What IS Ulster-Scots culture? Or "protestant loyalist" culture as it seems to be called these days

What IS Ulster-Scots culture? Or "protestant loyalist" culture as it seems to be called these days.

>inb4 "it's nonexistant lmaoo xxxxDD"

Not looking for "what do protestants like to do" but more so parts of the culture which specifically relate to Ulster-Scots people and their heritage which are commemorated and celebrated today.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fh-MK4L5joc
youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU
youtube.com/watch?v=_pDgMcQtj90
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A big part of protestant loyalism is remembering William of Orange and the significance of the Glorious Revolution that freed Britain from Roman Catholic yoke. It is no coincidence that the most hardcore loyalists founded the organization known as the Orange Order and call themselves Orangemen. On the twelfth of July there are celebrations all throughout Ulster and Lowland Scotland commemorating William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne beginning with massive bonfires the night before or the Eleventh Night as it is known locally.

Their entire culture is not being Irish. That's literally it- and all they need.

What do the bonfires symbolise? Something to do with beacons I heard?

Glorious Revolution isn't really Ulster-specific but I'm glad I know what all that mess is about.

I was more looking for things that are specifically Ulster-Scots, the same way some things are specifically Irish/Scottish/Welsh etc

it's just lowland scots culture, with increased anti-catholic and anti-irish sentiment and a jesus like veneration of william of orange. they also have a major hardon for border reivers.

They may not be Irish but they are certainly part of Ireland. Why do you think Ireland's flag has orange in it?

Then we mustn't forget about the 36th Ulster Division! These sons of Ulster displayed legendary gallantry in the battle of the Somme and won themselves nine (9) Victoria Crosses in the process. It is worth noting that these stalwart Ulstermen were drawn from the Ulster Volunteer Force.

Also yes, beacons.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fh-MK4L5joc

So we have jesus-like worship of King William of Orange and discounted lowland scottish culture, and then some WW1 stuff.

What about music? Sports? Any Ulster Scots in there?

I want to just stick with "the 11th/12th July is Ulster Scots/protestant loyalist culture" but that to me seems like their culture is more or less summed up by one part of a conflict lead by a dutch man which was most relevant to England, which feels a bit cheap.

Pic related. In north Ireland

>what is ulster-scots culture?
Hating Catholics and burning bonfires.

looks fake

Ulstermen are also marked by their zeal for the Presbyterian religion which is unsurprising given that many of their ancestors were mercylessly put to fyre and sworde during the Killing Time preceding the Glorious Revolution. In more recent times, Rev. Ian Paisley distinguished himself as a gifted shepherd of God's people during the troubles with the Fenians.

Irish person here.
Ulster-Scots culture is a mixture of Victorian era and Middle ages ignorance and larping combined with Trainspottting (the film)

Modern Ulster Scots identity is a complete invention. There is no continuity between it and the Lowland Scottish tradition found in Ulster from the early 17th to late 18th centuries.

Poetry is a good way to gauge this, both the Lowlands and Ulster had a very string tradition of vernacular poetry. This tradition completely dies out in Ulster in the late 18th century. It's like someone flipped a switch. When you compare poetry written by Burns, Ramsay, etc. to their Ulster equivalents like Beggs and Herbison, the difference is night and day. Beggs and Herbison write in accented English that modern Northern Irish Protestants have retroactively labelled Ulster Scots.

I'm speaking mainly from a linguistic perspective but it's not limited to just that. It's all of their culture. Architecture, market traditions, even the way they celebrate the Twelfth. It's all modern invention with no basis in history.

There was a genuine Ulster Scots culture that existed in the north of Ireland for about 200 years but it just isn't there anymore. It's a shame. As early as the 1640s you have things like Kirk minutes and trial transcripts encouraging Scottish settlers in Ireland to adopt English speech and customs.

Weirdly enough the closest you can get to that original Ulster Scots culture in modernity is probably found in Donegal. The "Ulster Scots" culture found in Antrim and Down is just a panicked reaction to the growing popularity of Irish culture.

t. Norn Iron Prod who worked for the Ulster Scots Agency for 3 years

>Weirdly enough the closest you can get to that original Ulster Scots culture in modernity is probably found in Donegal.

Really? How is that? My family is from tere and I know lots of people from the North like to go there for a holiday.

bollocks

Ulster-Scots is a language that Ian Paisley made up to get more gibs from Westminster.

Refute him if you can, there is literally fuck all out there about Ulster Scots culture that isn't from far too long ago to be relevant.

All culture seems to be

>muh 12th
>muh orange order
>fuck the irish
>this dialect that is definitely a whole other language

I'd like to see some examples of actual culture.

>I'd like to see some examples of actual culture.

can you read hieroglyphics?

It's quite literally LARPing

top kek

pic related

I'm a born and bred British Patriot, i live in the south of the British mainland.

Fuck. Off.

NEVER

I think it's sort of unfair this whole discussion of a "valuable culture." i'm not anglo, or irish or northern irish, so i have no skin in this game. but to deride ni-ers as "wannabe british" or "anti-irish" and nothing more is to state a truth about the modern day world; there is no "romantic" or "spiritual" or "deep" cultures or traditions anymore. what does it mean, for example, to be american other than having hamburgers and fireworks on fourth of july and opening presents for christmas? to me it seems like the common denominator to all these discussions about cultures of "value" and without is are this-- most people work, spend more of their lives working and have no time to LARP as their culture. Once you reach a level of economic development, what really defines your culture is how you work and how much you work. I'd speculate that southern irish culture is just the same. In a sense there is no "culture" anymore. All alleged "traditions" that anyone in the western world wants to uphold are simply becoming caricatures of traditions because the actual lived traditions of the past were experienced under entirely different economic and social circumstances. Now "culture" is just a matter of showing off you individuality, a ornament to put onto your shelf to admire and look at. The internet and cheap travel have accelerated this process. All you have to do is read this or that on wikipedia to adopt this or that idea totally unrelated to what was originally your "culture." All unique traditions are anything but anymore. All I need to do is go on the internet, find a recipe that in the past only people in your country baked on this or that holiday and, voila, I am just as much attuned to your culture than you are. Perhaps I even know more about your people than you do.

>Weirdly enough the closest you can get to that original Ulster Scots culture in modernity is probably found
Across the pond.

subhumans in the homeland and subhuman in the colonies. Have Ulster Scots contributed anything to the betterment of humanity?

Valuable genetic research on the effects of inbreeding

Integral for research into parasitic organisms

>SHUT IT DOON

This is such a stereotypical Scots Irish look. Fred Phelps, William Sadler and Jim Webb have it too. It looks good on men but not on their women who look like literal manbeasts.

>

You know which type I mean.

KIM DAVIS IS A SAINT.

I'm a Catholic Irish Nationalist living in the north. Honestly I believe those who deride unionist/loyalist culture are just as likely to hold Irish customs in resentment and in essense are nothing but epitome of globalised homo economicus and atomised modern man. It's much more pronounced in parts of the Irish Republic where they're thrown everything in relation to the birth of the Irish state to the wind and invested absolutely in their one god, the global marketplace. Ironically they're the ones who share the most with the likes of the DUP, including a true faith in the British union

Ulster Scots culture doesn't exist.
Protestant Unionist Culture doesn't exist.

The 11th and 12th of July are in theory commemorations of historic battles in a war which was absolutely not inclusive nor wholly centred around Ulster.

Unionism is not a culture. Washed out British Culture is not a new culture. A retarded dialect is not a language. Being against the fenian shitters isn't a culture. Suckling on Paisley's rotting balls isn't a culture.

Ulster Scots is a meme, Protestant Unionists who claim to have an identity or a culture are 100% LARPing.

It don't look good on no one. Pigs don't look good anytime

underrated comment

That shit isn't limited to Scotland and Ireland senpai, 12th of July is still big in North England. Hell I know an Orange boy who plays in one of the bands, they still march through my town every year

>This is such a stereotypical Scots Irish look.

No, this is. Note the wide set eyes and grinch nose. I can literally spot a pure bred prod a mile away, they also have buck teeth and a protruding brow.

>existing outside of Northern Ireland
yes
>big
nah.

Besides it would make more sense for other parts of the Revolution to be celebrated in England, as opposed to the 12th of July, surely?

You'd have a point if Ulster Scots had some degree of continuity, but it doesn't. It pops in and out of existence whenever politically suitable. Most Unionists in Northern Ireland identify as simply "British", not Ulster Scots, or even Irish.

Contrast this with the other nations of the UK, who all identify primarily as English, Scottish, and Welsh, with only non-ethnic Britons identifying with the British label first.

Fact is that Ulster Scots as an identity and {{{language}}} wouldn't exist except for the constant annoying reminder that the unionists' ancestors were settlers on behalf of English armies that conquered the land for them. There isn't much honour in that history, which is why their pride amounts to celebrating about 2 battles in the last 400 years, and a commitment to oppose whatever the Irish are doing at every turn for the sake of it (be it culture, or the Irish language, which predates English).

This anxiety's been dictating their politics for decades, and will only become more pronounced as they become more detached from the mainland culturally (just look at the universal revulsion from every British news and social media platform at the ruling DUP party last month over who they were and what they stand for, and the fact that the general public on the mainland never heard of them before is just as damning)

As well as this, their statelet, Northern Ireland, existed to provide a wedge against the new independent Irish state last century. This is important because, while sad, it seems inevitable that NI was never going to last, between the realpolitik of its creation, the giant money pit its become for the taxpayer, and the changing demographics (the only area where Unionists outnumber nationalists is among pensioners) NI will soon be dissolved.

S
o what will happen to the descendants of these settlers? They may try to find meaning in some aspect of nationalism. Irishness is forbidden, and Ulster Scots is a fabrication. Britishness just betrays their origin as settlers for a power thats cut them loose already, and even at that their vision of England is about 70 years out of date.

In any case I'm just glad I don't have to think about it because I know I'm Irish and in the end we've won.

All I know is that there have been Orange Marches in my town every year on the 12th since I was born mate. Obviously it's not going to be as big as in the hotbeds of it, though we have a lot of Irish and Irish descent here which probably explains it. that being said it's not like it doesn't happen at all outside of Ireland/Scotland

>Use Gael symbolism
>Think Gaelic mythology heroes were Ulster Scots
>think they are the Lost Tribe of Israel
>Use Jewish symbolism
>chimp out over "muh flegs"
>shit tier """music"""
>muh marches
>muh bonfires
>Their """language"""
Ulster-Scot """"""culture""""""" is such a meme.

>>>/tumblr/

t. specky knob jockey

This.

>tfw you realize there is an unbroken tradition of cattle rustling and horsemanship from the Borderlands to the Old West

>Weirdly enough the closest you can get to that original Ulster Scots culture in modernity is probably found in Donegal.
How so?

>Kenneth MacApine
>king of Britain
Iwasn't aware that pictland stretched from the highlands to cornwall, what a fucking joke.

youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

youtube.com/watch?v=_pDgMcQtj90

>the greatest man ulster scots culture has known to produce greatest achievements were genociding natives and having a cheese party
subhuman tier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans

Why are ulster-scots allowed to exist?

>cattle rustling
>horsemanship
>appalachia
Pick one, that's more of an early texas southwest thing desu

By the grace of God.

Kill all Paddy scum

It's not really strange at all when you consider the British Isles', and really all of Europe's, long history of Protestant vs. Catholic strife.

Do you know why they all have the same hideous features? Inbreeding

Houston is a Lowland surname.

Muh heritage

Is there an Ulster Scots equivalent to plastic Paddy?

There are Orange Order Lodges overseas, so yeah I'd say they qualify

They're quite removed from the situation over here though. I was speaking to a couple of guys from a Canadian lodge around the 12th and they were all going on about how it was an expression of their Irish heritage and how proud they were to be Irish.

No because Ulster-Scots identity is not very mainstream.