What do Confederate statues commemorate? Do they symbolize ideology...

What do Confederate statues commemorate? Do they symbolize ideology? What makes statues of Confederate soldiers any different than statues of Nazi soldiers?

>What do Confederate statues commemorate?
Confederate war dead.
>Do they symbolize ideology?
The confederate "ideology" is exactly the same as the USA's. The CSA constitution is mostly just copied.
>What makes statues of Confederate soldiers any different than statues of Nazi soldiers?
There's nothing similar other than that bother were soldiers.

no war was ever 100% good guys vs 100% bad guys, kys

>what do they commemorate?
The Confederate dead and the sacrifice many people made
>do they symbolize ideology?
No
>what makes statues of confederate soldiers any different than statues of Nazi soldiers?
Their ideology and "crimes" are so wildly different that it's such a retarded analogy

What's the current position on Union soldiers? Are we against them for being in the service of hegemonic White Supremacy, or are they good guys?

commemorating your fallen soldiers isn't meant to symbolize anything but sorrow over loss. Everyone is entitled to build memorials to their fallen.

>statues of Nazi soldiers
there are statues to "Nazi" soldiers in Germany. But there aren't any to actual Nazis like Goebbels or Hitler. Meanwhile I bet there are statues of actual War Criminals like Sherman.

I don't understand why the whole monument thing is such a big deal. It should just be as follows:
>Monuments to average joe CSA soldiers always kept
>Monuments to Confederate Military leadership judged on a per-person basis, Lee is fine, Forrest is not
>Monuments to the Confederate government or its political leadership taken down because they were traitors

It is a big deal because it is a campaign waged by carpetbaggers to erase identity and history. I don't really need monuments to Lee around, but if one already exists, someone who wants to topple it is a scoundrel at best.

>The confederate "ideology" is exactly the same as the USA's.

The CSA was created to protect the institution of slavery. THAT is their ideology.

>The CSA constitution is mostly just copied.

...with the rather significant difference that it explicitly forbid any law against enslaving "negroes."

Do you not see why someone might have a problem with celebrating that?

The symbolize the heroism of men on battlefields, and political ambitions of the American South.
The political ambitions of the American south at the time were, of course, to protect the dominance of the Anglo-Saxon race in America, but there's no reason to smash symbols of one race's identity just because it hurts the feefees of some group of useless, soulless malcontents.

>protect the dominance of the Anglo-Saxon race in America
Their goal was to protect their economic competitiveness, /pol/. I know you like to pretend that the CSA was some paradise for the White Race, but the primary motivator for protecting slavery was "Slave labor makes agricultural economies competitive with industrial economies", not "Fucking gorilla nigger ape monkeys need to know their place": the latter is revisionist history created by a mix of the KKK and far-left scholars. Also, Southern plantation owners were a mix of English, Scots-Irish, and French overall, not the AS "master race" ruling over everyone else. Please, actually be familiar with the subject before opening your ignorant mouth.

>Revisionist history is A-OK so long as it makes my tummy feel good

You are engaging in discourse at the level of a child, or you are a shitposter. Either way, grow up or leave.

>Forrest
He actually had a huge change of hearts at the end of his life, even claiming that blacks should be allowed into law school and such.

This is a quality post

>The CSA was created to protect the institution of slavery. THAT is their ideology.
So what?
The USA protected the institution of slavery for almost a hundred years, and then proceeded to support the segregation of blacks for another hundred. On top of that the USA was created to protect the institution of "white supremacy" over "indigenous" cultures as it expanded across the continent.

>Do you not see why someone might have a problem with celebrating that?
Sure, but I think those people should keep their mouths shut or move to a less "racist" country and they should be ignored by the majority as our entire history and existence as a nation is "problematic" for these traitors. Meaning that if we cave on this issue it's only a matter of time before they come for the rest of our history and culture.

They are not glorifying the ideology, but the soldier itself. Giant swastikas and Confederate Flags may be symbols of their ideology, but individual soldiers constitute rememberance more than anything.

The fact of the matter is that a huge population of people today are made uncomfortable by having a looming symbol of oppression in public places. I think it's fine to be proud of where you come from, and we should definitely know our history and be aware of it so we can prevent doing it again, but you don't need a literal giant statue to signify it. The present is what matters, and if a section of the population doesn't like them, I think we should tear them all down.

t. a southerner

>t. barbarian
ftfy

>I think it's fine to be proud of where you come from, and we should definitely know our history and be aware of it so we can prevent doing it again
>The only thing memorable about my history is that we did a baaad thing and we swear we'll never do it again oh lawdy no siree!
pathetic

History is history little snowflake no matter how much it offends you and the other kneegrows its a part of American history and should stay

>US protected the slavery system for 100 years and segregation

so they changed their minds and abolish them,are you saying that we should keep institution for your meddlesome reason?

>keep your mouth shut or move to a less racist country
wow i guess free speech only applies to your own belief i guess

not a big fan of statues in general and certainly disagree in toppling them for ideological reason but yeah idolizing them as some sort of abstract symbol or trying to silence people who have a problem with them itself is pretty dumb

>War criminal like Sherman

Somebody's mad.

The majority of actual NOLA residents supported taking them down. The "carpetbaggers" were butthurt people from North Louisiana, Mississippi, and elsewhere that got so triggered about what our city wanted to do with it's land that they drove in from all over the country to sabotage what the locals wanted.

And there's little or no actual history behind the statues they took down in NOLA. Davis just stopped in town while passing through on business trip to see a doctor and croaked a couple days later. Lee just traveled through town years before the war while getting transferred out west, because the city was a major military transport hub. Beauregard is the only guy you can even make a flimsy argument for having a monument to, but the monument did not even mention any of the shit that he did as a businessman and bureaucrat in New Orleans - just his military career elsewhere.
Too little, too late. Guy should've been strung up for war crimes after executing hundreds of surrendering American soldiers.
The US wasn't specifically created for the sole point of slaughtering Indians and enslaving black people. The Confederacy was created literally because of slavery.

Most of the Confederate statues were a more a physical eulogy for the dead lost in the war which saw some of the greatest military minds lost in conflict. The south after the war was drained of a generation filled with pride and of bright military minds that could inspire their soldiers.

>so they changed their minds and abolish them,are you saying that we should keep institution for your meddlesome reason?
No.
I'm saying that the US is every bit as tied to slavery and racism as the Confederacy, and any successfull attacks on the memory of the Confederacy justified by racism and slavery will eventually be directed at the US once everything that celebrates the memory of the CSA is erased. These people already burn American flags, do you honesty think they're going to stop complaining about slavery and racism once the last memory of the CSA is removed but the memory of slave owning Thomas Jefferson, and racist Andrew Jackson live on and are celebrated?

>trying to silence people who have a problem with them itself is pretty dumb
Not at all, it's the foundation of every successful civilization. There's no point in coddling those who see you as their enemy, better to expell them and treat them harshly than to treat them gently and have your weakness rewarded with further demands.

>The US wasn't specifically created for the sole point of slaughtering Indians and enslaving black people.
Irrelevant as that's exactly what it did.

>What do Confederate statues commemorate?

Depends on the statue, and like all art, on the observer. I'd say they commemorate a failed nationalist rebellion inside of an ideologically-focused supranational state.

>Do they symbolize ideology?

That's part of it.

>What makes statues of Confederate soldiers any different than statues of Nazi soldiers?

Confederate soldiers are of one blood with not merely Americans, but with the victorious union army that defeated them. WWII was about putting down a mad dog of a nation, one which had been taken over by a cancerous ideology. The American Civil War was a country crucifying itself to remove it's greatest sin in the most painful, brutal way possible, because that was the only option left.

As a Southerner who sees the Union as completely in the right and generally leans fairly liberal, I think there is value in commemorating both sides. Reconstruction was hard enough on the South. I have my suspicions that Reconstruction is a large part of why Dixie is still as racist as we are. It's PTSD on a national scale.