People used to sail to the other side of the world and kill for this shit...

People used to sail to the other side of the world and kill for this shit. Spices aren't even used that much in bland European cuisines anyway. What the fucking fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miasma_theory
mentalfloss.com/article/49217/anatomy-14th-century-bubonic-plague-hazmat-suits
pastebin.com/TWPqCXTt
pastebin.com/rXEVZ1F7
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Spices were just an excuse, really. It was just really fun

> Spices aren't even used that much in bland European cuisines anyway
>what is sugar, pepper, cinnamon

Just 3 of them, average Indian dish contains 30 if cooked properly.

>Spices aren't even used that much in bland European cuisines anyway.
Oh look, a retard.

Literally the only thing Europe use more in their food than spice is eggs and milk

Not complaining about it, now cinnamon can be found all over the world

>mfw

And the average Indian Street contains 30 different poos if designated properly

>>>/pol

They didn't kill because they were craving spice cake, dummy, they killed because rich people in their country wanted to buy spice cake ingredients from them at inflated prices

Nah I cook a lot of indian dishes and unless we're talking restaurant food, at most there are like 5-10 different spices.
Still though, shitposting about shit like this is just pathetic and I doubt any of you even know how to cook indian or traditional european dishes.

>Implying that who controls the spice does not controls the universe

What if the food was spicier in old times before fast food and pizza ruined everything?

Then poos needed wider streets

You need spices to add flavor to bland or salted food during winter

Come back after you've only been eating cereals, fish, meat, eggs, and dairy products for your entire life.

Jesus I just realized something.
>Anglos had a world empire alright.
>Their food is still fucking shit.
Of all the flavors of Asia, the only thing they wanted is tea. Jesus fucking Christ.

>People used to sail to the other side of the world and kill for this shit. Spices aren't even used that much in bland European cuisines anyway. What the fucking fuck.

I remember reading a Cracked article speaking about how, in renaissance Europe, spices were believed to be medicinal. As in, smelling certain spices was prescribed for different ailments. I believe those beak goggles used by medieval doctors during The Plague contained them as well.

>bland European cuisines

I love how idiots obsessed with /pol/ always fail to board link.

You mean like british indian curries?
Or curry powder in non 'indian' dishes?
Do you know anything about british cuisine?

Most stupid thing I've read in a while. You've also clearly got no idea how cooking works or producing a good mesh of flavour

Woops, meant for this

Brought over by recent immigrants, not during the Empire.

Woops my mistake. I thought of the delicious simplicity of italian cuisine and saw the red mist

The first curry recipe recorded in England was in a cookbook published in 1747.

>what is paprika, nutmeg, clove, allspice, saffron

>implying German Nordic and Anglo food actual have complex tastes

Would neck myself if this didn't exist

indian food has basically become the national food of britain, though...

Is saffron actually even used in Euro food?

Is this a joke?

Obviously, the demand of the elite 0.01% over-rode any pathetic desperation generated by the residual 99.99%....

In other words, same as today.

>beef wellington with a pot of dijon mustard or some horseradish on the side
pure perfection

It's used mostly in southern cuisines.

>let me just conveniently ignore the entire rest of Europe

Now that OP has been completely and irrevocably BTFO in his attempt to stir up another racebait shitstorm, can we discuss historical foods and drink?

>southern europe
>europe
Pick one, only whites are considered European

mediterranean cooking in spain and italy uses it
also this from wiki:
>Saffron demand skyrocketed when the Black Death of 1347–1350 struck Europe. It was coveted by plague victims for medicinal purposes, and yet many of the farmers capable of growing it had died off. Large quantities of non-European saffron were therefore imported.[48] The finest saffron threads from Muslim lands were unavailable to Europeans because of hostilities stoked by the Crusades, so Rhodes and other places were key suppliers to central and northern Europe. Saffron was one of the contested points of hostility that flared between the declining landed gentry and upstart and increasingly wealthy merchants. The fourteen-week-long "Saffron War" was ignited when one 800 lb (363 kg) shipment of saffron was hijacked and stolen by nobles.[48] The load, which was en route to the town of Basel, would at today's market prices be valued at more than US$500,000.[49] That shipment was eventually returned, but the wider 13th–century trade was subject to mass piracy. Thieves plying Mediterranean waters would often ignore gold stores and instead steal Venetian- and Genoan-marketed saffron bound for Europe. Wary of such unpleasantness, Basel planted its own corms. Several years of large and lucrative saffron harvests made Basel extremely prosperous compared to other European towns. Citizens sought to protect their status by outlawing the transport of corms out of the town; guards were posted to prevent thieves from picking flowers or digging up corms. Yet ten years later the saffron harvest had waned. Basel abandoned the crop.[50]

I hate to tell you that nobody outside of Veeky Forums thinks this.

Plague Doctor masks were filled with scents because diseased people and animals tended to smell even more like shit in a time before everybody was frequently showering. They didn't think scents were directly linked to catching the disease. They knew it was contact with the diseased at all that spread whatever caused sickness. Plague Doctor outfits were well-sealed and had an early form of sterilization applied.

The whole "scents cure ailments" thing was just old wives' tales of that time period. People said that because they didn't know much about what was actually causing disease, but to some extent we did know it was more than just rancid scents.

Tell us more dr broscience

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miasma_theory

>Spices aren't even used that much in bland European cuisines anyway.
No idea for the other coutries but here it was used a lot more in the past

I'm into traditional cuisines but it's pretty hard to find proper recipes/sources, especially in english.
I find the more historical side of it pretty boring though, I tried to read books about historical food but it was just shit about climates changing, archaeology, etc.

You will never taste Roman Silphium, why even live.

is there anyway to revive it? why can we find pollen or grains from it in libya and then somehow grow it again?

Okay dumbo, I guess Plague Doctors applied wax sterilization to their suits because they believed it stopped bad smells, and was not scientifically correlated to avoiding the spread of theorized contagions when physical contact with the diseased occurred.

Just because miasma theory was postulated does not mean every single doctor or scientist accepted stink as a primary, or even legitimate, vector for infection.

Check this out: mentalfloss.com/article/49217/anatomy-14th-century-bubonic-plague-hazmat-suits

"This beak piece was also filled with vinegar, sweet oils, and other strong-smelling chemicals to mask the stench of death and unburied bodies."

"It's also thought that the wax could have been used to keep [DISEASED] bodily fluids from clinging to the coat."

"Because the infection tended to attack the lymph nodes first, doctors paid close attention to cover and protect their armpits, neck and groin."

Doctors during the Black Plague had a pretty good idea of vectors and transference of disease, even if it wasn't perfect. Germ theory was something that existed in some fashion.

pastebin.com/TWPqCXTt
pastebin.com/rXEVZ1F7
there seems to be a lot of historical stuff in here with recipes included, just ctrl f recipe
also this
Wright, Clifford. A Mediterranean Feast: The Story of the Birth of the Celebrated Cuisines of the Mediterranean from the Merchants of Venice to the Barbary Corsairs, with More than 500 Recipes. New York: William Morrow, 1999.
>Inspired by Braudel’s vision of Mediterranean unity, this is a fascinating and eclectic examination of the cross-pollination of cuisine in the Mediterranean.

>A Mediterranean Feast
Have you actually read this?
I might have to get it if it's good.
It's not just recipes like 'beef stew has 1 onion, 1 pound beef, 1 potato and nameless spice' right?

>making veal meatballs this evening while pajeet makes bait threads
Feels good

no i haven't desu it just looked interesting to me. i just searched on google books and you can view a limited preview of the book, the recipes don't look primitive or anything

i prefer pajeet's bait thread to kevin's 89999th WWII thread

What about all the rest of Europe you skullfuck

Maybe, just maybe, this might cause you to look up what late medieval/early renaissance European dishes consisted of and then we can have an actual thread about an interesting topic.

But nah, let's just throw maymays at each other

Stop making these repeat threads bashing white food. Saged and reported.

Doctors wearing beak masks didn't happen in the 14th century. The earliest depiction of them is in the 18th century. That article may not be entirely accurate...

MedievalCookery.com
Godecookery.com

Are both good and have lots of transcribed recipes in modern English.

Inn at the Crossroads is great too. Fantasy based but many of the recipes are drawn from medieval and early modern texts which it gives transcriptions for.

>Europeans are dune Larpers

Your post was just an excuse, really.

/thread

>bland euro cuisine

Youre either black or some nigger lover from the US arent you?

Spices were expensive as shit

But not all white for sucks...just British food. Med and French food is great. I would rather have a thread talking about food than another thread talking about what race was insert group or fucking Africa bait threads. Besides, no one is really bashing, they were just posting about different types of food. Fuck off.

Yes because only blacks use spices in their cuisine. Not Indians or Asians.
Aslo you just kind of insulted European cooking yourself.

Is Anglo food really as horrible as everyone says it is?

Their breakfasts are heavy but very tasty. Not surprising considering it's ideal hangover food for a nation of alcoholics.

Yes. It's shit.