What are some of the biggest mysteries of History?

What places have the biggest holes in our Knowledge?

I'll start, Rome's history before the sacking by the Gauls.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors'_plot
youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4
youtube.com/watch?v=WDaZdO8RYuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ssO12u2DxD4
youtube.com/watch?v=9VNP50Cdkqs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Late Bronze Age Collapse

Bronze Age Collapse

Ancient african space race

Wasn't this caused by migration?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors'_plot

NazBol is the ultimate redpill

The most compelling theory is a general systems collapse. Migration on its own is insufficient.

Unknown, the migration may have been in response to a weakening of the big powers. What seems to have happened is that a succession of falls led to the globalized society experienced in the Mediterranean to collapse. Whether the Sea people caused those collapses or simply capitalized on it is unknown

Supposedly climate crisis plus a volcano set it into motion

Atlantis. You know it existed.

How niggers went from building pyramids to sucking cow ass for a living.

Yakub invented wypipo

They didn't make the pyramids, that was the Egyptions

Aliens built the pyramids retard.

Whitey stole their special powers and minds and the secrets of al-gebra. You know how knowledge works, when someone learns something, someone else has to unlearn and forget it forever, and then racially and collectively morph into starving retards.

>We know that a particular board game involving dice was incredibly popular in the Roman empire
>It was mostly played by the lower classes, but a few notable members of upper-class indulged as well.
>Emperor Augustus loved the game so much that he had his carriage specially modified so that he could play it while traveling.
>Emperor Claudius would invite Senators to his house and give them vast sums of money upfront just so they would have something to bet without having to risk their own money

Despite this we have no idea what the rules were, or how it was played besides that it involved dice and moving around some pieces on a board.

It was probably backgammon, my man. Hate to burst the bubble.
Here's Roman handball

I doubt that's correct because we do at least know that the board was in fact some sort of grid. However, there are other things from Rome which know existed but we don't have:

>Caligula's sister wrote an autobiography at one point, but nobody has ever found it intact.
>Nero's mom wrote an autobiography at one point, but nobody has ever found it intact.
>Sulla wrote an autobiography at one point, but nobody has ever found it.

Those three autobiographies could shed a lot of light on things that have puzzled histories for decades. Caligula in particular, because most of what we know about him is meme history. A real source from somebody close to him would be a gold mine.

Any manuscripts in Shakespeare's hand
The real loss when it comes to imperial literature is Claudius' Dictionary of Etruscan.

Probably. My theory is ancient nomad caused this. Similar to how the Xiongnu/Huns drove the massive native nomads west and Rome was devastated by this. The same effect probably happened.

Where is Genghis Khan buried and what treasures lay in his tomb? Also where is Alexander The Great's tomb, anything left of it or him?

lol this.

Considering how people reportedly knackered about his mummy all the time, it's doubtful. However, here's a cool fresco from a Macedonian Tomb, perhaps a Philippian one at that. It's very well wrought

Operation Highjump

Pretty entry level, but they still haven't deduced what Greek Fire was made of. It's pretty intriguing that the middle age byzantinians managed to create such a superweapon and then keep the secret forever.

"General systems collapse" tells nothing other than a bunch of fuck ass shit happened and it took civilization a long ass time to recover from it.

The Indus Valley Civilization seems to have collapsed in the centuries preceding this, and the general time period correlates with the historical Shang-Zhou transition (which by itself seemed to have brought significant in chinese civilization and religious practice. the mandate of heaven dates to this period). Maybe all or most sufficiently advanced civilizations in Eurasia were doomed to failure during the 1400-900BCE period not necessarily due to the direct shift from bronze-iron which seems to have disseminated piecemeal through Eurasia but perhaps due to cultural pressures that arouse as a result of these civilizations forming around bronze in the first place. Native bronze is rare in nature and sources of tin can be controlled quite easily by a centralized authority. It's much harder for a central authority to control every source of iron in his kingdom or neighboring kingdoms. In addition, it's easier for a layman to hammer a billet then it is for him to make a cast. The Bronze Age correlates with highly centralized societies and its end seems to have favored more decentralized arrangements (the twelve tribes of Israel, city-states of Greece, the feudal Zhou polities, the loose nomarch confederation of the 25th dynasty in Egypt, and the iron age vedic tribes of India leading up to the Kuru Kingdom).

The only civilization that exempted from this, in a wide band ranging from Italy to India, were the Assyrians, who survived by retreating to the core territories and biding their time. Everyone else gets owned by invaders, migrations, or marauders during that window of history.

Where's the beef

As a Catholic, the fucking state of the Vatican before the rebuilding of St Peter's in the 1500s. In the previous demo, hundreds of tombs of popes were destroyed plus they covered up Peter's supposed burial site which they only uncovered like 20 years ago.

From the minute the St Peters is rebuilt, there's a decent flow of information. Before that, there's soooo much fucking lore that no one knows: the crown of thorns, the lance of Longinius, the original Holy Grail, Peter's exact burial place, the burial cloth of Christ (Shroud of Turin has a bunch of complications).

Finally, Michelangelo apparently destroyed many of his drawings some of which were used as the architectural basis for the Basilica rebuilding. Wtf man....

napalm??

Also three fourths of Livy's History of Rome is missing

Michelangelo destroyed a lot of his drawings in general, because he was a wicked cunt who was afraid people would steal his work. He also wanted to present himself as a natural genius, so he tried to destroy any rough sketches, like pic related, and denied any apprenticeship in his authorized biographies, Condivi's and the second edition biography in Vasar's lives.
He also apparently refused to take on skilled apprentices and only took ones he was sure wouldn't surpass him, using them for menial work like preparing paints.
Michelangelo is a fascinating character

That sounds really fucking interesting. Do you know of any paper that talk about The Bronze Age Collapse in this sort of viewpoint?

Yeah, and it's all of the relevant parts

Books 76-80 and part of 81 were discovered in the last several years, they haven't been translated yet

That's pretty surprising. I would've thought historians and translators would be super-excited to work with a thing like that. Maybe it's hard getting paid for it. Well, anyway, I aim to be a translator myself so if they don't hurry up I wouldn't say no.

sorry user, but those got used for toilet paper just like 95% of all classical literature in the early medieval period

here's a very good lecture on it

Ayyyy, I've seen that.
Here, have one of my favorites.
youtube.com/watch?v=WDaZdO8RYuQ

The Trojan War

aka WTF ACTUALLY HAPPENED

There was a war, in Troy.
I honestly read a modern book that still toed the old, "The Trojan War was about the Mycenaean conquest of Crete" meme. It's like, what? They knew where Crete was, if it were about Crete, it would have taken place in Crete.

I think its interesting that certain details about Mycenaean Greece were correctly portrayed in The Iliad, while others were completely off base. Like Odyseus' boar tusk helmet which is accurately described despite them not being used for hundreds of years and none ever having been found in post bronze age archaeological sites.

Yeah, they also had chariots, but they aren't described as accurate in function. Also, the Greeks cremate their dead, where the Mycenaeans would have inhumed them.
Also, despite Iron having been developed during the proposed composition of the Iliad, bronze is solely referenced. It's interesting to see what actually survives the transmission process

I like to believe the Trojan war happened, in Troy, but it wasn't like the movies make it out to be - large organized armies and navies fighting it out for glory. The greeks back then were a bunch of tribes following whatever warlord came to power and the Trojans were probably doing the same, it's not hard to imagine this as a mere conflict between two ancient powers played out to be a great noble war for a cunt. Agamemnon needed to promise more than gold to his men in order to get so many of them to build ships and sail them farther than they've ever been, away from their families towards near certain doom, so he promised them glory, that they'l forever be remembered and so on. The stories about Troy rose from Agamemnon's attempt at building a legend out of a war in order to win that war, and he succeeded at both building that legend and winning that war, which says a lot about him.

there were no greeks back then

This was a pretty interesting lecture, thanks for sharing it. I've been wondering about the Sea Peoples' and the collapse of the late bronze age cultures recently, good to have more context about it.

Why Hitler cared about Aryans. I don't know if that was established, just seemed weird that that is the group of people he wanted and wasn't apart of.

Except that iron didn't start being preòevant in the Near East until 1000 bc, but most states collapsed around 1200-1150 bc

And in Greece it wasn't prevalent until 900-850 bc

?

Iron is referenced too multiple time in the Odyssey, are you sure it's not in the Iliad aswell?

I like the theory that it's in the Basilica of St Mark in Venice

That "mystery" is solved by reading the introduction to the Wikipedia page on Aryans.

Yes yes, that they were nobles or created all civilizations which a big hub was near/in germany then where lost to interbreeding. But why would he care of this race in his war. Shouldn't he of just cared about the Jews or world domination. The jews made sense since the porblems of Germany between ww1 and ww2, but why care for the Aryan race as a front runner idea.

Yeah pretty much, I read that it's likely there was small scale famine or drought that was bad enough it caused a small number of civilizations to turn on their neighbors out of desperation. This started a snowball effect where groups of people were either going around raiding agricultural centers or they were fleeing from the raiders and attempting to take refuge within the more established cities/countries. Basically there was no way that those early forms of government were ever gonna fend off raiders, feed the migrants, and deal with a famine all at the same time.

My point is was he just racist, wanted improve mankind, was he horny for blond chicks. Then why did so many Germans go with it if few were Aryan.

What's the mystery with this one?

Did you just have a stroke?

>Emperor Claudius would invite Senators to his house and give them vast sums of money upfront just so they would have something to bet without having to risk their own money
Daww, that's like the nicest version of "here's your controller, bro" in all history.

Irishfag here, studied celtic civilisation during my first year in college as an elective, loved it.

One of the biggest mysteries in that field is what the fuck happened during the Iron age. We have tons of myths but fuck all archaeological evidence, to the point that some speculate there was a plague that wiped out most of the population, so there was literally nothing happening.

An even bigger one is chariots. They're in literally every myth we have, but in the whole of the British Isles there has been ONE chariot ever found by archaeologists. So the mystery is either what did they do with the chariots, or why did they insert them into the stories if they were never used?

Richard E. Byrd claims that he and his troops were attacked by flying saucers that came from underwater. Chances are that those UFOs could have been German and that not all is lost.

youtube.com/watch?v=ssO12u2DxD4

Romans didn't exist before the sacking by the Gauls. The Romans were actually the descendants of Gauls who stayed in Italy, and later retconned their history to claim they were Trojans.

Rome was on it's way to collapse way before the Huns entered the scene. And the Huns were disintegrated pretty much by a Germano-Roman alliance.

Maybe indo-european stories featuring chariots that were carried over into the British isles despite chariots themselves not having been carried over?

Who uses chariots in these myths and how common are they?

>the Huns were disintegrated pretty much by a Germano-Roman alliance
if you're talking about the battle of Châlons, you're wrong. The huns literally managed to invade Italy the following year. If it weren't for them retreating due to plague and famine, Rome would've been defeated. What destroyed the hunnic empire was the death of Attila.

I heard a pretty ridiculous theory that when Irish writers were introduced to Roman accounts of Celtic warfare like Pomponius Mela and Tacitus they were like "oh heck, this is us" and that coloured later renditions of Irish myths.

>If it weren't for them retreating due to plague and famine, Rome would've been defeated
Eh, doubtful, the eastern empire was sending help.

>the eastern empire was sending help
Sure, but the huns were taking roman cities at such a rapid-fire rate that they could have waltzed on rome before anyone getting there. The roman military was pretty much out of commission by this point and at one point, Aëtius almost grabbed the emperor and ran for it. Who knows what would've happened if Attila hadn't agreed to peace. They might very well have been defeated by the eastern romans, though, as you say.

Yeah that's one theory that's brought up occasionally, more out of confusion than anything else. Don't think anyone takes it too seriously, it's more that there's just no other obvious explanation

Literally anyone travelling or fighting, basically. Especially fighting. Read the ulster cycle myths and they're absolutely everywhere

Kind of begs the question of why they didn't make chariots if they knew what the technology was though

>The greeks back then were a bunch of tribes following whatever warlord came to power

False, Knossos was a massive city bigger than most Near Eastern cities, same with Pylos in mainland Greece, according to the Egyptoan account the Danaju (Danaoi) of mainland Greece had one king, the ahhiyawa (Achaioi) of the Hittite accounts too seem to have been ruled by one great king

why we stopped making this delicious shit after rome fell

Jews are a race now

The history of south-eastern England between 410 and 700 AD.

Pls be bait

Two words: Roanoke Colony.

Why was Göbekli Tepe built, buried and rebuilt over and ocer again?

Why did the Cucteni-Tripolye culture do the same?

What cultures and, dare I say it, civilizations existed on the green sahara/ice-age coastlines (sundaland, persian gulf lowlands, pre-flood black sea and doggerland)?

Is Atlantis/Mu-stories a remnant of ante-diluvian history/civilization?

According to the user i replied to they are.

Göbekli Tepe was a religious site. Despite what fedoras would like too believe all human civilizations were formed around religion. Remove it and you get disaster

it was a bunch of things all occurring close to one another in which society could not hope to handle and thus collapsed

I agree 100% that Göbekli Tepe was a pre-agricultural religious site, but that doesn't explain why it was built and subsequently buried.

Was it built as an mytho-astrological observatory to track and explain the shift in climate due to the taurid meteor stream hitting the Laurentide ice-sheet and the following global rise in sea level?

Or was it built as an religious center to facilitate a transitions to a cult of ancestors from hunter-shamanistic belief, that commemorated the rise of proto-agriculturalism?

And why the flying fuck was it built, buried and rebuilt over and over again?

There's about 3 different fault lines in that area. An earthquake probably destroyed it.

Where the frick is that Alexander guy buried?!?!

And don't tell me in Venice.

>Where is Genghis Khan buried and what treasures lay in his tomb?
If the story about his burial is true, he probably wasn't buried in a tomb that was constructed, but in a grave somewhere on the steppe.
Hard to find a singe grave in a country like Mongolia.

Wouldn't the most basic explanation be that they all rotted away? The ones that got preserved in graves, that is.

Detroit 2030

He's buried on the mountain he grew up on. The whole area was made off limits and was considered sacred (don't know if it still is or not)

You aren't wrong, put Hitler worshipped one race as inherently
superior to all others. That's pretty much the definition of racism

>Famines
>Earthqukes
>Rebellions
>Climate change

A combination of these could had trigger collapse of every ancient civilization, also provoking the immigration of the Sea-people to places like Egypt, causing the war between these two.

Were ancient romans actually all black or not

Romans were a "rainbow" society. People from all over the conquered provinces were gradually incorporated into the empire.

>all black
No, probably a minority of them were but in rome they didnt discriminate by race they just hated barbarians which were pretty much anything that wasnt roman, you could be a barbarian turned roman but you had to serve for like 20 or more years (I think) and then you and you and your family were considered romans.

History of Britain from c 410 to c.600

Just how much the Soviet Union really infiltrated and compromised Western nations during the Cold War. Perhaps the Cambridge Five and the Rosenbergs were just the tip of the iceberg. There is some evidence that even national leaders like Lester Pearson were unwitting informants of the KGB. it could also be the case that the Soviet Aliyah was cover for getting thousands of Soviet spies into Israel, and from there, into NATO countries (Sergey Brin, cofounder of Google, is one such ex-pat). Maybe the entire collapse of the USSR was staged, with Yeltsin and Putin carrying on the illusion for whatever reason. The Soviet Union was never toppled by force and the Russian state is the direct inheritor of all its secret archives and documents, most of which I'm sure will remain secret for our lifetimes.

>Greek Fire
youtube.com/watch?v=9VNP50Cdkqs

It's a smaller thing but the origins of the state which would become Poland are pretty mysterious.

The Saxon Eastern March of the Holy Roman Empire was expanding eastwards beating up various Slavic tribes with their tiny divided territories until in the 950s-960s it came upon a larger state comprised of several relatively well-integrated tribes which promptly converted to Christianity and later became Poland.

It seems the tribal state had existed for several generations by then but they didn't have any form of writing so its history is very uncertain. By oral accounts it was founded by a dynasty called the Popielids. The last of them, Popiel IV, was supposedly overthrown and devoured alive by mice, after which the great-grandfather of the first historical ruler took charge.

We don't really know whether any of that is true.

fantastic post and also why i treasure Veeky Forums.
upvoted

Pretty much. And yet the EU and America still allow mass migration of peoples flood their borders thinking they are globalized peoples...

How does that saying go again? Those who do not learn from History are what?

oh yeah... fucked.

We don't really know shit about the Sphinx, what it was originally called, when it was built, what it depicts, etc.

Göbekli Tepe is pretty mindblowing.

Fuck off Poltard