Suppose you're starting crypto trading right now. Which coins do you buy?

Suppose you're starting crypto trading right now. Which coins do you buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

pbg-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/editorial/pbo/201708/20170817-pbo-monthly.pdf
presale.etherparty.io/a/812Z6mw2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wouldn't know if I was just starting

Initially I thought to shill my ARK and OMG bags, but you would have had better gains if you started 2 months ago
My best advice for you is to keep an eye out on Veeky Forums for buys that no one's paid attention to yet, and to use your business sense to determine if it's gonna grow in 1 month/6 months/1 year

>to determine if it's gonna grow in 1 month/6 months/1 year

But how? To a newfag like me, all those coin prices look as predictable as weather.

Newfriend here as well. Just learning this stuff. From biz people seem to talk good about ripple, cat, perhaps Bnb. Not sure though. Starting off with $500 in btc and I'm trying to figure our what to invest in rn

trust yourself, pray to your gods, I was you two weeks ago

if you're new don't listen to anyone on here, 99% are just shilling the coins they own

if I was just starting though I would just do safe bets like BTC, ETH

I've got a guide that I post for newfriends. Do you want me to share it?

And where are you know? Any gains so far?

zrx

I wouldn't fucking own the coin if I thought it wasn't going to moon.

To answer OP: omisego. Safest long term profit in crypto this side of just holding bitcoin.

I'm not the quoted, but I'd like to see it.

Mooning any day now. Thank me later.

BAT.

Part 1

So, before you get into Crypto you're going to want to know that it's like the wild wild west of investing. The vast majority of the market is driven by speculation and promises of software delivery, as opposed to actual product, so you should anticipate violent fluctuations in your portfolio on a daily basis.

Here are your initial steps:

1. Create an account on Coinbase.com
2. Create an account on Bittrex.com
3. Download the smartphone app "Blockfolio"

Once you have these things done, look online for a bitcoin wallet. A wallet is software that stores your cryptocurrency values, i.e. where all your investments are going to be stored. For bitcoin, I prefer using electrum- it's simple and intuitive. So download electrum; installation should be pretty straightforward. Save your password (and your other wallet passwords) on physical pieces of paper OR you can use a software called Keepass, which is pretty useful when you have multiple wallets with long passwords.

Once you have your BTC wallet set up, you're going to want to go to Coinbase and buy Bitcoin with a credit/debit card. You'll have to establish your card as a method of payment first, pretty straightforward. Once you have BTC in your account (your bank might throw a fit first, because to them using your funds to a cryptocurrency trading site is sketchy), send the BTC you have to your electrum wallet. The address you send to is the long string of characters you see in Electrum under "Receive" tab. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the address is correct, or else that BTC is gone. Once the BTC is deposited into your electrum wallet, go to your bittrex account -> wallets -> click on the + sign for Bitcoin, copy the address for that wallet (another long random collection of characters), go to Electrum -> send to that address you see on Bittrex

Binance is set to start charging BNB transaction fees starting tomorrow, driving the demand for BNB way up. Buy BNB today!!

How can I be less gullible when ppl are shilling?

How much should I focus on short vs long-term investments? It seems like I would need to be staring at a computer all day to make short term gains

Part 2

The more interesting part about all this is picking what coins you want to invest in. In the cryptocurrency space, there are two types of coins: mainstream, stable coins (BTC, ETH, LTC) or smaller, riskier coins known as alt coins that have higher potential returns. When constructing their portfolio, a lot of people like to go 50% stable coins, 50% alt coins. I personally went 100% alts because my portfolio money is money I would have used gambling, but I quit gambling after a particularly bad run in Vegas earlier this year.

Investing in stable coins is pretty straightforward. I would consider picking ETH as your stable coin, because of it's massive growth this year- it indicates that it'll be over $1000 in 1-2 years, which is a nice and steady 2-3x return on your investment. Investing in altcoins, however, is far more interesting. My general guide for picking alts is browsing the Veeky Forums catalog and seeing what's shilled, then going to the website for each alt coin and reading their whitepaper/what their coin does and what it plans to do. I then go to reddit and find the subreddit for that coin and read the general information posts they have on the coins there, then I check twitter for tweets on that particular coin, and finally I look up youtube videos for each coin. Veeky Forums is about 50/50 on shilling good coins; NEO, OMG, ARK, IOT, XMR have all been excellent buys. But for each good buy Veeky Forums shills there are also slightly bad buys (BNT, CFI, RDD, XVG, DGB) and also some absolutely awful buys (MYST, KIDSCOIN). It all comes down to your own research and very carefully picking the right coins.

Part 3

Once you know what you want your portfolio to look like, go to Bittrex, go to the BTC markets, enter the symbols for the coins you want to buy and open a buy order. This process should be fairly intuitive but if you're having difficulty google a couple youtube tutorials for buying on Bittrex. Once your buy orders have filled, make sure to download wallet software for each coin you purchased and move your coins from Bittrex to the wallets; DO NOT LEAVE THEM ON BITTREX because on Bittrex your coins are only listed as IOUs instead of coins you actually own and you will not have actual ownership of said coins until they are securely in their respective wallets. Once your coins are in your wallets, check out blockfolio and add the coins + quantity so you can track their price over time. Good luck!

CAT and ETH though might be smart to wait on a dip for CAT as its up quite a bit today

Blockchain Basics

Transactions are encrypted messages that are broadcast into the Bitcoin network. The network is a peer-to-peer system, similar to Bittorrent. Transactions only specify a Bitcoin address and transfer of ownership of bitcoins is via these addresses.

Every ten minutes a bundle of transactions, called a block, is verified through a process called mining.

Mining is a process that involves trying to figure out the encryption key used on the transaction using brute force. A block is considered mined when the key contains a signature that the system is looking for called the target difficulty. For example, the target difficulty could be the last 20 bits of the key has to be 0. On average over time, a computer would have to generate at least 2^20, or about a million, keys. Once a key that meets the target difficulty is found, it's added as a proof of work.

Once a block is verified, it's grouped into block chains, which are added to a public transaction database. This data based is shared across the Bitcoin network.

For every block verified, the miner gets 12.5 bitcoin as a reward. This is also how new coins are added into circulation.

Once block chains are verified, they cannot be changed without redoing the work. And as long as honest nodes who are verifying blocks are outpacing those who are trying to attack the system, then the system remains stable. This led up to something of an arms race, where people would develop customized chips designed to compute the algorithm. Every so often, the target difficulty is adjusted so that the process of mining keeps the 10 minute target time.

Cryptocurrency like Bitcoin isn't actually legal tender, and the majority of businesses won't actually accept it. Still, it does carry value. Which is what makes it a potentially lucrative speculative investment.

Thanks

>if I was just starting though I would just do safe bets like BTC, ETH

Started with cryptos last week and this what I did. However, their prices have been stagnant, and I've even lost some money because of falling BTC. But I don't know, will ETH and BTC actually cost much more in the future than now?

It's gonna fluctuate but will ultimately go up

We're not gonna see a big crash for a while, I think. We're on the precipice of mass adoptions; the normies all know what Bitcoin is

>But I don't know, will ETH and BTC actually cost much more in the future than now?
I feel more confident about ETH than BTC right now for the short term. You have Metropolis coming in just a bit over a month and that should pump the price. You'll also be able to get some free coins from that fork assuming you don't leave your ETH on something like coinbase like an idiot.

You want a coin that isnt really heard of by the majority of this board and has extreme potential to +500% over the next 6 months-1year? BlockCAT. CAT on etherdelta. Shitty exchange, which is why its still relatively unheard of. I'm shilling this to you because there are only so many of this coin in circulation forever, therefore in my opinion the more people that know about it = the more it's value is likely to increase.

>But I don't know, will ETH and BTC actually cost much more in the future than now?
Both are experiencing diminishing returns. I expect BTC to finally level off in the next few years, $10,000 is the absolute limit on te price this decade.
Ethereum probably has one last good run in it. What is it now? $500? Ethereum will by the end of the decade surpass BTC in total market cap but because of its larger supply should stabilise at around $3500.

>not sending from coinbase directly to bittrex
Why tell new anons to pay more fees than they need?

>a coin that isnt really heard of by the majority of this board
>BlockCAT
laughing.jpg

>DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN BITTREX

W-what does that mean? What's the possible danger if I leave them in there?

Yeah, I should adjust that part

It's just not nearly as secure as having them in a wallet. Would you prefer to store your gold ingots in front of a window, in plain view facing the public street or in the heavy duty safe in your basement

Got em

More likely to get hacked and there's always the risk of an exchange going under/running off with the money. Already happened to plenty of exchanges.

>not knowing how shilling works

hi welcome to Veeky Forums, hope you enjoy your stay this week

Solid top: ETH NEO BTC
Solid bottom: IOTA OMG
Wild Ride extra's: Sia, Xel, Dnt

dnt doesnt rly looks like it's going anywhere

>You'll also be able to get some free coins from that fork assuming you don't leave your ETH on something like coinbase like an idiot

Can you explain why leaving eth in coins is a bad idea?

You'd have to be retarded to not get into OMG right fucking now.

Read this explanation in a 3000$ subscription magazine by a writer who backed ETH very early on:
pbg-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/editorial/pbo/201708/20170817-pbo-monthly.pdf

There are some rumors about an apple partnership (I believe them to be completely unfounded). Regardless of them, this is still one of the safest investments that you can make. Just hodl until Q12018 and you'll see

you just gotta do it man. I started recently, you jsut gotta jump in and you'll get the feel for it. All my gains are in BNB, but im up almost 30%.

When hard forks happen they choose one chain and stick with it instead of giving you coins for both chains like you would have if you kept control of your private keys.

NEO below 900k sats
OMG below 180k sats
ETH below 300$
BTC below 4k$
MCO actually looks like a good buy at it's current price, shoot for 250k-270k sats
Don't buy high or close to 24hr highs
Don't buy coins that already mooned
Would stay far the fuck away from XRP and SC
just my 2 sats

>dont buy coins that already mooned
>lists neo and omg

He clearly meant that had mooned and not stabilized yet. Otherwise noone would ever even buy BTC or ETH.

I have so little that if a transfer what I got in Bittrex to my wallet and then again to the exchange, I would be loosing like 30% of my money.

how do I avoid losing $ with all the back-and-forth from my wallet to exchanges?
everyone seems to charge deposit/withdrawal fees, so should I only keep large amounts of cryptos that I plan on holding in my wallet?

why no Siacoin?

BTC transfer is a meme, swap it for ETH, LTC, or a stable proof of stake coin if holding long term and then move those instead.

>I have practically nothing in crypto
Go make some money wagecucking then

You will never make it.

Depends, I think NEO and OMG still have some room to grow. XRP has an announcement right around the corner so you might be able to make a quick buck if they have big news. ANT and DNT are probablyalso gonna grow some more in the future and have potential. If you want to make big gains on a rather unknown coin I like MYST and I think it will have it's time where it moons to atleast x2 probably more.

Stupid dev, vaporware coin
shilled ASIC miner for said vaporware coin when it already has retarded high coin supply
has stated that he wants the price to be low
bitbean is unironically a better investment than SC

Stop spoonfeeding you cuck. You think Veeky Forums is leddit? You think we want more newfags on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums?

XRP, although it might be a pump and dump coin

Only the real deal - no memes.
50% BTC
10% BCC
25% ETH
15% XMR

>BCC

>BCC

Spotted the retarded

go all in on NEO, bitch's about to pump like a motherfucker

Why NEO now?
What about BAT?

(biased, I hold some)

My most recent purchase was CAT. Etherdelta may be tricky to use as an exchange for a noob though. Once CAT hits Bittrex it should be an easy double up.

what coin wallet u go with?
asking for a friend

Don't listen to retarded bitcoin shills. I invite you to read up on BAT / Brave. It's an extremely safe play, has fundamentals about as strong as any other token.

I'd go 50% ETH/30%BCH/10%BAT/10% on an ICO that looks promising to you.

A year ago you'd be "roasting" me for putting in ETH, and telling me ETC is where the real money's at. I've been on this site long enough to know the trolls are never happy; did pretty well for myself.

BlockCAT

btc

well aren't u just a fucking cunt...

what is a good wallet to get? i want a wallet that can be used on any cpu not just one and risk that one fucking up and losing my wallet...

>XRP
>XMR
>ETH
>IOTA

Each one of these has a real reason to exist.

Got all of those. Comfy feels.

try-hard post

LTC/ETH/XMR

BAT

Pic extremely related.

Oh boy I found a coin which has an ATH 25k+ sats before the great bitcoin split and is less than 10k sats now, there will be a major major release in the coming months which will give a new ATH and massive gains.

presale.etherparty.io/a/812Z6mw2

So how about you tell us or are you going to be a cunt about it?

Are there universal on line wallets?
I can't be downloading 2Tbs+ of blockchains for every coin I decide to buy

Which exchange has the widest range of cryptos (including those that are recent)? Bittrex?

Also, what do you do when the price of a coin you hold is going down? Hodl or sell before it didn't get worse?

XRP. By this time next year you will be kicking yourself for not buying it, just like you kick yourself for not buying ETH last year.

I already bought some, but it's going down right now. Hold it?

Of course. Buy more. These prices are basically charity

It is listed on polo and bittrex and is a top 30 coin in coinmarketcap

why should it go up once fees are activated? i dont get it

Just read a lot here and other places. Look for hype and excitement, you can sense it with some coins. Move on then and take moderate gains, fall back to bit coin and repeat. After tracking for a bit it is pretty simple to follow the hype. I have been up 400% since I got in in late May.

Whiepapers and business plans mean dick. Just follow hype, excitement, and group thought. Keep to the bigger coins and don't fall for tiny pump and dumps. For longer term holds look at market cap versus coin cap.

i need a wallet that is not restricted to only one cpu/device.
suggestions anybody ?

Well you have so little in there pajeet I guess it's not that big of a risk for you anyways. I wouldn't worry.

I suggest getting a job that pays minimum rupee and after a month of saving buy up some respectable coin.

Nice of you to help new people out user. What people don't understand is the more people joining crypto the faster we get to mass adoption of crypto for real gains

Omg and neo probably safe investments. You can catch some moon missions but since you're just starting I would buy these two.