Kowloon Walled City

What was life like in Kowloon? Are there are any good resources that documented this place?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S-rj8m7Ssow
scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1191748/kowloon-walled-city-life-city-darkness
archdaily.com/361831/infographic-life-inside-the-kowloon-walled-city/
youtube.com/watch?v=bKqO6gdJIz8
youtube.com/watch?v=UyU9OLqQ8XA
thepiratebay.org/torrent/8210439/City_of_Darkness_-_Life_in_Kowloon_Walled_City_(1993).pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What was life like in Kowloon?
Probably like your average balkan shithole back during USSR days.

Only cleaner and fresher air in Kowloon.

>Are there are any good resources that documented this place?

There's a German documentary with subtitles on youtube. Be sure to turn them on.

youtu.be/S-rj8m7Ssow

scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1191748/kowloon-walled-city-life-city-darkness

archdaily.com/361831/infographic-life-inside-the-kowloon-walled-city/

Apparently people said they lived pretty well in there despite it being a well known hideout for criminals. Maybe the criminals were afraid the citizens would rat them out so they stuck to themselves. I can't believe authorities in china being anything else than ruthless. Everyone also had mail delivered to their doorstep apparently. Must have been quite a feat to achieve. I wish the hadn't torn it down that place would've been an urban exploration heaven, also just the fact that it's judge dredd irl.

>you will never flirt with a qt chinese girl from your window to hers as she hangs her clothes to dry

It hurts.

>I wish the hadn't torn it down
as much as the place fascinates me and I wish I could've explored it, it's hard to argue that tearing it down wasn't the right decision. the place was a death trap

I despise the tought of living in a city but for some reason I get really comfy while looking a pictures of kowloon.

it's the freedom from oppressive state government and foreign politics, and the semi-tribal familial and communal cooperation humans are meant to have. most of the modern world does not have anything like this and has no love for their community; in kowloon something like that would be natural if not a necessity

>this is what ancapism looks like in real life

I hope you don't mind having 747s passing directly overhead all hours of the day.

youtube.com/watch?v=bKqO6gdJIz8
youtube.com/watch?v=UyU9OLqQ8XA

Worst living conditions in the country basically.

Live wiring, dark, leaking plumbing, no ventilation, tiny apartments, shoddy bathrooms/showers, no police protection from crime

Image how horrible it smelt. Garbage, sewage, human waste, rotten fish, all in that hot humid climate.

Yeah, read ()

Kids used to fly kites that could almost touch them. Actually this is probably one of the least threatening or obnoxious parts of life there

Considering nothing was built to any sort of code, it was definitely a disaster waiting to happen. A fire might have killed thousands, a building collapse could potentially kill hundreds, how the thing survived so long without any kind of serious disaster is really a miracle. Had it been left standing, there would have no doubt been a serious disaster by now.

That shit happened, it was usually mitigated by the modular nature of the design and the materials used.

>WAITING TO HAPPEN
>COULD
Sorry, but it didn't happen, so go cry to you government daddy so he can take your rights away.

"I've been playing Russian Roulette for 10 rounds and haven't blown my brains out yet, clearly that means it's safe, lol statecucks BTFO"

idk why, but there is something so aesthetic about this design structure of low income tightly packed chain of towering buildings all built close together in one area.

how many people do you think once inhabited these series of complexes?

as someone who once lived in an urban complex that fit not even a couple hundred families, to see this and think how many must have lived and knew eachother well enough to call themselves neighbors when really there were thousands of other people living not even a hundred meters away and not know any of them.

In itself its like this complex is its own world. a sort of Narnia if you would.

>You can't exist without government regulation
>What? A city existed without government regulation? W-well, it would have collapsed EVENTUALLY

What about when people get conned?

Not addressing his argument of safety concerns and utilitarian concerns. 'N-NO THAT'S NOT RIGHT' is not an argument.

>don't tread on me reeeeeee
This is Asia. Nobody has ever heard of Libertarianism and if they have they're not going to pay it much heed because Asian Values. Quit projecting

I don't think any anarcho-capitalists want to do away with civil courts and arbitration for exactly that scenerio, even if privatized

He didn't have an argument. His entire premise was "it wasn't built to building codes from a central government, and thus was unsafe". That's not an argument, it's a baseless claim.

I suggest you download this.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/8210439/City_of_Darkness_-_Life_in_Kowloon_Walled_City_(1993).pdf

Population peaked at 50 000. That's 40 people for every square feet of land. Imagine how many customers you'd get running a shop or restaurant over there.

If I ever get put in charge of things, you can expect a lot more places to look like this.

That walkability.

>50,000 packed densely into an incredibly small low-income apartment complex with no structured emergency exits and no regulation of building code
>Around 40 person per square foot of land
>"If there was a fire, a lot of people would be in danger due to lack of safety structures."
>YEAH WELL PROVE IT

...Do you think there's some sort of reason all modern buildings are required by law to provide fire escapes?

Almost as if... almost as if something could happen in the event of an emergency in densely-populated areas...

I don't........ know....... what that is......

Only idiots use terrible analogies as an argument

thank god mine was good then

would you live in Hong Kong

Maybe if I was incredibly rich.
I intend to visit Hong Kong in the near future. I've wanted to go there for a long time.

I mean "only if I were rich" applies to chinese city-states in general, poor in Hong Kong is semi-dangerous and poor in singapore is just straight up boring

It applies almost everywhere.

>this kills the communist

Nah, if I'm poor in canada y'know I'm still poor but I can still get a pint and see show and have an apartment bigger than a closet.
In a chinese city-state you're gonna lose out on at least one of those categories.

Who owns the atmosphere?

Me.

>Walled City
>Isn't surrounded by walls

the japs tore down the walls

I'd personally hate to live in such a place but it does look cyberpunk as fuck

Only if it was still run by the British.

>ywn be FILTH (failed in london, try hong kong)

After Kowloon was demolished, where did all the chinks living there go? Canada?

>I despise the tought of living in a city but for some reason I get really comfy while looking a pictures of kowloon.

It's so oddly comfy even the japs built a Kowloon themed arcade.

we are the walls

Shithole.
>cramped like a sardine can
>everything is makeshift and of poor quality
>unsafe wiring and plumbing, mold everywhere
>no hygiene
>drug addicts and whores everywhere
>everything is controlled by the mob
Basically ancap paradise.

>it's the freedom from oppressive state government and foreign politics, and the semi-tribal familial and communal cooperation humans are meant to have
You're really are fucking deluded if you think that's what it's like. And you sound like typical hippy or libertard.

source on this? that sounds fascinating

By all accounts the people living there have fond memories of the place, and I'll take eyewitness testimony over anons indoctrinated by identity politics any day.

That place basically was a ghetto which had serious sanitation issues and infested with drug dealers, gangsters, outlaws. This was not a hippy utopia and has nothing to do with identity politics. But it had something to sovereignty.

And British colonialism in China.

>What? A city existed without government regulation?
We are not saying it didn't happen, we are saying it's an architectural clusterfuck, and everything else on this list.

>ywn be FILA(failed in london, try Africa )
>ywn be FILI(failed in london, try india)
>ywn be FILSA(failed in london, try south east Asia)

The loss of lifelines us actually a huge loss to the British people

The triads wasn't actually that huge of a problem and the city got rid of them after citizens had enough of their shit. There probably still existed a drug problem but that's just inevitable where there's that much poverty.

>Maybe the criminals were afraid the citizens would rat them out so they stuck to themselves.

"Birds don't shit in their own nest".

It's common among criminals not to fuck with their own neighbours and vicinity. I have spent my entire childhood living very close to the most dangerous street in my city and literally nothing ever happened to me or my parents or their car.

this.