en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yongqiu
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/雙忠廟
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_dynasty#Establishment
britannica.com/topic/Tang-dynasty
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What battle is this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

To be fair, general Zhang Xun was a military genius. Not to mention persistent in his objective in defending the province he's assigned to.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yongqiu

>Yin Ziqi had besieged the city for a long time. The food in the city had run out. The dwellers traded their children to eat and cooked bodies of the dead. Fears were spread and worse situations were expected. At this time, Zhang Xun took his concubine out and killed her in front of his soldiers in order to feed them. He said, "You have been working hard at protecting this city for the country wholeheartedly. Your loyalty is uncompromised despite the long-lasting hunger. Since I can't cut out my own flesh to feed you, how can I keep this woman and just ignore the dangerous situation?" All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh. Afterwards, they caught the women in the city. After the women were run out, they turned to old and young males. 20,000 to 30,000 people were eaten. People always remained loyal.

You don't know half of it. Their story was included in some Chinese textbooks in high schools. They're immortalized as guardian Gods. There are over one thousands temples to honour them in Taiwan and Fujian.
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/雙忠廟

>Implying you wouldn't eat thirty thousand people if you could

wew fucking lad

> People always remained loyal.

HOW? Is this asian cuckery?

Because Chinese people love Tang dynasty.

Shame upon your ancestors if you're not eating those babies man. I mean nasty Chinese ghosts are literally called Hungry Ghosts.

>Chinese
>Muh nation

It's useful during invasions but 50% of the time, its weaponised autism.

Is there anyone who takes these exaggerated bullshit stories seriously anymore? Really?

>tfw I look at Chinese people now and only see temporarily abstaining cannibals

>exaggerated bullshit stories
Have you ever read the original Chinese texts?
This battle was a VERY crucial turning point during An Lushan Rebellion, and An Lushan Rebellion was a VERY big deal back in Tang dynasty, that's not exaggerate but fact. So yes, it's still being treated quite seriously, especially considering the high casualty and horrible cannibalism of it.

These two generals' decision is always attracting lots of controversies among Chinese historians and intellectuals.

>Some dude says he's the brother of Jesus
>Fast forward 14 years
>100 million people are dead

Chinese history is fucked up man.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion

>people still call chinese history boring

Those that didn't remain loyal were eaten.

Man, can you imagine a Chinese civil war today? The catastrophe that would cause, will be of comical proportions.

>>Yin Ziqi had besieged the city for a long time. The food in the city had run out. The dwellers traded their children to eat and cooked bodies of the dead. Fears were spread and worse situations were expected.

Lmfao what?!

An Lushan wasted so much time on this siege that the Tang were able to regroup and fuck him up, without holding out that long the country would have collapsed.

It is.
>dude a ton of chinese people kill each other for the 35247256th time lmao
BORING

>implying that's not human history as a whole

Well, you have to compare it to what would have happened had the city fallen. Which I don't know, but it's an important factor.

are chinese people even human? How do we know they arent some hivemind, insectoid race?

>useful during invasions
But the two most successful dynasties were founded by norther invaders

>two most successful dynasties were founded by norther invaders
>yuan
>qing
Gave me a good chuckle there, m8

Tang was founded by the Jurchens

History is literally nothing more than a bunch of evolved Apes killing each other.

East Asians are more akin to insects than humans

you keep this up, and we'll be recording american cannibalism when your next civil war 2 electric boogaloo comes up

overpopulation problem will be relieve a quite bit

I didn't realise that people were eaten. I one heard just involved the soldiers eating horses and tree bark.

>I one heard just involved the soldiers eating horses and tree bark.
Civilians are less useful than horses though.

It wouldn't be as barbaric. Thanks to modern technology like the internet and cameras in everyone's phones, acts of savagery would be quickly reported, the information disseminated, and it would be a massive PR problems for whoever was supposed to be in charge of the criminals.

Remember that the US pulled out of Vietnam because people saw what actual war was like on TV, and Vietnam wasn't as savage as WWII.

China doesn't care about that as much.

Perhaps, but they do care to an extent. Why would the government try to censor the entire internet if people would see their past misdeeds and not care?

>japan

Brilliant

Cannibalism demonstrates your loyalty and Confucian values.

>30 ships crashed
>Yi's record
(((Korean))) media.

Also the Koreans had armored ships.

>oh shit watch out for those armored ships

Based.

>China doesn't care about that as much.
The Chinese people do.

And in every Chink civil war, you have to win the Mandate of Heaven (read: the recognition of people that you are the legit government.)

And Cannon.

The Japanese navy had zero cannon coz the Samurai thought boarding was the only legit form of naval combat.

Fugg bruh, such an extreme display of civic patriotism/piety gives me mixed feels. On one hand, manly tears for sacrificing everything around you, even your humanity for the sake of what you believe to be the greater good. On the other hand, holy shit that is just metal, how many people - family members for some - do you have to eat before you think "shit maybe this isn't quite what the celestial bureaucracy had in mind with the mandate of heaven"

west:
>save women and children first
east:
>eat women and children first

>Tang was founded by the Jurchens
What alternative reality are you from?

>The Li family belonged to the northwest military aristocracy prevalent during the Sui dynasty[11][12] and claimed to be paternally descended from the Daoist founder Laozi (whose personal name was Li Dan or Li Er),[13] the Han dynasty General Li Guang,[14][15] and Western Liang ruler Li Gao. This family was known as the Longxi Li lineage (隴西李氏), which includes the Tang poet Li Bai. The Tang Emperors also had Xianbei maternal ancestry,[16][17] from Emperor Gaozu of Tang's Xianbei mother Duchess Dugu.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_dynasty#Establishment
britannica.com/topic/Tang-dynasty

They're at most were related a few highly sinicized Xianbie royalties.

It wasn't about defending the women and children per se, it was about defending the city, and you need the men alive to do that

See: Alesia

>Chinese general captures thousands of enemy soldiers
>Buries them alive

Based on Records of the Grand Historian, after the defeat of Zhao Kuo's army, Bai Qi ordered the execution of some 400,000 Zhao soldiers, presumably by burying them alive

Although Xiang Yu had the 200,000 surrendered Qin soldiers buried alive, he spared the three generals Zhang Han, Sima Xin and Dong Yi.

Bai Qi ordered the captured soldiers to be executed, presumably by being buried alive... ...Sima Qian claimed over 450,000 Zhao soldiers were killed during and after the battle. Emperor Xuanzong of Tang (685-762 AD) later built a temple over a collection of some of the human remains, and bones continue to be discovered on the site (Battle was in 260 BC)

What's the point of the fucking city if it has no people remaining?

it has valuable walls and structures and it can easily draw more people in from the countryside

>England is the bad guy in Chinese history

They can't question your legitimacy if they're in your stomach.

Yi soon Shin's personal craft was the only ship fighting at the start of the battle. The Mori ships also reached inside the minimum range of the Korean cannons but boarding action cause heavy casualties due to Korean Archers/Muskets.

>Mandate of Heaven

No, it was just a propaganda tier CB

Strategical positions.

I watched the Korean movie about it. Is it true that the monk participate the war? I must speak against shits like rockets

what the fuck is the english wikipedia has a heck more of info compare to the mandarin version?

Yep, not only in this war, but during the other invasions as well. They were always placed in the most dangerous positions so the other men might see and fight harder, even till death.

If Vercingetorix had done this at Alesia, he would have won

Nah mate. They just needed Asterix

>All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh.

>You have to eat this

I was referring to the general naval situation of the Imjin War.

Nips suffered heavily for their lack of artillery. The fucking "national" Flagship/personal warship of the Shogun was breached in battle and was towed back to Japan to avoid being a national embarassment by sinking.

>if they don't eat the meat, then she died for nothing
>if they do eat the meat, they just ate another human being

It was more of a Pre-Imperial China schtick.

It descended from the very ancient practice of burying slaves alive as human sacrifice to accompany a departed notable like a dead King or something. Still was around up to the warring states.

>loyal
>eat 20000 people who aren't loyal
>400 survive
That's an approval rate of 5 %.

>I don't care about what happened, but you have to eat this

Sacrifice a city to save other cities.

100% approval rate. Dead people don't count.

It has nothing to do with burying slaves. Its just easier to do with huge numbers of POW. Let them dig a huge hole, march them into it and with your armed troops nearby let their friends fill the hole back up.

fucking roasties put in their place
Normies get out reee

Be glad that he did this or else China become another Turk

As a chink I recognize how fucked it kinda was. But it's jarring to see that the Western idea of loyalty & duty is "walk away when shit gets hard".

In a Confucian society you are to obey your superior, consequences be damned. You're allowed to argue, beg, reason, bribe, whatever. But you NEVER disobey an order.

And in turn the superior MUST protect their inferior, consequences be damned. If your soldiers/children/employees are hungry, you do what you have to do.

If you have a Bond of loyalty with two people and your interests conflict irreconcilably, the only way out is an honorable suicide.

>Your little brother has stolen and the law is to execute thieves, but you must protect him
>You're a police officer and your loyalty is to your commanding officer/ruler, and your duty is to enforce the law
>Time for suicide

If you eat your civilians, you win

God

>jarring to see that the Western idea of loyalty & duty is "walk away when shit gets hard".
you really have zero idea of Western history, don't you? even the most retarded kids in Chinese state schools know the Germans in WW2 "just following orders" excuse.

Personally, I quite like this historical anecdote and consider it quite acceptable.

He didn't have the authority of the chinese state. His lords would've rebelled.

>"walk away when shit gets hard"
It's called having conviction. To stand by what you believe in, what you know to be true and right, even in the face of opposition, even if it means going it alone. That is admirable. Robotic Chinese have no concept of integrity or conviction, they are just slaves who do whatever they are told to do and believe in nothing. Only what master believes is important to them and even then only so long as that person is their master. Hollow, empty people devoid of meaning.

In the west we have a tradition of martyrdom in the Christian faith. Saints and other early Christians were put to death or tortured for their belief in Christ, yet so strong was their conviction they would not renounce Him even subjected to such cruelties. Having the courage to stand alone against a howling mob that wants your blood because you know it is right is considered true righteousness. Following orders you know to be wrong is easy, you can just say "my master told me to" and it removes any responsibility from yourself, any necessity to consider morality. It is for soulless people.

Except they didn't kill and eat them all AT ONCE, right? This people was remaining loyal while others where being killed and eaten, knowing they would be next.

this

Is this the fault of Confucius or are the Chinese just too autistic for ethics?

China yellow washes everything bad in their history, it's really only the West that goes to any length to educate others on their atrocities.

>In the west we have a tradition of martyrdom in the Christian faith. Saints and other early Christians were put to death or tortured for their belief in Christ, yet so strong was their conviction they would not renounce Him even subjected to such cruelties. Having the courage to stand alone against a howling mob that wants your blood because you know it is right is considered true righteousness.

Soooo...

Just like the conviction that "I must hold this strategically important city as is my duty to the country, at all fucking costs."

You proved nothing m8.

>fed them literal roastie

Confucius was just afirming already existing chinese values. He was a traditionalist.

We're not only amazed by the dude who eats, but the gazillion fags who are willingly eaten.

>the Chinese
>human

Pick one.

Difference is means vs ends. Chinese will use any means to reach their ends, which is efficiency, not ethics (unless you are a dirty utilitarian scum). Western morality is largely based on ends not justifying immoral means. It's the opposite in China.

You just agreed with me you stupid gweilo. The loyalty of the martyrs for their master Christ was very admirable.

Confucius does not advocate BLIND loyalty to one's master. A subordinate has a moral duty to speak up when their superior is going down the path of darkness. When the command is wrong, a son should resist his father, and a minister against his master.

You western fools call piety "robotic"

There's always a trillion more chinks to replace any that die.
There's a reason westerners think chinks are an insectile hive mind race, its because there's so goddamn many of them.

Fuck off. The "insect" meme only exists on /pol/ from their weekly "shit on chinese people" threads.

You really full of shit! Have you even read a single Chinese page? Can you even read Chinese? The Chinese version clearly have more detailed and longer contents of this battle than English version. And everyone can directly read original Chinese texts of these stories from "Old Book of Tang" and "New Book of Tang" on internet. Besides, did you not see these? People already said it's been recorded in Chinese textbooks and there are thousands of temples about them till nowadays.

I'm always amazed people like you can shameless spout shits while barely can read any original texts.

My grasp of Chinese history is really bad, but wasn't there some warlord that ended up depopulating his territory by 90% or something? Soldiers being ordered to kill the peasants and then each other, mountains of heads and stuff like that.

calm down, zheng

>the "insect" meme only exists on /pol/
lol no, that meme has been around long before /pol/.

John Chinaman speaks the truth (for once):
there is an imperative to do away with corrupt and inefficient emperors. The Mandate of Heaven is not tied to one man, it can be taken away just as easily as it was bestowed. This is discussed in Mencius as I recall. Also see TT Meadows' work, The Chinese and their Rebellions for further evidence of this in action.