Has anything in history ever been as epic as Lord of the Rings?

Has anything in history ever been as epic as Lord of the Rings?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien's_influences
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the bible

Amen

>the world gets saved by a beta manlet
Now who would write such a thing

I hope this shitty series dies out and is forgotten within the next 10 years

5'9 is a fairly decent height for a person during that time. Also characters like Aragorn are relative giants who stand at like 6'6.

Siege of Minas Thirith is literally the siege of Vienna 1683

world war 1 and 2

>I hope this shitty series dies out
Its already been 10 years.

5'9" is average male height. As for him being beta, well, he at the Somme in World War One - which actually, by my definition, does make him beta (generally what is alpha is to avoid nationalistic warfare), but I doubt that's what you meant by beta.

*fought at the Somme

wtf I hate LotR now

t. manlets

>World is in disarray
>Factions fight for dominance in the world
>Some scrawny guy emerges, ends all wars and starts a great time of peace and prosperity
My nigga Augustus was Frodo and Aragorn combined.

>Roman empire
>prosperity

I honestly don't know shit about LotR but I came here to post Sobieski's charge. 20,000 horsemen led by a few thousand hussars.

My dick

If there is any scene filmed that can at least vaguely resemble how it must've felt, its this one

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs

not really, civilization as a whole has never faced a threat quite like Sauron, though we may soon as technology advances

The Russian Baltic Sea Fleets journey during the Russo-Japanese war is perhaps even more epic that Frodos journey.

Except the literal inspiration for Sauron of course. Hitler.

deal with it

The Lord of the Rings had no direct allegories, Tolkien hated the use of allegory, and he explicitly denied any parallels that readers found between events in his works and events that transpired in real life. Fuck off.

>Sauron
>Hitler
how

it faces one right now

>muh climate change
Fuck off libcuck.

>korea is unified
when did best korea win the war?

>implying the Paris climate agreement isn't utter bullshit that screwed over America

Hello Mr President

>China and India signed it
>biggest polluters and oxygen destroyers
>they don't get punished

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Iliad, World War II and World War I and Alexander the Greats conquest of the Eurasia.

>oxygen destroyers
wat

Roman empire was objectively a decline, the only "progress" was territorial expansion.

They might be biggest just based on country, but not per capita. a lot of the pollution is industrial but not air pollution anyway, they dont have 1.2 cars per person or anything
regardless china and India are such shitty countries you'd really struggle to enforce anything there anyway

All these enviromental regulations are always targeting white countries and only white countries. Notice how Germany got completely cucked out of nuclear power thanks to decades of treehugger lobby. Can you imagine something like that in China?

getting out of nuclear energy was a domestic decision in Germany
I don't really see what it has to do with international treaties

Whether the pressure come from home or from abroad is irrelevant, it's only ever targeting whites. China is building 30 more nuclear plants while Germany and Austria are getting cucked to oblivion with their shitty wind farms.

I am not really sure what you are proposing.
Shouldn't German people be able to choose democratically if they want nuclear energy or not?

What year is LOTR set in?

Could it have been true?

i wish that tolkien expanded the history of the world more after lord of the rings. i want to know more about far harad.

No, the Germans have been cucked by decades of (((their))) influence and are now only capable of national acts of self-destruction. China hasn't had that yet and will inherit the future because they don't want to destroy their own people.

>(((their)))
you mean jews, right? Can you provide any evidence that there are Jews in Germans Green Party?

I think 8000 BC or something

Not the user you just replied to, but have you never heard of Daniel Cohn-Bendit and other jews who infest Green parties in Europe?

The Punic Wars. Probably favorite subject. One by one every major power fights Rome and loses.

In his 1975 book Le Grand Bazar, he described himself as engaging in sexual activities with very young children at the kindergarten. In 1978 an edition of Pflasterstrand, an alternative magazine Cohn-Bendit edited, described being seduced by a 6-year-old girl as one of the most beautiful experiences the author had ever had.
Fucking hell, why are all jews pedophiles?

Yeah just as imaginary as lotr

hahahaedgytipsfedorahahaha

Not him, but even excluding all the divine/magical aspects of the Bible:
>Jews claim to be slaves in Egypt for numerous centuries despite Egyptians not having a single record of that
>Jews claim they arrived in Canaan from elsewhere while all of archaeology, history and genetics confirm their ethnogenesis actually happened in Canaan
>Jews claim King Solomon was one of the most respected and well-known monarchs of the early iron age while in reality nobody outside of Judea has ever heard of him
>Jewish Thanakh claims Samaritans are just Assyrian wewuzers while genetic research confirms they're in fact the original Israelites
Etc. The Bible is full of bullshit.

have you never watched original Godzilla?

The inhabitants of Samaria/Samerina, who agreed [and plotted] with a king [hostile to] me, not to do service and not to bring tribute [to Ashshur] and who did battle, I fought against them with the power of the great gods, my lords. I counted as spoil 27,280 people, together with their chariots, and gods, in which they trusted. I formed a unit with 200 of [their] chariots for my royal force. I settled the rest of them in the midst of Assyria. I repopulated Samaria/Samerina more than before. I brought into it people from countries conquered by my hands. I appointed my eunuch as governor over them. And I counted them as Assyrians.

—Nimrud Prisms, COS 2.118D, pp. 295–296

the inhabitants of Samaria, the capital, in other words not the entire population. the assyrians and later the babylonians didn't remove the entire population.

Final Roman-Sassanid featuring Heraclius and Khosrau is easily better.

>generally what is alpha is to avoid nationalistic warfare

Sauron was inspired by the Ottoman Sultan. Entire LOTR timeline is basically a fantasy adaptation of the conflict between islam and Christian western civilization.

>Orcs
Turks. Originally corrupted elves, much like many people in the Ottoman empire were Anatolian Greeks and Balkanites who got corrupted by Islam and Turkish culture.

>Minas Ithil / Minas Morgul
Constantinople / Istanbul. A city famous for its magnificent walls and withstanding numerous sieges, it eventually fell to the enemy and became corrupted.

>Minas Tirith
Vienna. The forces of the west finally unite in order to turn the tide of the war and snatch victory from the mouth of defeat. You can even make a parallel between the Rohirrim and the Polish hussars.

And Gandalf is quite obviously an allusion to Jesus Christ.

Minas Tirith would be Rome. Minas Tirith and Minas Ithil were sister cities/fortresses so it makes more sense.

He supported Franco in the Spanish civil war

Fuck that racist sexist bigot

See Tolkien drew inspiration from his life experiences but repeatedly denied any direct parallels and even actively attempted to avoid them. It's admirable that he tried to create a story that really was his own, with themes and inspiration but not made as direct commentary on real world events.

>And Gandalf is quite obviously an allusion to Jesus Christ.
Demonstrably false, Gandalf was based heavily off of Odin and myths of wandering figures in European folklore. Frodo is far closer to a Christ figure in terms of actions and morals, but once again there is no direct allegory. While the morals of LOTR were heavily inspired by Tolkien's Catholic background, he made of not making the story a literal biblical allegory.

>an ardent Catholic with romanticist morality supports a reactionary Catholic general against communists
Shocking.

He drew from a lot. This is a very simplistic and opinionated comment on your part.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien's_influences

he made a point* of not making the story a literal biblical allegory.

Frodo should have been a girl. Would have improved the story dramatically.

I hate this argument about allegories and it's always the first thing plebs mention. What he claimed he was doing and what he was actually doing are two completely separate things. Plus he annoyedly said he hated allegories just to shut up people who kept sending him letters asking IS SAURON REALLY HITLER and shit like that.

I love this meme

>What he claimed he was doing and what he was actually doing are two completely separate things
There is not a single piece of evidence for this anywhere, in any private correspondence or otherwise, and to claim as much is just to be spouting bullshit to make things bend to your own views.

>a wandering teacher-like figure sacrifices himself to save his followers and is reborn as a divine warrior-like figure with shining white hair and long robe
That has far more to do with Jesus than with Odin. But it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he got inspired by both.

There's admission in his own writings that Shire is basically a fantasy version of England.

>Frodo is far closer to a Christ figure in terms of actions and morals, but once again there is no direct allegory.
Frodo is probably more directly inspired by Frothi (Who does get sometimes upheld as kind of a precursor-Jesus in some of the more Christianized Norse stuff) than Jesus directly.

Yes, he drew inspiration from the real world but did not mean it as direct allegory. No shit the Shire's heavily based off of an idealized England, that doesn't mean it's a direct allegory to historical events that occurred in England's history or its political situation at the time.

Allegory and allusion are two different things retard.

Why yes, who ever said that he didn't have illusions to things? The original line of argument here was that while he denied allegory, he secretly put it in anyway. Which is bullshit.

>confusing allusion and illusion
You're too retarded to even live.

Hobbits reach maturity at 33, the years Jesus lived. This reinforces the idea that Frodo is more likely to be inspired to Jesus than Gandalf

The LOTR saga also shows clear signs of romanticised ruralism vs blind industrialisation, think of the Shire, the treefolk, against mass produced orcs with siege engines, blacksmiths, smog

That was a typo, I was even noticed it after I hit submit. Doesn't change anything in regards to the core argument though.

Lord of the Rings is a terrible franchise. Who even likes that shit? Over rated boring crap, it's unbelievable amount of bullshit. Every single character, every single scene, it's basically something that got literally pulled out of a highschooler's fantasy notebook. Even I could have come up with a better, more believable story. It's not epic, it's retarded, ridiculous. I can't grasp how anyone can like that shit.

>typo
>two letters that are 7 keys apart
>completely changing the meaning of the word
Sure thing brainlet.

I like Conan the Barbarian / Hyborian age way more than LOTR. While the lore is more shallow, it also focuses on more realistic personal stories with the protagonist always striving to just get more cash, bitches and booze, instead of grandiose wankery about saving civilization.

Is this bait?

t. Brainlet

>not liking a hideous piece of fiction makes me a brainlet
There's so much to hate on LOTR. The first movie starts out telling the viewer practically the whole story with a narration that lasts 10 fucking minutes, the plot itself being completely nonsensical and simply arbitrary shit anyone could have come up with. Then there are some 50 minutes of a wizard talking to a manlet about trivial things, then another 3 hours of a young nobody on le epic journey with le powerful ring, running from le evil dark knight of evil and darkness, facing terrible dangers like orcs and avalanches, wow! I could go on infinitely about every single flaw of the movie, but the point is that it's just someone's inner fantasy world, it's a piece of fiction that has no meaning, it's on par with Harry Potter in the sense that it's primarily meaningless trash liked by an audience of ages between 8 and 12. Maybe you like LOTR because you watched it when you were still a kid and that's just the nostalgia effect, that's fine, but if you watched the movie as an adult (or if you simply don't cling to your childhood's stupidity) you can tell it's just complete garbage.
Your taste is bait to shit like LOTR.

>Only experience to LOTR is the movies
You have no ground to stand on, and even then your taste is monumentally shit.

>being this illiterate
You probably thought Beowulf was shit too

>movie
Stopped reading there.

Have you never heard of an "epic"?

>Veeky Forums confirmed for reddit trash getting baited by the stupidest shit
Someone should post the Sardinia screenshot too

It's a pasta newfags.

Ashoka's campaigns.

Roman history from Caesar's birth to Augustus' reign.

Heraclius' life and the Byzantine-Sassanian wars in particular. Your average Roman probably thought it was the end of the world, and Heraclius somehow brought them back from the brink.

The first crusade.

The third crusade.

Alexander Nevsky's life.

WW2 unironically.

I've probably left some worthy things out because my particular interests are Orthodox-Romano-Byzzaboo. This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Bronze age collapse.

Bronze age collapse is like Mad Max but in real life. A catastrophe so brutal it literally reduced great civilizations into a bunch of tribal retards who didn't even know to write.

i love Veeky Forums because they are cute and naive

Restrictions are lighter on developing countries the rationale being that "developed countries already polluted before there were any restrictions, and moved on to the tertiary sector so developing countries gotta be allowed their chance too"

Well that's retarded logic

Well without this compromise the deal would never work, because developing countries rely on industrial production a lot more than developed countries, who rely more on services.

Tolkien was a hardline Catholic, a traditionalist, a conservative luddite. His work shows these biases and his experiences with industrialised warfare in WW1 and WW2, as well as against Hitler.

This is what pagans actually believe lmao. LOTR is Christian, LARPer

> names from pagan mythology
> christian

TA 3001 - 3021

While Tolkien himself entertained the fiction that Lord of the Rings was set on Earth in some forgotten past, there's really no time period it would "fit". The best you could say is that it happened before the last Ice Age, but then you have to explain the total lack of archeological evidence of it, and of course the massive plothole of potatoes and tobacco existing in the setting.

How the hell are china and India developing countries?? Also because they are "developing" this gives them the right to dump dead pigs into a cities water supply with no reproductions?