Are people who hate postmodern architecture simply too low IQ to appreciate it?

Are people who hate postmodern architecture simply too low IQ to appreciate it?

That building isn't bad to look at. It just clashes badly with the surroundings, something prevalent in post modern architecture.

>my taste is objective truth, and further more anyone who disagrees is stupid

Yeah, nah. I don't even care about it, but come on. Maybe you're just an idiot?

what's postmodern about it?

it fucking hurts my head just looking at it

That looks like my electric heather.

Have Zahia Hadid build an entire city, I will have no qualms with it and it will probably be beautiful.
Have her build something in the middle of, say, Vienna or Paris, and I will lose my shit.

What bothers me (and I feel others), with contemporary architecture is not the architecture per se, but rather the bloody cult around mixing old neighborhoods and new buildings, or worse, destroying old buildings to replace them with structures made to purposefully clash with their surroundings.

Paris used to look rather uniform (on the west side anyway), whatever the time period in history the same materials, colours, etc were used. If you couldn't get the same materials, you would try and use the same style as the buildings surrounding. When new styles came around they always followed those principles. Art nouveau buildings fit in, art Déco buildings fit in too, and were often built in groups to give a sense of continuity.

Now the city looks more and more like a fucking patchwork. With architects going out of their way to clash with the surroundings and the styles, and the materials, to show how unique THEIR building is.

I don't mind clashing, I think contrast is very aesthetic, but it makes my blood boil when an old building is teared down. And It happens a lot in shitty corrupt third world nations like mine.

You don't need to live in a corrupt third world nation for that to happen.

I live in a corrupt first world nation, pic related.

Zaha Hadid is a modernist architect, not a postmodernist one.

I was referring to contemporary architecture in general, my bad.
However didn't Zaha design both modernist and post modernist buildings?

Postmodernist architecture is fun, ironic and quirky. Much better than premodernist and modernist architecture that takes itself too seriously.

God that hurts

Are there any neoclassical skyscrapers?

>Have Zahia Hadid build
yeah about that...

London as it stands is really changing. I think it's going to look incredible in the near future.

If life was like a videogame we would have tall skyscrapers designed in the traditional style of each country.

New York City had a few I don't know how many are left.

It's built contrary to the principles of conventional aesthetic.
It's hideous and psueds like to pretend they see some roaring abstract beauty to it which I guess the mere plebs of antiquity are blind to.
I would suspect there is a stronger correlation to be found looking at the relationship between real hatred for postmodern designs and high IQs.
The overwhelming majority of people who claim to enjoy satre or any of the shit that litters the Tate are real pretentious scum.

>It's built contrary to the principles of conventional aesthetic.

Doesn't mean it's postmodern.

The picture in the OP is typical of internationalism and modernism if you ask me.

Now, pic related on the other hand...

people who like that have no spatial IQ, no matter how well they did on SAT Verbal.

Do people who like *contemporary* architecture simply have poor taste?

I sort of like it as novelty, it looks like an alien spaceship crashed.

>not postmodernism

this should have been your image OP

The thing about that example is that the building it was added to was, let's be honest, a bit shit, and the deconstructivist addition made a pretty mundane 19th century building into something interesting. The real problem is when actually good old buildings are torn down/added to carelessly.

Take London as an example, things like OP's image are out of place in an environment of neoclassical/gothic structures, but in other areas of the city (eg Canary Wharf) modernist skyscrapers were used to replace objectively shit areas of the city (Canary Wharf used to be burned out abandoned docks before it was redeveloped) and the modern structures were grouped tightly together in a wholly new street layout etc which avoided the whole patchwork effect

That's a gorgeous building desusenpai.
>mfw the plebs can't see the beauty in the walkie talkie

Are post modernist fans simply to retarded to appreciate real and aesthetic architecture?

You're confusing postmodern with ugly OP. They think it's ugly because its ugly OP, not postmodern. That's not even remotely close to postmodern in the architectural sense for that matter OP.

that looks like a cartoon building where an mean boss would live

Whoever made that should be slowly drowned in pigshit

Postmodernism isn't the problem, the problem is that to break the rules you first need to understand them, something many people who claim to be postmodernists don't understand.

IT LOOKS LIKE ITS FROM FUCKING LAZYTOWN

That one doesn't look too bad.

>her
>she
Found the problem.

Does thinking also produce the same effect for you?

That's kind of the idea, though comically leering and overbearing it still presents itself as an authority.

I've hated that expansion since it was added. That's the ROM in Toronto, had to walk past that thing every day coming home from work, and I loved the museum growing up. I've been inside the new galleries that are inside of that thing, and they're just complete horseshit.
Huge unusable spaces in the point of each crystal and in the upper areas of each "hall", lots of negative space in general, stark white interior, uncomfortable and clinical looking like a goddamn hospital room. The older building isn't amazing architecturally, but it had a homey feeling, and it's a cozy sort of place.
I guess you could argue that all the whiteness and negative space lets the focus fall on the exhibits, but I can't stand all the useless, empty space that's inside of that thing.
But hey, maybe I'm just biased because I loved the dinosaur hall exhibit as a kid, and they got rid of it in favour of that tumour.

>it was supposed to look like a crystal
>they couldn't pick a more aesthetically pleasing crystalline form, instead settling on this ugly nonsensical steel and glass thing
fucking Toronto

pictured: some more aesthetically pleasing crystalline forms

A P ES T E E T I C