Can we discuss the first Gulf War? (Aug 1990- Feb 1991)...

Can we discuss the first Gulf War? (Aug 1990- Feb 1991). It's something very few people actually take time to learn about. Was the American led coalition justified? Was the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait justified? Also post pics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DkUBrsyxSH0
articles.latimes.com/1990-09-05/news/mn-776_1_military-experts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you grew up as a kid in the 90s it was THE war everyone kept talking about all the time.

After fighting and winning every single one of my battles... I can say I have seen it all and know my shit. Everything was justified by all sides... everything.

Pic very related.

I understand the testimony given by the 15 year old daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador about Iraqi's plundering hospitals and killing babies ended up being false, but did the war crimes and oppressive occupation of Kuwait by Saddam's forces warrant an invasion?

a e s t h e t i c
youtube.com/watch?v=DkUBrsyxSH0

No and no

I was born in 94, and nobody ever really mentioned it in my schooling. Even through college anytime it was brought up professors would just say something along the lines of "it was America going into an easy war they knew they would curbstomp so we could get cheap oil." That's easy to say with hindsight. At the time the Iraqi army looked very formidable, with thousands of tanks and aircraft, and many veteran troops from the iraq-iran war.

So the U.N. should be just let Saddam continue the rape of Kuwait?

Beautiful in the most awesome way

America could have dealt with it alone, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia could have dealt with it. It was unnecessary to assemble some 20 countries to stop it.

Didn't a lot of people both the media, the U.S. military and other sources predict that the war would be very bloody for the Americans with as many as 160 killed a day? I read up from an old article from the LA times that said that 100,000 would be killed or wounded in the first phase of fighting. Around 30,000 Americans could have been killed or wounded, they predicted.
articles.latimes.com/1990-09-05/news/mn-776_1_military-experts

>I was born in 94
Then you didn't really grow up in the 90s did you?
t. 86

>America is world policeman
So why aren't they attacking Saudi Arabia right now over their atrocities in Yemen?

Best war to be an eleven year old boy fascinated by military hardware during.

Based Iraqis! The coalition feared the Iraqi warrior. The Lion of Babylon.

No, sorry I didn't mean for that to sound like I really did. I was just stating that for someone born even 3 years after it I never learned much in school

Because our leaders have been a bunch of pussies the past 9 years

It was expected Iraq would use chemical weapons. For a short while it was reported that one of the scuds that hit Israel had a chemical war head and Israel was going to retaliate with a nuclear strike, the suspected chemical strike was just unspent fuel from the rocket leaking out.
Iraq was merely minutes away from nuclear catastrophe.

The only good Iraqi

>The truths are contradictory. It can be argued, for instance, that war is grotesque. But in truth war is also beauty. For all its horror, you can’t help but gape at the awful majesty of combat. You stare out at tracer rounds unwinding through the dark like brilliant red ribbons. You crouch in ambush as a cool, impassive moon rises over the nighttime paddies. You admire the fluid symmetries of troops on the move, the harmonies of sound and shape and proportion, the great sheets of metal-fire streaming down from a gunship, the illumination rounds, the white phosphorous, the purply black glow of napalm, the rocket’s red glare. It’s not pretty, exactly. It’s astonishing. It fills the eye. It commands you. You hate it, yes, but your eyes do not. Like a killer forest fire, like cancer under a microscope, any battle or bombing raid or artillery barrage has the aesthetic purity of absolute moral indifference—a powerful, implacable beauty—and a true war story will tell the truth about this, though the truth is ugly.

- Tim O'Brien, How to Tell a True War Story

Of course they never used chemical weapons on the Coalition forces. Did they really even intended to deploy them in the first place?

I asked this question because its pretty interesting at what was predicted to happen when instead, they overestimated Iraq's military capabilities. Instead of thousands of coalition soldiers killed, we lost hundreds killed or wounded during the war. Hell we lost over 100 U.S. soldiers from friendly fire incidents.

chocolate chip most aesthetic desert camo tbqh

Poor bastard.

Either that or M81 Woodland.

Or both.

>tfw I used to recreate the highway of death with my toy cars and plastic soldier dudes back in my childhood
Some images are so powerful they'll even filter down to little kids.

Ahhhhh fuck

When it was still happening people called the Iran-Iraq war the gulf war, really desert storm should be called the second gulf war, and OIF the third gulf war

>mfw I'm constipated as fuck

Not sure about the first, but our fuck up of an ambassador sure gave Sadaam mixed signals

My dad fought in the 1st Marine division in Kuwait. He says that he's killed people but he doesn't really talk about it. He drinks a lot these days and my guess is that it has something to do with that.

>He drinks a lot these days
Maybe he just likes drinking dude. I've never killed anyone and I still enjoy a wine every night.

If the gulf war was the only engagement he was in and he wasn't a pilot, there is a very minimal chance he actually killed someone. Marines are also pathological liars about how tough they really are.

I also enjoy drinking, but I don't drink before I go to work.
He served in quite a few other places too, I can't remember everywhere he's been but I know he was in Somalia during the Battle of Mogadishu.