"battles" are now a dozen or so people shooting tens of thousands of bullets in the general direction of the enemy

>"battles" are now a dozen or so people shooting tens of thousands of bullets in the general direction of the enemy
Gunpowder was a mistake

Only if you're an Arab

I feel you OP.
Most casualties are caused by artillery anyway, not bullets.

Personally I'm happy to be defended by a professional army that operates within society without causing too much scarcity of resources. I don't have to fight, I'm not subject to rationing, I get to shitpost on Veeky Forums while poor people's children fight my wars. It's lovely.

Seriously do people even get shot anymore in combat? I watch lots of war footage and the entire thing just seems to be dudes behind some cover spraying bullets at people the can't even see. This goes on for a long time until air support arrives and blows them up

You mean bombs falling from the sky killing fughters as much as civilians.

This. Airstrikes and artillery kill vast majority of people in any given conflict, movies distorted our view of reality.

>tfw infantry only exist to serve as a metric for judging the effectiveness of artillery and airstrikes in 2017

>Seriously do people even get shot anymore in combat?
Yes.

> I watch lots of war footage and the entire thing just seems to be dudes behind some cover spraying bullets at people the can't even see. This goes on for a long time until air support arrives and blows them up
Arty and air support do most of the killing and maiming. If you're just an ordinary infantryman your chances of ever killing an enemy soldier are pretty slim unless you're in very close proximity to the enemy, like in urban warfare situations like Stalingrad.

no such thing as "battles" now, it's more like small scale operations.

If a world-wide conflict broke out between the likes of Germany, UK, US, France, China, India, etc there wouldn't be anything like trench warfare because technology has advanced to the point that airstrikes fundamentally beat footsoldiers. You wouldn't have lots of infantry in one place, going at it like we saw in the world wars.

Gunfire is extremely aesthetic though.

Just out of interest, what would you say is the role of infantry in modern war?

Securing and holding territory.

Not that guy, but the role of infantry remains much the same; to take and more importantly, hold, ground. An airstrike can kill the enemy but what's the point if you can't then occupy that empty ground with your own troops?

But if they can just get bombed via air power surely that means that the only way to truely hold an area is air superiority?

Make-work for welfare queens. Prove me wrong I know you can't nigga.

Someone have to destroy the AA before the air strike.

unless you can bench 3 pl8 OP your better off with gunpowder

And before that it was disease.
War was never romantic.

An air strike can't force a curfew on non-combatants or harvest resources in a captured territory.

nigga airplanes need to refuel and rearm. even drones can't stay circling around the same place for more than a day or so.

And infantry needs to eat, sleep, shit, etc. What's your point?

to enslave their womans and rape their childrens for morale purpose

It's cheaper, easier and more effective to have men standing on corners forcing your country to do shit compared to planes.

you can eat, sleep and shit in the same place you are holding as a soldier.
aircraft need to fuck off back to an airbase, aircraft carrier, etc to refuel, rearm, and let the pilots rest.

Pretty much this but the scarcity and resources. War today must be more expensive than ever in history

Pain and death will find you eventually.

This. Win hearts and minds

Let's say China has complete control over your country's airspace. No ground presence, just air power. What's to stop you shrugging and going about your life exactly as you did before?

Air superiority is a prerequisite to controlling a country, but it doesn't actually give you control in and of itself.

Not true, infantry exist to hold ground and to manoeuvre other infantry into a position where they can be bombed

Gunpowder was a mistake.

When the White Man brought his Fire Sand to our shores, we were at first amazed. My youngest son, Monuckchuk'wamphlam thought the White Man were medicine men with power to bring fire to all, even during the coldest winters. In reality, the only medicine they brought was death.

Soon, we brought them to our village, known then as Wasquachatowa. He gave them the testicles of the bison, a part reserved only for honored guests and brave warriors. We gave them maize, beans, and squash. When they asked what animal they were eating the testicles of, I pointed to an immature bison grazing nearby. Immediately one of the White Man creeped off of his beaver testicle cushion and shot the bison. He claimed it was a gift, but I saw it as an omen. We mourned the beast and prepared a special testicle stew to honor his death.

Infantry exist because you can't defend a 105mm battery with another battery, and because airplanes aren't very good at defending airports. Also, despite my best efforts, I have yet to successfully employ an artillery piece in urban fighting.

>What's to stop you shrugging and going about your life exactly as you did before?
Being exploded by a dropped bomb?

get on my level infidel.

Americans bombed the shit out of Fallujah, but it was still an occupied city until actual infantry secured it.

Since we're talking about warfare and airstrikes, how destructive barrel bombs are?

No one knows really what a proper 21st century battle would be like. Especially if you consider a no-holds-barred struggle with nuclear and biological weaponry.

The infantry is the most versatile, adaptable and part of any AirLand battle doctrine. Infantry are really the only thing on the battlefield that don't have a hard counter.

Tanks

fpbp

You can't really gauge this accurately because it varies with each bomb, given that each bomb is literally a (usually) metal barrel filled with whatever plastic explosives were lying around at the time. It can either be devastating or negligible.

True but it won't be on a battlefield. Stay mad poorfag.

NSA here. We just placed you on our "first choice" list for any future draft.

> I watch a lot of war footage

The bravery of being out of range

what about rockets/artillery?

Would you prefer to be starved to death in a besieged city then

You forget that our military power underwrites the safety of shipping routes and transnational corporations.

There is no american dominance without the protection of trading routes. Our military makes the wealth possible in the first place.

>tfw all those anti air weapons for infantry barely work

Fuck that shit, planes ruined warfare.

>finally, we captured the base
>*gets bombed back to stone age*
>those planes don't get a single scratch and safely return

I'm fucking glad the serbs shot down that fucking stealth (gay) plane from below. Must have striked fear into burger pilots.

Compared to output? War is cheaper today. People seriously underestimate just how much maintaining wartime trading routes times

Plz go fuck yourself. If WW3 broke out, for some reason, there would suddenly be mass conscription for anybody scared of getting dragged into it.
Land armies would suddenly be mobilized, and artillery do not change that.
If anything, if somebody has war production, one might see completely retarded deployments of ATVs & bikes from some sort of airplanes, because you still need to hold the ground to capture it.
And thats true even for something you almost bomb apart.

Even something like war on Taliban/ISIS is a good example: If you do not secure resources, they can be taken, and hence war will be eternal unless you leave or actually hold them.
And if war is happening, so do stuff like trench building, securing facilities, and mountain factories.

You're just butthurt because your country doesn't have the 1st and 2nd largest air forces. The United States Navy has more planes than the 2nd biggest Air Force.

Except in a real world war scenario you wouldn't see airforces operate with such ease as they do now. Modern AA systems will reek havoc on them. It's not like bombing some ratty terrorists with rusty AK's.

This can be done from the air too

Counter artillery is a thing, guys trained to return fire on enemy artillery pieces with your own artillery.

>In a war you used to be mostly safe except for a few hours a day when you were very likely to die
>Now death lingers over you at all times

>Gunpowder was a mistake
No, nukes are.

We'd still have glorious clash of arms between large armies except the cunts are in a deadlock and therefore have to rely on tiny shitty countries and non-state actors.

Thats because in modern wars, or the modern world, people really dont want to die and human life is valued much more.

If the same battle was taken back to WW2 those infantry would get up and run across the field under fire and storm the position, losing some men but winning.

But nowadays, and im not making a moral judgement, modern soldiers literally wont risk their lives in war.

It's basically
>Find enemy
>pin them down
>call the planes

Thank God Africa is still around to show us how real wars are fought amirite?

u know it