Vedic civilisation

can someone redpill me and give me a quick run down on the Vedas?

Other urls found in this thread:

scroll.in/article/737715/fact-check-india-wasnt-the-first-place-sanskrit-was-recorded-it-was-syria
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they were written by white people

Indians aren't white tho

curent indians are mixed with the australoid stock.
but indo-europeans are white, along with sumerians

>forerunners of Hinduism
>beliefs centred around Indo-European ideologies (Dyaus Pita, etc)

>Sumerians
>Indo-European
No. The PIE migration hadn't gotten far enough along by the time Sumer died off. We don't know what the fuck the Sumerians were, they were an isolate.

The initial oral tradition began before significant Indo-European-Dravidian mixing began but the Brahmi script only came about well into the period after said mixture had occurred. So no, they were not written by White people.

They are the oldest sacred texts, collections of instructions for four different priests: singing hymns, chanting prayers, performing the sacrifice, performing the rite of fire and using the drug soma.

They are the oldest foundations for the six orthodox (āstika) schools of Hindu philosophy, and the study of Indoeuropean religion and mythology.

>indo-europeans are white
Not according to the US law. And certainly not according to the British law.

This
And by extremely racist white people at that !
Pic related is from the Rig Veda

>Swarthy skin = black race
kek

Did you even understand what you posted in your screenshots? The brief context gives you what its talking about. And let me tell you again, its not talking about a race of people.

The vedas are several centuries removed from original indoeuros

>swarthy
white wewuzzers never fail to amaze me.
they quite literally play into the leftist notion that race is a mostly cultural concept.

WE

>potentially interesting thread
>immediately degenerates into wewuzzery
Why do I bother coming back to this board

Was Veeky Forums ever good?
I think there was a period of time after the initial chaos when shitposters got tired, and the board actually had some decent conversations, but recently it seems to be swarmed with same retards that browse /pol/ and /int/ (although they both are different kind of retards, but retards nonetheless).

It's hard to give a quick rundown without horribly oversimplying matters, as Vedic literature is the deepest of any religion.

Just read the Bhagavad Gita yourself, it contains the essense of all Vedic literature and then some extra information not found in diferent texts. The gist of all Vedic wisdom is that you are a conditioned soul currently existing within the material ocean of samsara, acting under the false consciousness that he somehow owns something in this world or is some created thing such as his body or his mind. Due to such ignorance, you create various karmic actions and suffer or enjoy as a result. One can gradually cleanse himself of this false consciousness by the process of yoga and the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra, eventually resulting in the individual soul reuniting with God, aka Krishna.

Sumerians were finns. Finn means a person. That is my opinion.

Tantra is superior

>All this heresy
Only the Vedas are valid.

Nah fuck the vedas

Only tantras matter

Just as the Upaniṣads are a part of different Vedas, the Bhagavad-gītā is a part of the fifth Veda of the Mahābhārata. First Krishna divided the Vedas into four, then He explained them in the Purāṇas, and for less capable people He wrote the Mahābhārata. In the Mahābhārata there is given the Bhagavad-gītā. Then all Vedic literature is summarized in the Vedānta-sūtra, and for future guidance He gave a natural commentation on the Vedānta-sutra, called Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam.

Some group of sanskrit speakers ended up as mercenaries in the middle east and conquered Syria. In fact, they produced writing before the branch that went to India did-
scroll.in/article/737715/fact-check-india-wasnt-the-first-place-sanskrit-was-recorded-it-was-syria

They assimilated to Hurrian culture pretty rapidly, but kept giving their kids vedic names for centuries.

I guess what I'm saying is that Out of India is dumb and the culture that produced the vedas developed somewhere between the Pontic steppe and Afghanistan.

HOL UP

>they were an isolate.
there's no such thing as an """isolate""", that's just an academic historians codeword for "i don't know nothin n sheeeeiiiiit"

>Fifth
There are only four true Vedas.

>Further heresy

>heresy
Out of the 7 people in the world who have read the Vedas I dont think you are one of them.

this, tantras are 100% orthodox

>7 people have read the Vedas
What bullshit statement is that?

>Tantra
>Formed in the first millennium AD
>Orthodox

>doesnt get metaphor
>hasnt read any of the things he's arguing about

That wasn't a metaphor. That was just a terrible exageration.

>Indo-europeans being homogenous
>Sumerians being white
wat

Anyway, I really want to learn about vedic religion and its Hindu descendents, but I'm wary of coming at it without contextual knowledge and getting wrong impressions. Anyone in the know think this is a good list of stuff for a beginner?

India: A History - John Keay
A Cultural History of India - A. L. Basham
Hinduism: A Cultural Perspective - David Kinsley
An Introduction to Hinduism - Gavin Flood
Hinduism For Dummies - Amrutur Srinivasan

The wonder that was India is a great good on early India.

Also comparative Mythology works like the ones by Jaan Puhvel can help shine light on interpretation and correlations.

I'd really recommend reading the Vedas directly then interpretations.

Great book*

>The wonder that was India
There are two books by that name, is it the Rizvi one or the Basham one?

Thanks for the recs

By Basham. Sorry didn't realize there were two.

Cheers. That's definitely going on the list!