Today is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele

Today is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele.
Half a million men dead, for a few miles of land. The most atrocious battle, ever. Only just out of living memory.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3UPfzGeN4
youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_xzqIRgk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Somme was worse.

Happy birthday for you.
Happy birthday for you.
Happy birthday little battle!
Happy birthday for you.

>The most atrocious battle, ever

Not even close, Keknadian
Be it just on the same theater of WW1, there was Verdun that was thousands times worse

>frog lives matter

>everyone who fought in the first world war is now dead
Jesus fuck my feels

>everyone who fought in the Napoleonic Wars is now dead
I wasnt ready for these feels

>all the veterans of the Punic Wars are dead
Fucking hell.

Yes and no. Passchendaele was so bad because Haig should have known by this point. These men knew what awaited them. Then there are people like Pershing that applaud the Entente for not being cowards.

I meant it more of like "All of the remaining world war 1 veterans died in my lifetime".

don't worry, lads, if you wait long enough they will be reborn

youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3UPfzGeN4

Will the Thebans also be reborn?

unfortunately

Does it bother you that the Thebans destroyed Sparta?

British casualties were around 250,000 and not all of those died. Also, it is not the anniversary of Battle of Passchendaele. It is the anniversary of the Third Battle of Ypres. More specifically the 31st July marks the Battle of Pilkem Ridge. Passchendaele makes up the last two battles of the operation; the first on the 12th October and the second from 26th October – 10th November 1917.

>everyone who fought in the hyperwar is either dead or banished to the phantom zone
god fucking damn it

My great great grandfather was killed at Passchendaele. His son, who would later serve in and survive the second world war was only three months old.

>All the veterans of WW3 aren't even born yet

JUST

Thank god it was mostly Anglos who died.

Can we not be fucking apes for once and actually show some respect for the honoured dead? These were men who were robbed of their lives and youth and sent to die for no purpose or profit whatsoever. And yet they performed their duty with valour and diligence. Shame on those who feel that they can sit in their rooms and disgrace their memory, when they themselves would wither balk at the task or fail the necessary requirements to be called up.

Victory endureth unto Death

grow some thicker skin m8

the lads at the front would shitpost harder than anything on Veeky Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_xzqIRgk

WHO KNOWS.

stupid Europeans

why did they launch a huge and costly offensive knowing that the Americans had just entered the war?

French mutineers were the only guys paying attention.

because Europeans are stupid

No satellites, no phones, no nothing... They only knew it was "possible" to attack here, and they did it. They couldn't know the terrain was bad, the weather was bad, the tactic was bad. Most of the soldiers died without fighting, simply drowning in the mud.
>knowing that the Americans had just entered the war
Irrelevant at this stage, at best more meat for the meat grinder, but the war was mostly over anyway.

>implyin'

>sent to die for no purpose or profit whatsoever
Yeah no that's bullshit. Germany and Austria-Hungary basically pulled a kraut-out and the Entente (and later America) had to fight against their unprovoked aggression. Remember Belgium.