What the fuck would have happened if the allies actually ended supporting the Finns against the Russians in the winter...

What the fuck would have happened if the allies actually ended supporting the Finns against the Russians in the winter war? How would WWII have ultimately turned out?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_support_of_Finland_in_the_Winter_War
youtube.com/watch?v=9mj7biOwRks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ended up*

I believe the Allies were planning on bombing the Soviet oil fields at Baku, but then Hitler did that whole invading France thing.

>nvading France thing
You do realize France declared war first?

>We could have had all of Europe united against Soviet aggression if not for Hitler's autism

It probably wouldn't have made much difference. It takes time to set up supply lines, especially ones that would almost have to go through the arctic ports unless Britain and France could come to an agreement with Germany to ship the Finns stuff despite being at war with them at the same time.

Over the course of about 3 winter months, they're just not going to be able to send anything materially useful, or so I would think; Finland would stand or fall based on what they had before. You wouldn't have much of an impact in the local conflict, let alone the wider war.

How would the Allies have supported the Finns?Telepathy? There's a reason the Finns sided with the Germans, it's because Germany and not the Western allies had direct access to Finland via the sea.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_support_of_Finland_in_the_Winter_War

>Muh innocent Germans
kys

There were serious talks about fighting the Soviets. Ex-president Herbert Hoover called for sending weapons to the Finns and basically called FDR a commie faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=9mj7biOwRks

Britain and France did draw up plans to attack the Soviets in the event of an alliance with Germany, but the strategy was to handle one enemy at a time. That is, to focus on Germany first before taking on the Soviets as long as the Soviets were a third party. Britain and France had little to gain by pissing off the Soviets while in the middle of their fight with Germany.

Then Barbarossa changed everything, making the Western Allies "wait and see" approach to the Soviets pay off massive dividends in the form of an ally on the continent after the fall of France.

The finns would have won the winter war if the allies stepped in, thats for sure.

>Swedes, Danes, Americans

So no nation that was, you know, involved in the war against Germany. I repeat: How do you imagine Britain and France could have aided Finland?

yeah, after the germans invaded Poland. go fuck yourself

Not him, but Petsamo doesn't freeze in the winter, and Narvik and Trondheim usually stay ice free. If Norway and Sweden are on board, those are routes for at least small amounts of material aid. German submarine efforts theoretically could attempt to stop them, but they didn't actually do much in the North Sea historically, especially not early war.

Actually. Germany should have made a secret peace deal with the Soviets that let them take most of Poland but with no paper trail.

Then when the Soviets invade Poland backstabs the Soviets and joins the allies.

Pushes Soviets back to urals with allied logistics support.

When Soviets surrender, throw the Poles under the bus and keep the land like the Soviets did at the end of WW2.

Then spend the next 5 years building a navy and air force to invade UK.

The U.S. did provide material support to Finland, most importantly and significantly in terms of communications equipment (radios). Large food drives were held as well especially in Michigan's UP ( majority Finnish population).

Shipping aid to Petsamo would have done little for the Finnish effort, doubly so since the Soviets occupied Petsamo quite early on in the Winter War.

They didn't get the port until February 25th. That's pretty late in the war, all things considered; and it still doesn't stop you from shipping stuff to Norweigan ports and railing it in through Sweden.

I am not OP.
In that article you have even listed Poland.

but we won it anyway user

>things that could never ever happen

Werharboos amirite

Finland did not 'side' with the Germans. No promises, just the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Russia's extremely poor performance against the Finns convinced Hitler that Op. Barbarossa would be a walk-over.

His initial statement was still incorrect