Is gender 2 dimensional?

Is gender 2 dimensional?

Other urls found in this thread:

isna.org/faq/ten_myths/rare
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_hermaphroditism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>gender

Only loosely speaking. Probably better to stick to scientific terms though.

Three dimensional at least.

yes /thread

>Neutral male and female
Where are evil male and female, good male and female?

>Neutral male and female
Where is chaotic male and female, lawful male and female?

"Gender" is as variable as a society decides it is, since it's a social construct. Sex is unipolar, male or female, extremely rare genetic abnormalities notwithstanding.

"Female" is a synonym for "chaotic evil".

Made me kek

wtf is "feminine chemistry"?

Chemistry is hormones and coding is your chromosomes.

What a truly stupid chart. Who, exactly, occupies the "androgynous zone"? People who don't have male OR female chromosomes?

....so you aren't transgender until you take the hormone therapy?

There's no such thing as "transgender" since gender is already socially constructed. If you want to be a woman then simply adopt a female role and people will treat you as a woman. Taking hormones and surgery is about changing your SEX, not your gender.

>Taking hormones and surgery is about changing your SEX, not your gender.
But it doesn't actually have any effect on your sex.

I'm talking about the implications of the chart. also hormones and surgery do not change your sex, they only make it easier for you to pass as the opposite sex and serve as therapy for people with gender dysphoria

You can alter your secondary sexual characteristics, obviously hormones and surgery won't affect your primary sex characteristics. I'm sure that if it was possible to change those, then transexual people would do so.

no, it's boolean

>But it doesn't actually have any effect on your sex.

Pretty sure estrogen in combination with testosterone blockers will make you grow tits and your voice will get gayer.

Neither of those determines your sex, dumb-dumb. Sex is determined by chromosomes and gonads, not by secondary traits such as tits.

Secondary sex characteristics user...do you know what that entails?

Isn't that what normal people call 'gender role'?

Yes. Gender IS gender roles.

>Neither of those determines your sex, dumb-dumb. Sex is determined by chromosomes and gonads, not by secondary traits such as tits.

Yes, I'm sure it's normal in nature for men to have breasts.

>your voice will get gayer
sounding "gay" is an accent. not many women actually use the same inflections as flamboyant gay men

Some men have breasts, usually due to a hormone imbalance. They're still men. Some women have no breasts, they're still women.

Yes they do, you just don't notice because they aren't men.

Normal state of things this isn't true.

This. With that said, anyone feel like transexual surgery as a "cure" for gender dysphoria is a bit of a scam and false promise? You only give them the semblence of being the opposite gender so that they can be addressed that way more easily. You will never be able to make a man totally feel like a woman sexually. And you will not be able to have a woman feel the same as a man sexually.
It all seems shallow. We are just helping them gain the ability to be referred to as the opposite sex, not actually letting them be it.

When you look at it that way, it really does make gender dysphoria seem like a mental illness.
If one wants to do "male" things or "female" things they need only do it. No need to make yourself have to BE the opposite sex. Gender is a social construction after all.

Irrelevant to the facts about sex, which are, that it is determined by chromosomes and gonads, not by breasts or how you speak.

What are you talking about?
Men have chest/bosoms..but not fully developed breasts like women with disproportionate fat deposits regardless of weight.

why do people make this stuff

>With that said, anyone feel like transexual surgery as a "cure" for gender dysphoria is a bit of a scam and false promise?

Very much so, since it does nothing at all to treat the real problems such people have, which are extremely high rates of depression and suicide. In fact they are MORE likely to ill themselves after sex reassignment surgery. It's doubly horrific when you consider that there are excellent treatments for similar disorders (such as those people who feel they are "really" paraplegics, or who want their limbs surgically removed) based around CBT that have extremely high rates of success and typically result in a total cure. But you can't suggest CBT for trannies because MUH IDENTITY.

>When you look at it that way, it really does make gender dysphoria seem like a mental illness.
>If one wants to do "male" things or "female" things they need only do it. No need to make yourself have to BE the opposite sex
but the deal with gender dysphoria is that they do want to be the opposite sex. I don't know how you're going to make them settle for only doing the typical behavior of the sex they want to be when what is driving them is the urge to be the other sex

This explains everything.

interesting. I had assumed the sexual reassignment surgery was done because there wasn't another way to treat this type of condition. I've heard of one case similar to what your talking about where a woman felt she needed to be blind. I've always thought this sounded like a similar condition to gender dysphoria because she tried to blind herself as a child and some of the cases of children with gender dysphoria have them attempt to cut off their genitals

It's not considered the same for purely political reasons, but it is in fact the same exact kind of "mismatch" between body and self-image, and CBT is an extremely effective treatment for it.

But they will never really BE with the current technologies at least. Unless we can somehow find a way to rewrite their genetic code in early every single cell. Then again, we still can't do much about the genitals we removed from the men and lack of penis in the females. At most some high tech surgery that can implant a penis that can somehow be wired with the nerves in the body, basically impossible as we know it.

They are literally just LARPing as the opposite sex at this point.

You can't really LARP as opposite sex as there is no sex specific behavior (if you don't LARP something akin to pregnancy).

There's no single behaviour unique to men or to women but there are certainly many behaviours that show clear statistical differences between the sexes.

what about PMS? or teenage male roid rage?

Yes.

Females also suffer rage, females who take testosterone for whatever reason can suffer from roid rage. As for PMS, sympathetic PMS is a thing. Also, PMS isn't a behaviour, it's more like a medical condition. Men don't generally suffer from cervical cancer, either.

>females who take testosterone for whatever reason can suffer from roid rage
yes, but they normally don't. hormones influence behavior so hormones that normally occur at certain levels in one sex will naturally be associated with that sex. PMS is a medical condition, but it also influences behavior.

So? What do you even think you're arguing for? You claimed PMS and roid rage are gender exclusive behaviours, now you admit they're not, and yet you seem to think /I'M/ the one who has to explain myself? Go fuck yourself, pinhead.

is that the pms talking?

Every culture has a concept of 2 genders male & female of the sort.
It's just that, if you take into account of more than 2 genders than it starts to vary from culture to culture.
e.g. Hijras of South Asia, Fa'afafine of Somoa

Appearance wise I mean..don't take everything I say literally.

Then say what you mean you dense faggot.
>HURR y do u dumb people take me at my word?
>DURR its like u cant even read my mind lmao

characteristic is the right word. the fact that if you give someone hormones that naturally occur in the opposite sex they will start acting like the opposite sex in some ways doesn't contradict that certain behaviors are characteristic of one sex.

I'm glad you agree with me. I don't know why you felt the need to address your post to me and not to the guy who disagrees with you, tho.

Being intersex is not extremely rare.
isna.org/faq/ten_myths/rare

you can't graph it, so no.

0.05% is pretty fucking rare, user. That's only .04% larger than the chance of seeing a shiny pokemon.

>& Humanities

There are 4 gender-structures in nature
>M&F
ie Humies
>agender
ie viri
>M&F&neutral
ie ants
>neutral
ie snails

>That said, we do know that about 1 in 2,000 children is born with genitals that are pretty confusing to all the adults in the room.

Not only is 1 in 2,000 extremely rare, this number doesn't even refer to intersex people, just to people born with genital malformation of some kind. Absolutely pathetic how you disgusting subhuman faggots just lie, lie, lie to push your revolting agenda. Enjoy burning in hell you contemptible piece of literal human shit.

woah nelly
you arroight fella?

No gender roles are separate from gender. Gender rolls are just societal expectations. Like how a father should behave, or what role do adolescent males play in society, and what types of dress are appropriate based on age and gender and stuff like that.

It has two poles, but it isn't two-dimensional. We couldn't count the dimensions with present technology, there are too many genetic and epigenetic factors involved, and males and females differ in too many ways.

Why is everyone so autistic when it comes to labels? People often refer to adults men as boys and adult women as girls quite regularly. I'm sure if some sissy boy likes to be called sa girl, this person isn't literally referring to chromosomes.

No, it's one-dimensional

With infinite positions along it.

>Femme Fatale.

Is this chart implying that Ada Wong, Rouge the Bat, Carmen Sandiego, and Catwoman are the most feminine of all female types?

This is how males who post on 4chins justify calling themselves "Men" instead of blobby man-children who have never reached mental maturity and still live with their parents at age 35.

Setting a low bar for being a 'man', I see through your tricks.

Its not even one-dimensional. That would imply there are possible values between maximum femininity and maximum masculinity.

There aren't. Gender is binary.

That calls into question the reality of feminine and masculine. Are you saying that it's impossible to be more feminine or more masculine than somebody else?

Andy Dick is as masculine as Teddy Roosevelt?

Hmm. So it's a total myth, a fabrication, that a person can be born with traits from more than one gender?

Andy Dick is just as much a male as Teddy Roosevelt. You are conflating gender and gender roles.

Nah. There is documentation of persons being born with penis and vagina. However, they can't impregnate themselves.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_hermaphroditism

Gender roles are not set in stone and are often different across cultures. I suppose a transsexual wants the appearance and probably the Gender roles of the opposite gender. So if Sex represents your biological arrangement, and gender roles represents the attributes associated with sex, isn't that an argument that you can change your gender? What is gender then, if not your gender roles?

Chimera's are dope as shit!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

>gender is a social construct
>you can be born the wrong gender
pick only one.

used to be, at least in western medieval society, that gender was one dimensional. There wasn't men and women just men and inferior men.
Let people stuck centuries in the past wallow there

Shouldn't this be moved to /lgbt/?

Not that it'll make much of a difference, that board will rip it up just like this one must have, but it still probably should be done.