was up, gramps and the rest rushed to stab the wounded men while the japanese tried crawling for any weapon nearby. Suffice to say it got pretty bloody.

I dont fully believe him, at least his version of events but he tells that story with a pride and clarity that he normally doesnt display that I cant help but wonder if he did stab some young guy lying bandaged in a cot crying for their mother.

Grandfather served in Finnish Continuation war, survived quite a lot he got shot to the head but survived. Also had schrapnels all over his body. Apparently they were about to start burying him but someone noticed that this one still breaths. My dad just served in the army for a while and was in a few foreign operations had his right hand full of scarred due to some mudslime trying to kill him with a knife.

Not the OP but I can tell you that at least when I was there a couple years ago 4chans not banned in China. Although the native english is poor so the censors probably dont care about a few weirdos on Veeky Forums.

My grandpa served in WW2, but that's all I know of my family history. He apparently received a Medal of Honor, and 3 Purple Hearts.

My Great Grandfather on my dad's mom's side was of Ural Cossack descent and his family was upper middle class. He was bred to be a cavalry officer of the Russian Army. When the commie sub-humans came around he was only 15 and still in the academy. He wanted to fight for the white army but his superior's smuggled him out of the country since he and his family were targets of the Bolsheviks. He escaped to Egypt where he met the British and finished his education and settled down in Bulgaria (and later, he and his family, including my grandmother, were arrested by Nazis and held in an internment camp)

My dad's mom's cousin was a German who served in Vietnam with the French Foreign Legion, not sure if he was killed or not, but it's confirmed he saw action.

My dad's dad's brother was a Catholic Chaplain in WWII and stormed the beach at Normandy. His unit saw heavy fighting all the way until the end and he had some pretty crazy stories apparently. He was the first American to serve mass in Notre Dame cathedral.

My dad's dad served in the US Navy in WWII. His ship was the USS Santee. He served in both theaters. In the battle of Lady Gulf his ship was one of the last ones standing and was hit by a kamikaze and a torpedo at the same time.

My mom's dad's dad served in the US Navy during WWI, I'm not too sure of what happened to him, but my mom thinks that's how he lost his thumb.

Now my sister is at the US Naval Academy and I'm enlisted in the Marines. Thought of it as my way of making my ancestors proud.

My maternal grandfather was a navigator for the RAF during WWII (more details here )

My paternal grandfather was a somewhat well-known IRA commander during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Two of his sons were also involved. One of my uncles supposedly held a high rank in the intelligence division. He became an ambulance driver after the war because he wanted to save lives instead of end them.
My other uncle did 3 years in Portlaoise prison for manufacturing explosives and membership of a terrorist organisation. During his time in prison he almost killed a guard but still somehow got out early in the peace process (probably because of who his dad was). He ironically ended up marrying a protestant.
My dad wasn't directly involved but he holds the dubious honour of having literally been born in an IRA safehouse.

My great-grandfather (my father's mother's father) fought in the 1916 Rising. He served under Commandant Ned Daly at the Four Courts. He was denied his military pension by the Free State government and died in the poor house.

>actually wanting to become a SWO

The most miserable officers I've ever met were SWOs. Don't do it

Mine trained RAF bombers during the war. Not even larping. Makes me proud.

> ancestors werehessian mercs defeated by washington
>they joined continental army
>their ancestors were confederates
>Great Uncle at Pearl Harbor
>Grandfather faught in Germany/Korea
>Dad drafted to Vietnam
>I fought the meme war

a descendant of de La Rocque?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnet_Wolseley,_1st_Viscount_Wolseley

Direct descendent on my fathers side, apparently he was a real asshole.

Grandpa served in the Waffen SS from 1943 to 1945 as a machine gunner. Served on both the Eastern and Western fronts and saw some pretty fucked up shit. His assistant got domed by a sniper right next to him as he was having a smoke. Another time, not long before the end of the war, he ended up stumbling into a foxhole of two British or Canadian soldiers and ended up stabbing one to death and fatally shooting the other

My grandpa was drafted into the Korean war but didn't want to fight so he went to jail for about a year.

Direct descendant as in your surname is Wolseley and he's your patrilineal ancestor?

My maternal great grandfather fought in North Africa for the UK in WWII. Don't know much about it because he died long before I was born and according to my grandmother he had major PTSD and never spoke about the war in any detail.

My great grandfather was a Gendarme in France when WW2 started, he left his newly married wife and fought in De Tassigny's armies which pushed back the germans twice on the marne before getting captured. He was sent to Germany as a POW and started writing poems for his wife back home, when the war ended he was sent to Algeria to become the commandant of the local Gendarmerie in Oran. He fought during the Algerian war of independance, but was forced to come back to the mainland France to protect his family when algerian terrorists started targetting them. He died of hearts problem twenty years ago, a kind a humble man with a real talent for poetry, wish I knew him more.

My grandfather was probably a pilot of china's air division, or at least part of a support crew. I don't know, the only evidence I have to go on is a military knife, medal, and picture in his room since my grandpa went insane the last decade of his life, so I couldn't ask him. My dad refuses to talk about the subject.

Breton?

Nope, he was from somewhere in northern france but not sure where

My uncle leaked documents to the Serbs in the Kosovo War.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Henri_Bunel
nytimes.com/2001/12/13/world/in-embarrassing-episode-french-officer-is-guilty-of-aiding-serbs.html

Iirc correctly he only had one daughter, I'd dig up the family tree but my grandparents are across the country.