I bought a Qur'an

Before I start, what should I expect? Its an English translation (Oxford University press).

have any of you read it? What did you think? In respect to content and quality of the text alongside your interpretation of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mIe5kSSavKA
youtube.com/watch?v=I-tboYkOFho
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm currently reading it. It's what you would expect based on Islam in it's current state. Lots of repetition. Juicy stuff comes later when Mohammed became a warlord.

It's fun man. Little easier to follow than the Bible imo

I would recommend reading it with some commentary to bring it into perspective.
Def. not as adulterated as the Bible either.
That being said, the Bible stories I think are over all better.

It could make HBO for sure, don't know how the muslims non-western muslims would take it though?

There's a sura solely dedicated to saying "pls stop bullying Muhammed"

As a non-Muslim Westerner it was certainly an enlightening read.

Expect to give up on reading it after a few pages. The Koran is an incoherent series of rambling nonsense, presented out of order. Even if you read every page, you still don;t now what it says because of the principle of abrogation whereby later passages that contradict earlier ones supplant those earlier passages. Unfortunately, the verses are presented in order of length, and not in the order they were received, so there's no way to tell which passages abrogate which other passages without further research.

> Before I start, what should I expect? Its an English translation (Oxford University press).
No idea I've read it in spanish. According to muslims a translated quran is NOT a quran but a tool to introduce people to the real quran, because allah spoke to muhammad in arabic and so only the arabic one is the real quran

>What did you think?
Lots of recycled talmudic and nestorian stuff + zoroastrian influences. Plus its own things.

It's like a lite version of the OT. Didn't really impress me much desu. In regards to moral ans philosophy os far closer to the OT than the NT.

Muslims are terrorists and pedophiles.

*and
*is

Hope it comes with commentary and context. You'll probably not get anything from it reading it vanilla

really? no way, every one? can't trust them based on what this user said guys.

Well pack your bags everyone. user was right this entire time.

consider reading the sceptics annotated version instead

also don't forget that current islam is not just the quran, it's also the massive history and thousands of fatwas by cool dudes like khomeini ("if you rip a baby girls perineum it's just a sin between you and god, and not punishable by earthly law").

>It could make HBO for sure, don't know how the muslims non-western muslims would take it though?
They would never do it because it would offend Muslims.

Also HBO is bluepilled as fuck, the Quran feels more like something that would come out of Cinemax or Starz.

The prose is way better

I read more then half the thing and the Bible is actualy not only better written but easier to follow.
Tho reading the Quran may give you some insights at what muslims believe and why they behave in some ways.
If you want to know what to expect, lots of repeticion and somewhat of a bad writting, but other than that, isen't as bad as some people paint it to be. (tho there are parts that show the modus operandi of jihadis, like, to wage war on the infidel whatever he is and so on).

If you want a real ride on the magic carpet into radical muslim bullshit, read the Hadith.

Yeah, the Hadith is also one of the basis in Islam (and there is a ton of them)

This. Good thing we have based people like Paul Joseph Watson warning us about the evils of Islam.

Not all sects believe this.

Well true. My mistake them.
Oh yeah, Imam Tawhidi. He is based as shit, realy like the dude.

If it seems a tad chaotic remember that the surahs (chapters) are *not* arranged in chronological order but by length.

>Quran

Kind of meh. If you want to get into the crazies, try reading the hadith. Hell, just read Tabari's "history" book.

There are some arrangements that put the more artistic one over the more dogmatic ones and so, on.
Tho from what I know, the more classical one is from the longest to the smallest.

Isn't the quran supposed to be the most beautiful work of art ever made?
Or do you need to be able to read arabic to fully appreciate its beauty and poetry?

Yeah but unless you specifically hunt those out (and really what person new to any book would even consider the possibility of chapters not being chronological) you wont run into them.

>Or do you need to be able to read arabic to fully appreciate its beauty and poetry?

Yeah its one of those awkward moments where God in all his glory and power can only make a book that is beautiful in one language.

That's a meme. It's just regular poetry, and religious people whip themselves up into a frenzy over it and start weeping and claim nothing else but a true divine text could do that.
Even if people cry at obviously mundane shit all the time. Not to mention that in all other religions people cry and get ''euphoric''' at the drop of a hat.

Here is the exact same type of poetry, but mocking the quran fetishists. youtube.com/watch?v=mIe5kSSavKA

Another reason why I came to the conclusion that, at least in the way is written and they way is told, the Bible is superior to the Quran.
The Quran is dryer and more boring to read then the Bible (also a lot shorter, but this is just a observation, not a quality of any sorts).

The whole point was that this level of poetry and meaning was achieved by an illiterate merchant who had no experience or knowledge of poetry. There had been no such work of the Qur'an's caliber that had previously appeared in the Arabic language.

>sceptics annotated
kys

This. If you don't know the proper order you lose a lot of the significance. Read it with a commentary. Spoiler: nearly as boring as the Book of Morman.

>The whole point was that this level of poetry and meaning was achieved by an illiterate merchant who had no experience or knowledge of poetry.

Thats not really that impressive though, Mozart was composing piano music as early as 5 and not having any knowledge of how to read or write music and produced great works yet we would not say its a Miracle.

Illiteracy has does not =/= creative or dimwitted. Especially in a more oral culture and you will find similar firsts in other cultures.

Likewise I got the sense that its quality being such that it could never be reproduced was seen as the miracle not its particular origin.

>achieved by an illiterate merchant
I thought the quran was written by G_d?

Here is that first song btw

youtube.com/watch?v=I-tboYkOFho

The idea is that the only explanation of it can be that it comes from God because Muhammad was incapable of producing it himself

Maybe if he was born in the 7th century Arabia and pulling something like that off he could kickstart the birth of a new religion. IIRC some people did claim that Mozart had received divine inspiration

Depends on your perspective user. This as well

Sorry you're in denial but it's the truth. They are pedophiles and most of them are terrorists. Not all of them.

Ahh okay. What if he heard if from someone else? What if he wasnt actually illiterate?

>. IIRC some people did claim that Mozart had received divine inspiration

You might enjoy this then
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies

> What if he heard if from someone else?

Then he managed to hide the existence of that who was produced this text that was made over a 20 year period.

>What if he wasnt actually illiterate?

Not terribly much although its worth saying that the region he lived in did not have a strong literary tradition even though spoken poetry was a huge thing.

Well there's gotta be a logical explanation user

Whats so illogical about a man having great poetic talent and charisma?

user speaks the TRUTH.

/thread

B-but, muh hadiths...

>Likewise I got the sense that its quality being such that it could never be reproduced was seen as the miracle not its particular origin

Hard to say, the Qur'an invites challengers to produce something of it's likeness which can be seen as addressing the entirety of humanity for all time. Or just the egging the local Quraish pagans who were staunch opponents of the early muslims.

All of them are from post-renaissance/early modern period. Role of religion was weakened, still plausible to at least claim some sort of divine inspiration.

>Hard to say, the Qur'an invites challengers to produce something of it's likeness which can be seen as addressing the entirety of humanity for all time. Or just the egging the local Quraish pagans who were staunch opponents of the early muslims.

I read it as being the former as the latter seems like a pretty lame and impossible test, likewise if it was so restricted I dont know why modern dawah people would go on and on about it.

>All of them are from post-renaissance/early modern period. Role of religion was weakened, still plausible to at least claim some sort of divine inspiration.

It also helps that prodigy intellect has more outlets in modern societies and is easy to record.

The fact that their are people like this from all kinds of faiths and even no faiths leads me to think it is just a human/worldly thing unless you want to get into some Bahai reasoning.

no i meant there has to be something more logical than getting info from an angel

As an ex-muslim(who by islam should be killed) i detest the quran

Please give me your address, I have to """talk""" to you about your apostasy. Kek

I don't bloody think sh*ria allows it m8

>As an ex-muslim(who by islam should be killed) i detest the quran

On which grounds?

How did your family take your apostasy?

Congratulations user! Soon the Truth will be yours as revealed by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)