What did Veeky Forums think of Dunkirk?

What did Veeky Forums think of Dunkirk?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk#Retreat_to_Dunkirk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was great. Definitely recommend going to see it in a theatre for the full experience.

It was shit. Wouldn't recommend it unless you watch it somewhere for free.

I'm in the middle of the fence with this one.

It's a good, well made film, but not a very entertaining movie. More like a documentary if anything.

What's it about?

WWI

Not enough french people.

Englishmen running away.

BRAVE ENGLISH RAN AWAY
BRAVELY RAN AWAY AWAY
YES, WHEN DANGER REARED IT'S UGLY HEAD
THEY BRAVELY TURNED THEIR TAILS AND FLED
YES THE BRAVE ENGLISH TURNED ABOUT
AND GALLANTLY THEY CHICKENED OUT
SWIFTLY TAKING TO THEIR BOATS
THEY BEAT A VERY BRAVE RETREAT
BRAVEST OF THE BRAVE, THE ENGLISH!

It was for the most part historically accurate, I did especially note that only the French had a black soldier (likely an Algerian, as that was not uncommon.)
It was also well done as a war movie.

Overall my only complaint was half the characters beings autismos.

pic unrelated

I liked it a lot, but it annoyed me how they only had like 400 people on set for a war. Felt really small for such a massive undertaking. It's a good movie but it's getting really over hyped for some reason.

Thought it was good overall but not great. was pretty disappointed with the scale of the film, there were 400,000 men on that beach in 1940 but in the film it seemed like there were 1000 tops and there were only a few shots with that amount of extras. on one hand im glad they resisted the temptation to use cgi to make huge crowds of britbongs on the beach but i feel like they could have done something different to depict just how big of a chaotic disaster it must have been.
the time distortion was kind of interesting, but i would have liked to see more of the battles taking place around the beach that were holding off the germans throughout the evacuation.
it would probably be very impactful to a british audience since its more in their cultural consciousness and it was one of the lowest points in the war for them but idk.

Amazing film

I didn't understand the kid falling down the stairs and dying. Nobody really gave a fuck about it

*British

british propaganda, hitler literally personally ferried each englishmen across the channel as a gesture of goodwill and the british stabbed him in the back

I think it will lead to some people having fairly mixed up ideas about Dunkirk and the wider evacuation. But it was an entertaining enough film, although slightly ridiculous at times (Spitfire towards the end).

A decent watch, 4-popcorns out of 5.

Enjoyed it just for the tension and terror of a dive-bomber when you've nowhere to run. I love movies that capture just how shit something is.

This was a big letdown, looked at times as if they could fit the entire beach onto a single destroyer.

That's what happens when you leave your bedroom, m8. I spent the whole WWII in my room, had the Home Guard bring me rations and change my piss bottles once a fortnight.

yea that was the most pointless tear bait of the whole film.
he literally just came to die so the other boy could be a "hero" or something later by getting his picture in the paper.
worst aspect of the whole movie.

>400,000
massive

I think he was supposed to be an umbrella character for civilians who died during the evacuation (Not sure just a theory). Still, him falling down the stairs and hitting his head is pretty goofy. Idk why they didn't show civilians getting shot down, probably PG-13 rating

The trailer was better than the movie. As in, the film the trailer sold was not the film we got.

Also high underrepresented all the brave Indian soldiers, women, handicaps, "POC", and transgenders that were in the battle

>mfw civilians sailing the boats were a myth, Navy personnel commandeered the boats

One basic fact that Nolan completely forgot and ruined the movie for me

The boat owners didn't sail them but a lot of the crews were civilians.

Gay ass movie focusing on the Brits while they wait to run away (rather than on the French who were fighting to prevent the Germans from reaching them) because American historical movies must always be about bongs

Also I keep seeing people being sad about there not being a representation of 400,000 soldiers on the beaches. Does anyone know the last movie you saw where there were even near that number of extras? Do you really want them to use CGI soldiers to make up for the lack of actual extras? I know I don't.

The eternal anglo using an ally as shield and running away. Claming victory years later.

Why France no make a movie about Dinant or Stonne then? Like it's our fault!

It was pretty good. It was accurate as far as Hollywood movies go.

People also seem to forget that Dunkirk itself was broken up into a bunch of separate beaches.

>Yes
>No
>Maybe
>What?

>Claiming

>It was for the most part historically accurate, I did especially note that only the French had a black soldier (likely an Algerian, as that was not uncommon.)

I noticed that as well. I thought they got the scale all wrong though, the perspective from the Stuka pilot's biographies I read was that there was much more mayhem than the movie showed.

There was never 400 000 people on the beach dumbfuck, Dunkirk was a pocket with a defensive perimeter and an ordered withdrawal for evacuation. It was not a big crowd of men just sitting on a beach. I haven't seen the movie get though.

>Why France no make a movie

Because we live in an era of US hegemony which means that only Americans (like Nolan) get to make relevant movies

>I did especially note that only the French had a black soldier (likely an Algerian, as that was not uncommon.)

France had very few colonial soldiers in 1940
At the end of WW2 they had shitons of them, but most were recruited between 1942 and 1944 during the Free French campaign in Africa
Also, Algerians arent black

So it's the obligation of the US film industry to make films for a francophone audience?

I,ve seen French movies. Their war movies are just as faggy as ours. Dinner for Idiots was pretty funny tho

No, but it'd be nice of them to stop overrating British history
I can understand why they overrate their own history, but their revisionism in Britain's favor is weird and unwarranted

It wasn't exceptional by film standards, but I'm willing to overlook the flaws because it's a WW2 film with no SJW pandering.

I saw a french movie once about two HS girls tricked into giving blowjobs fro money to the entire school so their boyfriends could have a trip to Tahiti. Fun movie.

Totally over-hyped. There were scenes in the commercials that were not in the film. The aerial combat was great. Otherwise it didn't deliver.

desu i think the film wd be abit dull otherwise. film has to have a usp no? thats the thing? history's often quite boring or messy until people reappraise it and pick bits out. any attempt to be unbiased will fail. plus i dont see why a british director / writer cant make an anglocentric film about this kind of topic. desu i think a francocentric one wouldnt work as well.

French film industry is pretty active though, but they probably wouldn't be able to afford something of this dimension.
They prefer making witty slice of life comedies anyways.

Anyone else think the aerial combat was lacking? You would think Luftwaffe pilots would know more about evasive maneuvers than swinging side to side

In a row?

It wasn't a bad movie.
It was a very cinematic movie

>Anyone else think the aerial combat was lacking?
I though the scale definitely was.
Wow two Spitfires vs a He-111 and two Bf 109s! Although the entire movie was like that.
Wow, four fishing boats passing in front of an anchored minesweeper, so epic.

I haven't lol'd in a long time.

Wtf only the main character sailed his ship, and that because he left the docks before the Navy got to his boat. Other boats were seen sailed by ship crew. How could you have missed that?

They might have been cleaving too hard toward realistic on that front and ended up making it comically under-representative; there is a common conception that the Luftwaffe 'failed' in their mission at Dunkirk, and that might have colored how they approached those scenes.

>yellow noses

Nolan is British though

That's because they were trying to avoid CGI.

It worked.

>implying they didn't leave the Scots behind
>implying half the people evacuated weren't French

>100,000 French soldiers evacuated alongside the BEF

What did they mean by this?

It means that the French were so good in slowing down the Germans that there was extra time left after every Brits had been evacuated, so some of the French could then be saved too

>every brits had been evacuated

how about the welsh?

>Although Churchill had promised the French that the British would cover their escape, on the ground it was the French who held the line whilst the last remaining British soldiers were evacuated.

>Enduring concentrated German artillery fire and Luftwaffe strafing and bombs, the French stood their ground. On 2 June (the day the last of the British units embarked onto the ships),[Notes 1] the French began to fall back slowly, and by 3 June the Germans were about two miles (3 km) from Dunkirk.

>The night of 3 June was the last night of evacuations. At 10:20 on 4 June, the Germans hoisted the swastika over the docks from which so many British and French troops had escaped.[40][41][42]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk#Retreat_to_Dunkirk

I know the movie goes full revisionist and has a Brit remain "for the French" (cant make a movies depicting Brits as too dishonorable amirite) but in real life, the French only started to evacuate after the last British units had fled on June 2

Keep reading that wiki entry. 1 in 7 of the BEF were left behind and captured. Not every brit was evacuated.

>but i would have liked to see more of the battles taking place around the beach that were holding off the germans throughout the evacuation.

This. I think it was an interesting film that was relatively well done. However, if you're looking for a typical Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers war film then maybe it's not for you.

Things I thought were neat/different:

* Time distortions and jumps
* The lack of dialogue. They really let the scene speak for itself many times.
* Setting that let the audience see the overall feeling of helplessness and experience the taste of defeat.
* Visually/cinematography was great. Exceptionally cinematic.

Things I didn't like or thought were missing:

* The French defense. I understand that changes the scope of the film, but it would have been nice to see what let the evacuation happen.
* The scale seemed pretty small. It looks like no one here wanted to see CGI, but I wouldn't have minded one grand scene that encompassed all the goings ons at the same time.
* The air fights themselves were alright-- except it seems every German fighter pilot sucks balls. I'm not sure how many planes were active from both sides, but it seems like this scale was rather small as well.

Overall it's worth a watch. Everyone saying that it's a must see in the theater: meh. I enjoyed watching it in a theater, but you can enjoy it at home.

Great movie, director acknowledges the few historical inaccuracies he made for the sake of the film (German fighters having yellow-painted noses, etc)

>American historical movies must always be about bongs
Are you retarded?

They have a strong tendency to overrate bongs
Just look at WW1 cultural products recently (BF1, Wonder Woman...)
Always about bongs despite the fact they werent the most relevant allied nation in that war

Anti-German Zionist propaganda meant to demonize Greater Germany.

>main character wasn't a colonial soldier
Dropped

You're generally right, but it's an Anglo movie, not an American movie.

Did you guys see that Guardian Article about it?

Been thinking about watching it, only WWII movie thats come out recently that I kind of enjoyed was Hacksaw Ridge and even then it had its WTF moments.

>tfw we'll never get a The Longest Day tier epic showing all sides of a battle