What is the difference between old french and modern french?

What is the difference between old french and modern french?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QqYhwm9M8Jw
youtube.com/watch?v=FuQpFH1EcrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8I_vQHbmmaY
youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8rt3hHUEY
youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Time.

Was there still somewhat of ancient Gallic elements in the Old French language, more than today, or did that disappear after generations of Roman assimilation?

The Celts spoke Latin by the time of the Frankish conquests, the only Celtic speakers left were in Amorica and in the west of Britain (and Ireland).

What is this, a map of France FOR ANTS?

In terms of Language, you really have to consider that voice and speech of a language especially in the Times of late antiquity up through the 17th century were very delicate.

By delicate I mean the dialect and way a language was spoken changed a lot depending on the stability of the nation and its people inhabiting it. By the late 15th century, France had established itself as a major power and was actually the first country with a standing army of around 25000. Though the borders of France would change man times between 1450 to 1950, the delicacy of its language had for the most part held it's own and even spread itself across the globe in the colonial period of Frances development.

What is most different perhaps may be the inhabits of what is modern France. Many different people's by the year 1000 had already came and went. The obvious Celtic people's as well as Germanics which would evolve to the Frankish and to eventually be Latinized into being known as the French

It depends what old french you're talking about
But obviously it just became "simpler", other accent were created when people stopped pronoucing some letters like "estre" -> "être", "desguster" -> "dégouter". Prononciation changed, for example "oi" became "wa" instead of "wé". Rs are not rolled anymore and it sounds stupid. It really changed particularly in the Revolution.
Every old french versions sounded better than the one today imo

There's just some words, that's it.

It gradually became uglier and more retarded

>What is the difference between old french and modern french?
Old French was more Latin than French
Old French
youtube.com/watch?v=QqYhwm9M8Jw

Middle French
youtube.com/watch?v=FuQpFH1EcrQ

French
youtube.com/watch?v=8I_vQHbmmaY

Easy the old French had homosexual kings and queens wich did nothing but have sex while everyone is starving., while the modern French aren`t starving but are now a meme.

I'm surprised by how much I could understand old French, and Middle French just sound a bit weird at most. That's neat. Can native speakers of English understand Old English like that too ?

Yes they can, even those who have learnt english. If you know how to speak german (or dutch) then it's even easier to understand Old English.

>Not putting glorious Douce Dame Jolie as example for medieval French

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8rt3hHUEY

But yeah, gotta admit, it is neat to be able to understand a good deal of ol'/medieval French. You'd think it'd be a lot harder even for French natives.

There were dozens and dozens of different local tongues in France
There was the official french language of the court and of diplomats of course though
When there were the first efforts to make it standardized and mostly to make everyone use the same, they had to sort of syncretize the language with the local ones

Old French had the habit of slapping Fs instead of where modern french would put an S

In any case, a text in old french is rather obscure to the common modern frenchman, though still decipherable
I'm gonna pick up a nearby book and give you an example:
"Fault hault louer la vertu magnanime
De vostre cueur. O libéral donneur!"
These are the first two lines of a propaganda poem for François Ier, by Guillaume Crétin (heh)
In modern French you'd roughly translate it to
"Il faut hautement louer la vertu magnanime
De votre courage. Ô généreux donneur!"
("One has to highly praise the noble virtue
of your courage. O, generous giver!")

I haven't slept for 20 hours so forgive me if I wrote anything stupid

I knew a welsh girl who studied English and I was surprised to learn they had to study texts in Old French, which is historical since it remained the court language for a long while after the normands came in.

Modern French is getting BLACKED

If anything, it's getting a bit ANGLO'D, as there are quite a bit of English loanwords nowadays, mostly for new technologies, but the Académie Française is fighting the good fight. There are some old, mostly indirect Arab influences too, but direct arab influences are mostly limited to a few loanwords, often for familiar/vulgar speech. I can't really think of any African influence, though.

English is getting FRENCH'D BLACK'D and PAKI'D

London is a Franco-Pakistano-Polish caliphate

Really? I'm a native English speaker and I have a decent understanding of German, but something like Beowulf is pretty much gibberish to me other than few words here and there.

I can understand the context. I imagine if you know dutch then it would be easier to understand.

færgripe flodes; fyrleoht geseah,
blacne leoman beorhte scinan.
Ongeat þa se goda grundwyrgenne,
merewif mihtig; mægenræs forgeaf
hildebille, hond sweng ne ofteah,
þæt hire on hafelan hringmæl agol
grædig guðleoð. Ða se gist onfand,
þæt se beadoleoma bitan nolde,
aldre sceþðan, ac seo ecg geswac
ðeodne æt þearfe; ðolode ær fela
hondgemota, helm oft gescær,
fæges fyrdhrægl; ða wæs forma sið
deorum madme, þæt his dom alæg.
Eft wæs anræd, nalas elnes læt,
mærða gemyndig mæg Hylaces

Tell me the context of this, no cheating.

What a dope language, why did the French ruin everything

All African and many Arab loanwoards were from the imperialist period anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34

The only Celtic words left in French are agricultural, rural and landscape-related words.

wat

First one sounds exactly like when a Romanian friend of mine reads something in French. Or maybe it's just that his voice is similar to the singer's.

Turned black and lost like 20 IQ points on their average coincidentally.

Black people are 3 to 5% of the French population, and that includes the poulation of the French overseas territories, like Guadeloupe or Reunion.

He chooses two words that are almost the same in modern English, old English, Frisian and Dutch.
Izzard is a moron.

Indeed
It's arabs that are the reason for France's current downfall

Middle French got Dutch'd by Jheronimus Bosch