Could we hold a serious discussion on pre-colonial Africa that doesn't involve memes and /pol/ baiting...

Could we hold a serious discussion on pre-colonial Africa that doesn't involve memes and /pol/ baiting? I'm mildly interested on the history of pre-colonial Zimbabwe and it's neighbors.

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2014-02-western-eurasian-genes-southern-african.html
newscientist.com/article/dn24988-humanitys-forgotten-return-to-africa-revealed-in-dna/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

niggers are subhuman

Africans have accomplished nothing worthy of noting.

Quality start boys really shinning that /his intellectualism

Mildly interested? Well I'll keep it short (currently getting my MA in African History so I can ramble). Essentially Zimbabwe actually used to be arguably the most agriculturally and technologically advanced African nation prior to colonization - known to it's neighbors as Menth'ol (a Dat'Ass word for "generous"). Most interestingly they practiced a decentralized government wherein every local man was elevated to king prior to their invasion from bongobongoland.

I hope that helps.

Honestly, pre-colonial Africa is the only part of African history that actually interests me. Everything after that is "and then whitey came and ruined everything, forever."

Memes aside, very little is actually known because of the lamentable lack of literacy there. We have some (extremely biased and one-sided) Arab accounts, and some (equally biased and one-sided) early colonial accounts, but what the natives themselves thought about their pre-colonial states is lost to the mists of time.

were Arabs racist to Africans too?

What is any of this based on? What text?

What a stupid question
>Not realizing that nobody like each other back then
Arabs hated whitey to.

It's the collected knowledge of several dozen mixtape/CDs handed out by local oral historians/traditions

Yes. To be fair everyone was "racist" then. However there are many arab quotes denigrating Africans in addition to their widespread enslavement/castration.

>oral historians/traditions
So make believe, gotcha.

>inb4 nuh-uh

Other than the word of some dude what would you say backs up the claims?

Dude he is clearly trolling, look at the words

best African civilization coming through

>origin of human migration out of Africa, and coffee
>developed own writing system
>Christian since the 4th century
>in late antiquity, became rich and powerful thanks to location between Indian Ocean and Mediterranean
>major commercial crossroads; exporter of fine materials like gold, ivory, and emeralds (and salt) - Aksum was well known to Romans, Persians, and Indians
>wuz actually kings, and could into widespread coinage and stone architecture (i.e. pic related)
>kind of irrelevant from Middle Ages to 19th century, but generally remained independent
>defeated Italian invaders, and then started to modernize in 1910s
>resisted colonisation until the 1930s, and only then was ruled for less than a decade
>last emperor is still worshipped as the son of God by a sect of stoner Jamaicans

Other than ancient and medieval North Africa, about all I know is Ethiopia's Christian tradition. It's some fascinating shit. Cut off by the Muslim world, Ethiopia's ancient church survived and thrived completely independent from European influence. Modern Ethiopians are fiercely proud of their religious tradition.

>Could we hold a serious discussion on pre-colonial Africa that doesn't involve memes and /pol/ baiting?
No

You are an asshole.

First contact between the Portuguese and the King of the Kongo in the 16th century.

Pic related was not seen as a humiliation at the time, though now it is touted by black nationalists today as such. Prostrating yourself before a monarch was very much the norm for Europeans.

The Portuguese took slaves and invited several Kongo nobles back to Portugal, where they quickly converted to Christianity and convinced the King to as well.

>be King of the Kongo
>adopt the title 'Afonso I' and your own coat of arms

I forget Euroboos were a thing before the modern era too

Afonso I, his son was Bishop of Utica (near Carthage)

>origin of human migration out of Africa

No, that would be Kenya. If you meant "place early humans went thru on their way out of Africa", still no, that would be Somalia and Egypt. Ethiopia is mostly mountains, which of course is how it was able to preserve it's culture so well, and how it was able to resist the Colonial empires so effectively.

I took two courses in African history, and the amount of damage control involved in each was embarrassing.

The standard way of discussing an African "civilization" was to take things that would be barely worthy of a passing mention in other civilizations due to their banality, and hold them up as some great feat- e.g. "look at the pottery sculpting of these people, look at how much cattle these people possessed"
Also the incessant need to make favourable comparisons to Europe- "This city was twice as large as Paris in 1300"

you spelled Rhodesia wrong.

superficial things as meaningless as europeans prostrating themselves before the king

Ugh. That's as bad as /pol/ack shitposting. Why the comparison? Why the constant need for validation? The culture, practices, and history of a foreign people can be fucking fascinating without and injection of modern virtue and white guilt. Igbo people used to do shit like this to their face. Look at that trippy shit! I don't give a fuck about modern parallels, the individual's intellect, or how he stacks up with contemporary Europeans. Just LOOK AT HIS FUCKING FACE! Does that not, in and of itself, make you want to know more?

What city was twice as large as Paris in 1300? Genuinely curious.

The depopulation of European cities in this time was fascinating though. Rome went from 1 million in 100 AD to 20,000 in 600 AD. Rome's population only returned to its previous state by 1900s.

There were some pretty interesting empires.
Ethiopia(Aksum)
Sokoto caliphate
Egypt
Morocco(moorish)

That's Egypt, but for being half nigs they are be far the best below the sahara.

Khoisan went all the way to Asia and then back to southern Africa before the end of the last glacial period. Up there with abos for archaic humans.

There is no such thing as half-nigs. One drop rule.

>a decentralized government wherein every local man was elevated to king
See, even Huey Long was appropriating black culture!

Stop embarrasing yourself and your country.

Why did they stop? Is that a cultural leftover from when West Africans migrated from the Sahel/East Africa? Hell, Bantu people (originally from Nigeria but have since moved away from West Africa) are more related to Nilo-Saharans from East Africa and they sure as hell don't do that. Well, maybe a few ethnic groups do, but I wouldn't know.

Scarification is interesting.

They also went to Europe too.

phys.org/news/2014-02-western-eurasian-genes-southern-african.html

newscientist.com/article/dn24988-humanitys-forgotten-return-to-africa-revealed-in-dna/

Seems the other way around, a group of Anatolia/west asian pastoralist came there passing for Ethiopia and settled there farming goats and cows and breeded with the locals.Sounds like the tipical R1b thing.

>Polock posting
>A bad thing.

Pol was right again.

>Empires

Ok

They are no nig. We've been over this time and time again.